why believers are too fascinated with end of world theme?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (45 posts)
  1. pisean282311 profile image62
    pisean282311posted 13 years ago

what is thought process behind it?

1. earnestshub profile image81
      earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I believe it is martyrdom, self hate, and loathing of others myself. smile
      Their subconscious knows the real truth, and they sort of know that enough for it to hit the lizard brain with a nasty fight or flight reaction, so they buy into religion for support. No problem with that so much as their subconscious still won't buy the religious story, which is so ridiculous that the only way it can happen is through indoctrination. I have seen religionists who swear they were never indoctrinated, but half a dozen questions later..... so every time they feel insecure, they have to ram it down everyone else's throat. That is why the end of time thing works for them. They are on a path of destruction in the only life they will ever have. The trend to "end of times" type thinking is more a fundy thing that stems from the bible.

This life is heaven when it is going well, and hell when it aint!

2. profile image0
      Onusonusposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I believe that the origional intention for these passages of scripture was to instill the principle of being ever vigilant and prepared for the arrival of Christ. There are some however that like to speculate over the unimportant aspects such as chronology, or to ascertain exactly which parts have already happened and which are yet to be fufilled.
      The parable of the ten virgins explicitly shows that what truly matters is to simply be prepared to meet him upon his arrival.

3. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is when us unbelievers get pay back for not believing. We get to grovel on bended knee before the Lord. sad

Of course they are preying for this. Not so much they will give you the keys to their Mustang, mind you. lol lol

1. profile image0
        just_curiousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol And I could imagine you asking for them. That's too funny. I'm going to have to remember that one.

2. earnestshub profile image81

lol lol lol I gotta remember that as well!

3. luvpassion profile image62
        luvpassionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is when us unbelievers get pay back for not believing. We get to grovel on bended knee before the Lord.

So religion is more about punishing the unbelievers then?

Change happens...even scientist say the sun will burn itself out eventually. Mother earth is constently being bombarded with man's willingness to exploit nature.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58

Nothing about every knee shall bend then?

But - yes. Religion is divisive. You are either with us, or against us. Mother earth is being bombarded. Not for one second do I think we will bring about the end of the world. We may wipe ourselves out - sure.

What does that have to do with the religious "end times" when Jesus returns exactly?

4. Beelzedad profile image58
        Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Don't forget about grovelling before Allah, and Zeus, and Thor, and Odin, and ... smile

4. ceciliabeltran profile image64
      ceciliabeltranposted 13 years agoin reply to this

they dream about it and they take it literally.

But the end of the world is always about a shift in consciousness. The psyche senses it, the human dreams it and having no capacity to understand what the vision means interprets it as a literal end of the world.

I once lectured on symbolic language and this woman who had a bout of insanity said that when she was insane, her mind told her that she was the leader of the world and she could spend all her money on herself. She did and was committed to a mental institution.

This woman was then better but needed to understand the root of her insanity. She was taught to give give give. She was a social worker. She was like a drone to her family. Naturally, you cannot exhaust yourself that way, so her psyche snapped.

I told her that the her insanity was her subconscious speaking in symbolic language that she can command her own life and she can use her resources to sustain herself. Her mind was telling her to love herself and take care of her own body. To the mind the "world" is the reality of the body, not the actual world.

So the "end of the world" is just symbolic of the end of old ways.

5. profile image0
      AKA Winstonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Why are believers preoccupied with the end of the world?

Because they have not yet figured out that a second coming would mean an end to Nascar.

1. profile image0
        Motown2Chitownposted 13 years agoin reply to this

THAT is funny stuff!!!!! big_smile

6. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Personally, I think too many believers (believers in Bible based religions that is) miss the very important statement that Jesus makes that none of us will know the hour or the day of the "end times."  Same with an unbelieving conspiracy theorists - they point to absolutely EVERYTHING as being a part of something bigger.  Fact is, the world will end when it will end.  Or, it will not.  Either way, some of us will be long in the grave before that ever happens.  Or, it may happen in our lifetime.  But, since no one knows the hour or the day, I think a lot more concentration should be given to THIS hour and THIS day.  The future will or won't be.  I have only the guarantee of right now.  In my personal opinion, which is worth little, obsession with either the past or the future is unhealthy.  You can't change the past and may not be here to affect the future.  Do what you can when you can.  Neat question.

smile

7. profile image0
      CollBposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The 'end of the world' idea really infiltrates into your mind especially when told as a child that the Second Coming is near.  At one stage I wondered what the point was, of doing anything really if the world was going to end with the good people the victors and Christ coming to save his people by descending from a chariot.

The armeggedan theory was difficult to grasp but overwhelming nonetheless.

However with the natural earthquakes and disasters, it's easy to see this theory as being 'fulfilled' and 'what next?' springs to mind.

Yes I noticed the joy on my christian neighbors face as she told me her 6 week old understanding of the Japanese tsunami. This is the third time she has told me this story, and she lights up like an ornament when she relishes the end of time. I would like to see the poor thing certified insane and kept away from other peoples children myself. smile

8. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

fear - especially when trying to convert people
      fantasy about escape - from an 'imperfect' polluted world and from unfairness and mean people

9. yolanda yvette profile image61
      yolanda yvetteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I guess it's kind of like non-believers being too fascinated with the theme of Christ-bashing, huh?

We just don't know why.

Of course we do. We are sick of all the conflicts and hatred you spread.

Keep your nonsensical beliefs to yourself and no one will say a word.

Deal?

1. yolanda yvette profile image61

You are a hypocrite.  For what you accuse others of doing, you yourself do.

No. Please stop lying about me. Keep your beliefs to yourself an I will not tell you how silly they are.

Deal?

1. yolanda yvette profile image61

No deal.

Yeah - pretty sure you would want to keep sticking it to us.

This is why your religion causes so many conflicts. sad

1. Jerami profile image59
                  Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It seems as though YOU are causing a quite  bit of conflict in the worl!!!!    But I am trying to ignore that and love Ya any way!

10. mathsciguy profile image60
      mathsciguyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm sure the reason is different for different people. 

But what I find the most ironic is how there is always the implied (and sometimes explicit) threat of believers being subjugated and tormented by the heathen non-believers, a la the Left Behind series and other post-rapture fiction.  I personally believe that non-believers have much more reason to fear a ruling power of persons of faith than vice versa.

11. profile image57
      lawyer2posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Mayan, Egyption civilizations both have a calendar that has end date 21 December 2012 .Mayan calender even till date has been spot on for every Solar Eclipse. Mayan or Eygptions calender don't say end of the world but end of a cycle that can lead to catastrophic things on Earth. 2012 December will see biggest Solar activity in 8000 year as per scientist and its the same time when Earth's magnetism will be lowest in 2500 years as per scientists..

12. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

They love to live in fear. Not to mention that they have nothing better to do with their lives. lol

2. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

I suspect the alternative is far scarier then believing in end times stuff? hmm

1. profile image0
      just_curiousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think you're right. It's always seemed to me they figured problems can't be fixed and it's inevitable that they get worse. You can't have a conversation on the world because every answer is 'god wil set it straight. It was meant to be this way.' It used to be you could throw your hands up in frustration and change the subject to the weather. Now even that's a loaded topic.

2. pisean282311 profile image62
      pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

?

1. kirstenblog profile image78
        kirstenblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The alternative is that there is no God coming to sort us evil sinners out and we have to do the work of creating the world we want to live in ourselves. Religion creates a really great way out of taking responsibility, God will just sort it all out so we don't have to.

I also think the very idea of religion is how it gets started, with this idea of an afterlife that reflects the life you lived. The alternative there is most easily to realize that the world ends every day, every time someone dies. When a person dies, if there is no afterlife and God to make it all mean something, the world for them has most certainly ended, more like it never even was in the first place. That is in my opinion a very sad thought. I don't think as a species we get on very well with the idea that we are not inherently important, not a part of some grand plan but more like celestial farts that fade all to fast. Religion and the end of times stuff sounds easier to believe in to me, still don't tho cause I lived in the show me state for too long!

deep thoughts...

3. ceciliabeltran profile image64
      ceciliabeltranposted 13 years agoin reply to this

yes the eternity of loser-ness. lol

4. profile image0
      AKA Winstonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

(I suspect the alternative is far scarier then believing in end times stuff?)

Personally, I cannot imagine anything more terrifying than to be surrounded by a heavently host of evangelical Christians all saying, I told you so, over and over for eternity.

Now that is a fear I can relate to! lol

lol

3. skyfire profile image81
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

If (end_of_word==1)
    {
    easy_conversion();
    easy_exploitation();
    followers++;
    belief_subscription++;
    more_monies();
    kick_atheists();
    }
    if (end_of_world==0)
    {
    get_life();
    get_wife();
    get_job();
    buck_priest_who_claimed_eow();
    }
    else
    {
    end_of_thread();
    }

1. wizbitz profile image60
      wizbitzposted 13 years agoin reply to this

is that C++?

cool

4. ceciliabeltran profile image64
    ceciliabeltranposted 13 years ago

The End of the World, is just a way we communicate the changing of the human consciousness when old paradigms become worn. Some "cells" start walking around with placards saying the end is near. It usually just signals change.

5. Pierre Savoie profile image59
    Pierre Savoieposted 13 years ago

Religions are often super-plastic about the time-frame involved.  Jesus said (referring to his contemporaries) THIS generation won't die before seeing the Kingdom of Heaven.  Then all the wishy-washy religious arguments and theorizing begin.  Was he looking at an olive-tree that symbolizes the nation of Israel?  Or at a brick wall that symbolizes when we will start living in inflatable houses?  Maybe he was staring at some birds whose egg-shells will store too much strontium-90 and they will all die off.  Who knows?

It's all too much for them to admit that religious views written on sheep-skins from sheep that shepherds killed personally are all "fail".  What really happens is humans have no guarantee of survival, the land-masses are slowly moving as the odd big earthquake moves a tiny parcel of land, and in 50 million years Africa collides into Europe and makes the Mediterranean Mountains.  Whether we are still here or not depends only on our efforts.  I tell you, folks, an hour of reading a science book achieves more than an hour of prayer.  So does an hour of spin-class, for that matter.  Or an hour of just about any work.  Maybe you can spend your hour cleaning your house more, or cooking more healthy food?  It can all mean the difference between humans enduring (hey, maybe we'll end up looking like those Gray aliens and then we'll time-travel and visit the older versions of ourselves in the past??) and humans perishing.

6. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 13 years ago

I am a believer and I am not preoccupied, I just go with the flow and focus on the here and now. If we worried about all of that in our home, nothing would ever get done.

7. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

why believers are too fascinated with end of world theme?

We could ask ... "why does the farmer worry about the coming winter when his crops re still in the field?"

Everything on earth has it sesons; It would seem natural for the earth itself also to have its sesons.
      A NEW season began for mankind when we became dependent upon oil and coal. That season will end when we have consumed all of that which is there to be had.
       Should we worry about that?  Sure we should because we can do something about tht.
        The shifting of the earths tectonic plates must someday come to the end of that cycle; should we worry bout that? Nope, cause like grandpaw said, "If Ya cain't or won't do anything about something, why waste your time worrying about it."

But on the othr hand,  Ya can get ready for winter time. 
       I'm just waiting or the apple tree to come to the end of its cycle so I can pick up some apples off of the ground.

To answer the OP;    I don't know!

8. Pierre Savoie profile image59
    Pierre Savoieposted 12 years ago

The end of the world is always a fascinating theme.  The truth is we do live on a fragile Earth with a bubble-like crust that can gush lava in many places at any time, that can shake us to death or flood us with a tsunami.  Yellowstone Park can turn into a volcanic "traps" or big lava-region at any time.  Our Sun orbits up and down the Galactic Plane and every time it crosses nearby stars it perturbs the Oort cloud to send a comet down on our planet a million years later.  Every 60 million years this happens (we're overdue!)

It's bad enough without having to invent stories of vengeful sky-pappies who will even reach out into the atmosphere for carbon-dioxide gas molecules of long-dead sinners, re-stitch them into exact carbon-copies of people who looked and felt like the sinners (Hold up!  Are we SURE this fabricated human is really the original?) only to toss them into Hell.  It sure sounds like a sick hobby.  Who takes the trouble to construct a model-airplane only to re-enact some Battle of Britain flame-out or gas-tank explosion to destroy what you took such pains to make?  I guess this sick-o God can do what he wants, but any simulacrum he makes won't be me, I'm not duped, I know the science of irrecoverable entropy of carbon-dioxide molecules once you're dead, and I'm not worried, threatened or scared into obeying arbitrary sheep-skin ethical rules because of that.

1. Disappearinghead profile image60
      Disappearingheadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Pierre wrote "......Hold up!  Are we SURE this fabricated human is really the original?) only to toss them into Hell.  It sure sounds like a sick hobby.  Who takes the trouble to construct a model-airplane only to re-enact some Battle of Britain flame-out or gas-tank explosion to destroy what you took such pains to make?  I guess this sick-o God can do what he wants...."

The man gets to the heart of the matter here. This image god is unbiblical and thanks to the fundies, who choose to believe in pagan doctrines rather than studying the bible themselves, God's good name is slandered throughout the World.

9. Pierre Savoie profile image59
    Pierre Savoieposted 12 years ago

I don't think the image of God is going to be improved through any kind of study.  Do you think your Christian sect has the answers to make it all better or something?

1. Disappearinghead profile image60
      Disappearingheadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes because the image you have of God as revealed by your post above is derived from what you have heard the fundies have said. Whit the fundies have said about eternal torture in the flames of hell is unbiblical. If the fundies studied their bibles, they would see this.

As to making it all better, what are you specifically refering to?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)