What does Atheist believe in?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (32 posts)
  1. profile image57
    Tinaldposted 13 years ago

Is it true that atheists have no faith in anything?  I mean it could not be science cause real scientists are dreamers who believe that sky is the limit.  It will be impossible for them to think linear.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Atheists just do not believe in a god. The End.

1. profile image57
        Tinaldposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Do you mean to tell me that life has no purpose.  Everything is an accident or what?

They do not believe in a god. The End.

My life has purpose thanks. I do all sorts of good stuff. I am going mountain biking with my wife and will be communing with nature shortly. It doesn't get much more purposeful than that.

Your purpose seem to be an anonymous Internet troll being willfully ignorant and causing conflicts by spreading nonsense.

To each his own. wink

1. profile image57

I am sorry, but what is the purpose of you live today, but you may die tomorrow and even everything that you have could be destroyed in one day.  I am sorry, but I failed to see that purpose.  What happen if it rains and mother nature does not let you ride your bike or much of anything.  What then?

Silly - I failed to see it because it is not there. Stop telling me nonsense. In any case - I am English - I am used to cycling in the rain.

Your purpose still seems to be causing conflicts by spreading nonsense though. Not a very worthy purpose from my perspective.

As I said - to each his own. wink

2. Beelzedad profile image59
              Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Rather interesting and yet hilarious reasoning.

You fail to see the purpose people put into their own lives. They do so because they understand that when they die, that's it. So, they fill their lives with everything they can in the short time they have in order to live a rich and full life based on what they want in life.

And, you fail to see this.

Instead, you do not enrich your life, you do nothing to find any purpose at all other than what one single book tells you to do. And, it only tells you to be subservient and obedient to the whims of a invisible god. This is what you consider  the purpose of life.

If mother nature decided Mark couldn't ride his bike or anything else, don't you think you too would not be able to do anything, either. What is the point of that logic?

Even if that occurred, Mark has enough brains and initiative to find other purposes in his life.

And, you will still have no purpose other than being subservient and obedient. To each his own. smile

2. recommend1 profile image61
      recommend1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I find that most atheists can spell and most religious trolls exhibit low levels of understanding - and grammar.  I guess that could be lack of education.

1. profile image57

Could be, so maybe you there to teach grammar and educate me, but then if I am not there or I take my time to write in better then your purpose is nothingness and an ant may have better purpose than you.

1. recommend1 profile image61

Could you translate that into English for me ?

If you are an English as a second language speaker then I am more than prepared to translate for you if you say anything worth saying.  But you sound just like those Hillbilly types with the long faces and guns.

1. profile image57

It is ok if you do not want to answer, but it seems like you are worthless on earth, cause every living organsm has purpose except for you.

1. kirstenblog profile image78
              kirstenblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Have you asked very living organism if it has purpose? Or are you assuming because it is convenient and supports what you want to believe wink

2. recommend1 profile image61

Ah - the "you are worthless" argument. 

Nobody has a purpose on earth or elsewhere - I do have a mission to hunt down trolls though. 

Purpose requires pre-ordination - and that is pure non-starting BS, your only purpose is to replace yourself to keep the cycle of life going until something useful pops up.

3. kirstenblog profile image78

The only question here that seems genuiene, you really don't understand where an atheist (or agnostic type, someone who doesn't think it matters one wit if God is or isn't) is coming from. It's not a big secret tho, I suspect you could be told in a thousand different ways and still not listen.
         Do you have any idea what sort of discipline is required in scientific method? Dreamers are a fine thing but you cannot be dreaming while working your equations to back your theory up, nor can you be dreaming while conducting experiments, without totally messing up your results and credibility. You might need to be a dreamer to start with but you need to stop dreaming to do real science.  Totally insulting and offensive, the reason I doubt you care for anything more then upsetting others so you can validate your sense of being superior to others.

1. profile image57

Actually, I do understand agnostic.  I may not agree with them in everything, but I get them perfectly.  It is the notion that you don't have faith that I will would to understand.  Most inventions that happen weren't they accidents?

Generally, no. Those accidental inventions are just a great tool for teachers to try to spark interest in bored kids in science classes.  Invention and innovation is born of necessity. When things are easy we don't innovate or invent much, when life gets hard, we start innovating and inventing our way out of trouble wink

I wonder what this current financial crisis is going to motivate inventors to invent, and innovators to innovate smile

4. Titen-Sxull profile image71
      Titen-Sxullposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have to agree with Mark Knowles. Atheists do not believe in gods - that's it. There are atheists who do believe in the supernatural or in aliens the afterlife, etc, the only qualifier for atheism is that you can't believe in god(s).

2. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

I have faith that religious extremists will always come up with inflammatory and insulting threads to stir up those who don't agree with them. I also have faith that they will find ways to justify their aggressive and disruptive behavior by making up some excuse of imperative.

1. profile image57

Does that mean you don't use the word faith in your vocabulary.  I am just trying to understand where you coming from.  i am not trying to judge you or anything.

Faith simply means that I have confidence in someone or something. It is not hard to have faith that humans will behave as humans. The word faith is the most suitable because I would genuinely love to be pleasantly surprised by humanity, faith leaves room for me to be wrong.

1. profile image57

Ok, so you don't believe in the goodness of humanity, but didn't all nations or most send money to Haiti to help them rebuild and now to Japan, it prove that some part of humanity is trying to get better.  If you have such a negative view of the world, what is your prupose then

Um, where exactly did I say I don't believe in the goodness of humanity? That is not the definition of God you know wink

God ≠ The Goodness of humanity

1. profile image57

You said that you have faith that human will behave as humans and that you will love to be surprise by humanity that's the reason I thought you did not believe in the goodness of humanity

I don't follow your logic at all and can only account for your drawing the conclusion have drawn is to think that you are looking to make generalizations that will prove you right and those who disagree with you as wrong.

I do not see any genuine interest in you to actually understand the other side as you have no motivation to. You seem more intent on proving that to believe in being decent, or to see the goodness in humanity you have to believe in God, and since this is the core of your belief there cannot be any purpose in this discussion.

This discussion, like life itself, is inconsequential, it doesn't matter if we talk or not, it doesn't matter how clever you think you are nor how clever I think I am. I am only here for the fun, while I wait for boiler to fill with hot water for a bath, then I am off!

2. kirstenblog profile image78

To live. To live in this precise moment. To appreciate the exquisite beauty of this exact moment, nothing more. Why do you need more then that? What greed motivates this need for importance?
            It is a need I have in the past shared, the need to be important to some God character but I am letting it go as I cannot justify it. I am but a mote of dust dancing briefly in the sunlight before falling to rest somewhere.

1. profile image57

I can appreciate what you are saying, but as for me that may not be enough.

1. profile image0
                Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

yeah, I need something more than just 'living in the moment' - I find something to do that is pleasurable to me eg I like reading about ideas and formulating my own ideas.  I like creating something new eg writing a hub. 

Living by a prescribed religion is like being in intellectual prison

1. secularist10 profile image61
                  secularist10posted 13 years agoin reply to this

And some are like maximum-security prisons!

2. profile image0
                Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Live has 'meaning' when one can look forward to getting up each day, because they have something they like to do.
                Some people feel happy in finding that 'meaning' in belief in god.  Others don't.
                Found an interesting blog about being a 'spiritual atheist' - the word spiritual is a loaded one

http://40yearoldatheist.com/spiritual-a … l/2010/04/

1. recommend1 profile image61

Spiritiual is simple enough, it is just the belief that there is more to reality than what we see and think.  It is nothing about gods, though those who have gods believe they are spiritual.

3. secularist10 profile image61
    secularist10posted 13 years ago

What do you enjoy doing? What gets you excited? What stimulates your creativity? What makes you feel like you were born to do that thing? What gives you genuine, lasting happiness and pride?

These are just a few of the questions you can think about to understand what "purpose" means in a godless world.

God was a concept developed and sustained for a long, long time because the vast majority of people had miserable, awful, dead-end lives with no freedom and little happiness. What little happiness they did manage to enjoy came from the comfort of "God's purpose" or booze and sex.

Today in most of the world, we have the luxury of pursuing more or less whatever we truly enjoy. There are very few boundaries to self expression and ambition. This is why god is not necessary. We don't need him for comfort, we don't need him to explain how the world works, we don't need him for purpose. This is a major reason why atheism and non-belief are exploding in popularity today. And why God is increasingly out of a job.

4. profile image52
    nickj147posted 13 years ago

Faith is the belief in a concept for which there is no empirical evidence. This would be all well and good, indeed people could belive whatever fairy stories they liked if it didn't affect the rest of us. Unfortunatly these moronic ideas overflow to affect many aspects of life and cause more misery than anything else. I wish all intellectually deficient religious nutcases would just go away and leave us all alone!!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)