Purpose of Religion

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (134 posts)
  1. Lets Learn profile image54
    Lets Learnposted 12 years ago

What is the purpose of religion? Can anything other than religion save the same purpose?

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

To maintain the power base, perks and life style of the upper echelon.

Yes, govt. can and does accomplish the same thing.

One rules by fear and one by force, but other than there isn't much difference.  In both cases a few reap the benefits of controlling the masses.

Lets Learnposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If consolidation of power is the sole purpose of religion, then why is religion active even in communist nations? Russian orthodox church was active, at least clandestinely, during the Soviet era and now it is all powerful. Look at China, despite being a communist nation majority of Chinese people are superstitious: believe in luck, charm and what not?

I'm confused.  What does communism have to do with the powerful hold that organized religion has on people?  Do you think the VIPs of the church live the same life as the man in the street?

Or that communists aren't superstitious somehow?  I'm not seeing the connection.

Technically the communists do not believe in religion. Moreover the power is already consolidated, then what is purpose of religion in a communist nation? There people go beyond power. There is an inner need. The point is religion is not just someone trying to consolidate power, it is people seeking it. None can consolidate power unless people go for it.

I get it.  I think.

But communists do believe in religion - it is just the official govt. line that they don't.  And it is not the people believing that receive the power; it is the elite top of the religion that does.

It is a method aside from government to grab power over the masses, and that power translates into not only the power itself (which is what some want) but the perks that go with it.  Better living quarters.  Better food.  Better cars, chauffeurs, servants, etc.  All the perks of the powerful.

In return for money, obeisance, respect and all the other trappings of the ultra powerful they offer the myth of eternal life.  It costs them little more than a few hours on a soapbox but people want that belief so badly that they will give anything for supporting "evidence" in the form of reassurance from the elite of the religion that their wish will be granted.

Note that I use "religion" in the form of organized religion with churches and all the mumbo jumbo that goes with them, not the spiritual belief that people hold in God.  That is another topic altogether.

yes. that is true. It is the insecurity of people that fan the need for a religion. Some people if there is no religion the world will be a better place. May be it is not so. If not the religion we know today, there be some thing else to fill that vacuum, because people will always look for something or other to hold on. In the absence of these organized religions, there be thousands of mini religions spread all over the world.

2. Lets Learn profile image54

yes. that is true. It is the insecurity of people that fan the need for a religion. Some people think if there is no religion then the world will be a better place. May be it is not so. If not the religion as we know today, there will be some thing else to fill that vacuum, because people will always look for something or other to hold on. In the absence of these organized religions, there be thousands of mini religions spread all over the world.

Oh there already are those thousands of mini religions.  They're called "southern Baptist" or "Catholic" or "Mormon" or "sunni" of "sufi".

How many times have we seen in these forums a good Christian exclaim that Mormons (or Catholics or Jehovah's Witnesses or whatever isn't their own church) are not real Christians?

I think most people choose (or make up) their religion based on what they want to hear from that religion.  If it says they can't drink coffee but they want to do so, then that religion is obviously wrong.  If it says they must worship on Saturday but they want to shop or play that day then that religion is obviously wrong.  The right one seems to inevitably agree with whatever they want to believe while all the other, obviously wrong, religions profess to know a different truth.

2. aguasilver profile image70
                  aguasilverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's what is called the God shaped hole.

2. jacharless profile image75
      jacharlessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The purpose to is satisfy human ego, the humanism.
      And its balance, science, is the other 'thing' that saves the same purpose. Both are old, worn out relics. Altruism is the next 'evolution' of humanity. It will exceed any sensation and any construct of mechanics, revealing what humans truly are, once again. Liken it to gaining ones memory back after a dose of amnesia or ages in a coma.

James.

3. peterxdunn profile image60
      peterxdunnposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The purpose of religion is the same now as it was when it was first invented 6,000 years ago in Sumeria. That is: to control the way people view their world. To control how - and what - people think. This is what allowed the priest - kings of early history to become priest-kings. It allowed them to control and organise mass behaviour. This is how the first cities got built. It also allowed them to organize people into armies so that the first wars could be fought. Without religion there would be no war. Time to wake up folks.

4. A Troubled Man profile image57
      A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have no idea what the purpose of religion is other than something you have to do on Sunday morning instead of golfing or fishing.

I do know for a fact thought that a quilt sewing party can serve pretty much the same purpose.

5. lizzieBoo profile image59
      lizzieBooposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What do you mean by religion? Religion has no definition of its own. I got a friend whose religion is Led Zeplin. Isn't it essentially a verb? If we ask what is the purpose of religion, isn't it a bit like asking, what's the purpose of order? It entirely depends on context surely.

1. earnestshub profile image82
        earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm a bit "religious" about Led Zeplin myself, but as I understand the word.
        Religion, Noun:

A strong belief in a supernatural power or powers that control human destiny according to my dictionary. smile

1. DrMikeFitzpatrick profile image37
          DrMikeFitzpatrickposted 12 years agoin reply to this

key word. CONTROL is its purpose.

6. Freegoldman profile image40
      Freegoldmanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet-napoleon bonaparte

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish-anonymus

Religion does three things quite effectively: Divides people, Controls people, Deludes people.-Carlespie Mary Alice McKinney

2. profile image0
    Sherlock221bposted 12 years ago

I believe the main purpose of religion is to help people come-to-terms with their mortality.  Death is something most of us don't like to admit to, so we create heavens populated by gods, so that we have somewhere to go when our body stops functioning. 

There also used to be the need for religion to explain how the universe came into being.  Now, science knows that all of the many thousands of creation stories have no basis in reality.  For some religious people to be able to maintain their hope in an aftelife, they must deny the evidence of evolution, because it goes against their religious texts.  To start questioning the  foundation on which their religion stands, could bring the whole edifice down about them.  So, fundamentalism is a reaction to reality and the fear that what they believe just may not be true after all.

I don't see that there is much that can serve the same purpose of religion.  Rationalism, leaves a vacuum, where there is no hope of surviving physical death, so rationalism is rejected.

1. Freegoldman profile image40

religion is a way of life that you may or may not choose to follow. It helps you in your life all around. it helps you find confort in god(whatever you believe in) when you loose someone or going through a though time. its something really beautiful.

3. earnestshub profile image82
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

There is no purpose for religion other than to be a training ground for living a gutless life on behalf of an invisible sky daddy as far as I see it. smile

4. profile image0
    wongomowaleposted 12 years ago

It has many purposes. It gives people hope and meaning in life, but it also has been used for greed, political power, or to justify violence and war. I may be biased because I think religion does more harm than good, but really religion has no good purposes. I think people can find meaning in their lives without religion.

1. Freegoldman profile image40

I have often wondered about just that. It is said that in ancient times, before we had a monetary system. The leaders of the church, would sit a top the hill, and look down upon the towns people, and point their fingers at whoever it was that caught their attention, and accuse them of one indiscretion or another, and demand pennants. " two goats" ..or maybe " two chickens"..and for desert the family's " virgin daughter " i suppose, that's a pretty jaded view, but,,i see no difference from back then, to the point to where we are today, the only difference is, today..we do have a monetary system, so, that's what they go after. I see religion as a business, and a way to control the masses. My Religion, Catholicism, well, i always questioned the fact that they needed an army. Why would a church need an army? It's insane!!

Religion is, and has always been the first tool that is used when taking control of another land, this very nation, it was the missionary's that came over first, and literally kidnapped the native American Indians children, forcing them into the church, all in the name of the lord!! It's so perverse when one thinks about it.

1. profile image52
        ibneahmadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It was using religion as a tool to do politics; it has nothing to do with the truthful religion.

2. Castlepaloma profile image77
        Castlepalomaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Freegoldman

well said

5. profile image52
    ibneahmadposted 12 years ago

Purpose of religion is to guide human beings in matters ethical, morals and spiritual.

1. profile image52

Another purpose of religion is to know the Creator God and to be close to Him.

1. profile image52

Another purpose of religion is to free man from slavery of evil forces.

1. profile image52

Religion teaches to respect others; to love them and not to hate them.

Apparently that purpose of religion is a miserable failure, followers of all religions have learnt to hate each other than to love or respect.

1. profile image52

It is failure of the corrupt people not failure of the religion.

1. profile image0
                jomineposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Apparently all religious followers are corrupt and hence failed.

6. earnestshub profile image82

The purpose of religion is to enslave the mind of the terminally dull to believe they are all sheep and the big bad wolf of their own making can be kept at bay by gathering together and bleating a lot of stone aged myths, and handing over their money.

7. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

Religion is about the future and higher forces to control same for one's benefit. Superstition may be the most basic form of religion.

8. Jonathan Janco profile image61
    Jonathan Jancoposted 12 years ago

The purpose of religion is too brainwash people into liking excessive headgear.

I dunno Jonathan maybe the popes head gear is for skydivin or something. I never ride without my helmet!

I have not worked out what a turban is for, but I know they are about 300 yards long when ya roll em out.
      It would be a great way to carry dunny paper. smile

may be the head gears are there to cool the head...too much religion may send the temperature soaring.

Another fine theory from one of the the massively intellectually gifted individuals on hubpages! smile

9. peterxdunn profile image60
    peterxdunnposted 12 years ago

I say: get rid of all religion - 'cos religion enslaves our minds. Get rid of all the banks - and create our own banks that do not enslave us through debt. Get rid of all politicians - 'cos they're just frontmen for the banks anyway.

We can then run our own lives under a direct democracy system that has only one primary rule: all human life is sacred. No compromise. Simple.

Without religion there would be no hate. Without the banks there would be no debt or poverty. Without any leaders we would not be led into wars - ordinary people do not wage war on each other - you need leaders/politicians: following the orders of the banks, to achieve this.

1. lizzieBoo profile image59
      lizzieBooposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Four legs good -two legs bad!

1. peterxdunn profile image60

And quite right lizzieBoo. Get rid of Naploleon and his bankers: the Rothschilds, and leave the rest of us down here on Animal Farm to make hay while the sun shines.

peterxdunn

I say: get rid of all religion - 'cos religion enslaves our minds. Get rid of all the banks - and create our own banks that do not enslave us through debt. Get rid of all politicians - 'cos they're just frontmen for the banks anyway.

We can then run our own lives under a direct democracy system that has only one primary rule: all human life is sacred. No compromise. Simple.

I agree with you for most part, yet we know we can't get rid of these things, Just shrink it all down to give greater power for the people rather than allowing the brainwashers and the overly greedy to control us.

Hi CastlePaloma

What do we need politicians for? Politicians do not run a country. Countries are run by civil servants/administrators. So we set up a system of rolling consultation using computer networks to which everyone has access. Everyone is asked how they would like their taxes to be spent and which laws need to be enacted to improve our societies, etc. We have the computing power to do this. If the administrators do not deliver the 'will of the people' we simply fire them. All laws enacted under this system of direct democracy are subsumed under a Universal Bill of Rights that applies right across the board to everybody without exception.

Not only can we do this. We absolutely HAVE TO DO THIS. This is the only way we can be truly free of debt, poverty and war.

1. Castlepaloma profile image77

True 80% of the people do not like the government and over powers the people. I would not want to hold the lease satisfied job in the nation as a public servant right now. The real true leaders are the many small groups of people, still politician are people too.

Look at it this way, the Government is a fungus, and the people are the trees

The tree needs the fungus to survive and the fungus need the tree to survive. The fungus protects us from dieses and cools our roots

The downside of the fungus today, is it's strangling us and trying to chock us to death. We the tree must do better in controlling the fungus in order to live well.

Sorry, being an artist, it’s the best way I could explain it.

Sorry. But we don't need them. Politicians are just part of the con trick that the banks play on us. They're part of the illusion that some call 'freedom' or 'democracy'. Politicians do not represent us. They represent themselves by doing the bidding of the banks - hoping to be tossed a bone in reward for performing the tricks - that the banks bid them play on us. There is only one way that mankind will free themselves from tyranny - that is by exercising power for themselves.

To get rid of completely, would turn into an anarchist state

To a degree we need government even though I dislike to say, but people do control most and each of us do most within one self. First and foremost

2. DrMikeFitzpatrick profile image37

it is pleasantly surprising to me to see someone who actually sees what is truth. around 1905, after the congress break for x-mas, they met and had a huge problem to deal with that never happened before. they had extra money left over from the year prior and did not know what to do with it. NONE of the politicians were paid then, all self-employed volunteers who took to running the country to heart, not for their wallets. i pledge allegiance, to the flag, and to the "REPUBLIC"....when we return to that state of government, we will be okay, as long as congress creates money, NOT a private foreign held corproation namely the Federal Reserve Bank (found in the white pages, not the blue ones).

10. earnestshub profile image82

Yet another purpose of religion is to tell others they are inferior by proxy. smile

Correct - and to create a hierarchical society where, 'everyone knows their place.' Well I say, 'sod that'.

and I say "sod that" along with you! smile

"So it's sod that from me, and it's sod that from him." (With apologies to the Two Ronnies.)

Sod has such a nice honest sound to it doncha think?

Yeah. And it rymes with...

lol I'm a bit slow tonight, bur I didn't have to go too deep into the alphabet to find that one.

You seem to have a dry sense of humour. smile

My great mate Keith is a pom, and he is a laugh a minute. He is a hubber too.
            Look Keith up, he is attemptedhumour on hubpages.
            Nice to have had the exchange with you. smile

11. ershruti304 profile image61
    ershruti304posted 12 years ago

The word religion has different meaning to different people. Most of the politicians use it for filling their vote banks. While others use it as a tool for dividing the humanity and ruling them.

But for me religion is lifeline that helps the individuals to take decisions in the situation of dilemma and doubt. It gives you peace and helps you to focus on your career as well as objective of life.

It feels great to know people like Mother Teresa, Florence Nightingale who have taught the world the religion of humanity. I am a follower of same religion and hope that one day can contribute for the cause of humanity.

1. profile image52

Your have a good objective in your mind; stick to it; i appreciate it.

12. profile image52

Purpose of religion is to guide humanity on the path of messengers prophets of the Creator God. They were the ones who received Word of Revelation from Him. They were truthful, humble and peaceful persons.

But who decides who is the prophet?

1. profile image52

The Word of Revelation from the Creator God sets who is a truthful prophet messenger of the Creator God.

How do you know what is revelation and who received revelation. Anyone can say they received revelation, and anyone can be a master

2. wilderness profile image94

If so, you would think he would tell us.  As it is all we really have is Joseph Smith since Christ.

13. lone77star profile image75
    lone77starposted 12 years ago

The purpose of religion is to awaken the true, spiritual self -- the sleeping immortal, within.

Too many organized religions pervert this purpose or lose sight of it through ego.

But any activity which has this as its purpose is automatically religious. So, the answer to your question is "no." Nothing can replace religion. Even Gautama Siddhartha was performing a religious action when he sat beneath the bodhi tree.

With religion, we take the good with the bad. We have to use our own "gut feeling" to tell the difference. But that takes humility and not buying into any dogma just because its old or popular.

14. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

Is two nails crossed in a boot heel, to keep the devil off one's track - religious? From Huckleberry Finn.

15. earnestshub profile image82

Religion's main purpose seems to be to give the terminally ignorant a way to explain all that they are too lazy or thick to learn about.

Much easier to just think goddunnit. smile

1. lone77star profile image75
      lone77starposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wow, Earnest. Spoken with such bold ignorance.

And what about the hard working, extremely intelligent scientists, researchers and engineers who love their fields of study, but also love God?

Earnest, your shallow, one-sided, one-dimensional diatribe is truly ignorant. wink

Want to discuss transister field effects? How about absorption and emission spectra? Or the forces involved in the gravitational collapse of an interstellar dust cloud? Or switching from science to literature, how about the use of implication to involve the reader more viscerally? Or switching again to art, how about the use of flow within the design of a landscape to achieve visual balance? Or switching to computer programming, how about the use of object oriented methods to achieve reusability of code?

We can discuss any of these without mentioning God, the Father in Heaven. Your claims remain groundless and non sequitur. Yes, some believers are lazy. Yes, some believers are thick and ignorant. But some humans are murderers. That doesn't make you a murderer, does it? Duh! Don't use such stupid illogic. lol

It is a poor reflection of your own state of ignorance and laziness that you make such statements. And it makes lousy conversation. Plus zero value in debate. smile

Lies and half truths or insulting others intelligence by saying they are ignorant isn't much of an argument.

No more convincing than a pious arrogant assumption of superiority. smile

The number of words you have heard of is quite good, now you just need to understand what you are saying and you will look as learned as you would like me to believe you are. lol

You seem like an intellectual lightweight to me. :

By the way your ego is hanging out. You are shouting in brown.
        Come to think of it that may be appropriate. smile

"Lies and half truths or insulting others intelligence by saying they are ignorant isn't much of an argument." And I couldn't agree more! So, why do you do it? wink

"No more convincing than a pious arrogant assumption of superiority." Again, I agree. Here's lookin' at you, kid. smile

"You seem like an intellectual lightweight to me." And I am. wink

"By the way your ego is hanging out. You are shouting in brown. Come to think of it that may be appropriate." Glad you noticed. I agree completely. But rather than discuss specifics of the topics, you discuss typography. Hey, I know something about typography, too. But did you notice your own ego? Hmmm! wink

"The number of words you have heard of is quite good, now you just need to understand what you are saying and you will look as learned as you would like me to believe you are." Is this an empty promise, or do you have something specific you'd like to discuss?

And your earlier statement, "Religion's main purpose seems to be to give the terminally ignorant a way to explain all that they are too lazy or thick to learn about" Sounds like an arrogant assumption of superiority, to me. lol

Try this out, smart guy. See if you can handle specifics of a topic, rather than mud-slinging generalities. I wouldn't be surprised if you can, but it would be a refreshing change of topic.

What's the relationship between an LC circuit and the effect of absorption and emission spectra? I didn't learn this in any book, but the realization of this while studying electronic engineering in 1976 was pretty cool. An electronic ephipany. cool

16. profile image52

Religion is guidance from the Creator God.

No it is NOT!

It is BELIEF in guidance from a creator god.

An entirely different thing.

Is TOO!

Can I shout louder than you, Earnest? Perhaps! But does that make either one of our statements any truer? Volume of voice (or typing) does not affect truth. All of your capitalization is empty posturing.

Certainly, belief has captivated many. There are those who believe, and there are those who know. There is continuity-based confidence, and there is paramita confidence (the transcendent kind untainted by any shred of doubt). This paramita confidence (true faith) is not observation (effect), but creation (cause).

And that really is a big difference. (Likely Earnest won't get it, but this is for those who might really want to know.)

Well I hardly ever use capitals or shout, I leave that to the constantly shouting and threatening religiously impaired. smile

The only people who are going to get it are those who enjoy deciphering word soup.

You have nothing but your belief. Nothing at all. smile

Hardly ever? Earnest, that's delightful. I'm happy for you. But about ten percent of the post in question is capitalized. I hardly ever shout, either (use over-the-top capitalization). I guess that makes us alike, huh? wink

"You have nothing but your belief. Nothing at all." Said by the physically impaired. Sad. sad

Damn right I'm physically impaired! I hurt my back....again! smile

I hope you don't hold that against me. smile

Sorry about that, Earnest. No, don't hold it against you.

I'm physically impaired, too. I can't get outside of my physical body as often as I'd like. It's a big universe out there. Don't need a spaceship to explore it all, though that would be nice. If you hear of anyone selling a used Constellation Class starship, please let me know. wink

I checked, but they seem to be in short supply and a bit expensive. smile

17. DavyCrockett profile image63
    DavyCrockettposted 12 years ago

It is interesting because Religion is man's way of organizing faith. Faith is actually different from Religion. Look at Gandhi, he looked down on organized faith, but had great faith himself. Love is the true faith. Everyone, even corrupt people, want love. Jesus died standing up for justice and love and Gandhi did the same. Jesus was Gandhi's role model, he wanted the world to know true love.

Gandhi was a Hindu. He has even written a number of books on Hinduism. He admired Jesus Christ. He was pained to see the real message of Christ was hardly practiced in the west. He believed in Koran, Jainism, Buddhism, and all other faiths of his time. That is not the kind of religion we are experiencing. It would be much better to live as a rational human than following any of today's religions.

18. profile image0
    Onusonusposted 12 years ago

Religion was instituted by God and all of his children are amenable to him. It is by sad experience that throughout the ages mankind has perverted this sacred institution by violence or other means of political usurpation, in order to control the hearts of their fellow beings, and in doing so, lead them away from truth.
    From the beginning God has commanded that his children gather together in solemn worship to honor and remember their creator so they will have a place in his presence.

The greatest abomination is not the organizing of religion, but of governments who suppress the freedom of the soul.

If the soul need freedom, it will find itself. There is no need of religion

1. profile image0
        Onusonusposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's debatable.

2. wilderness profile image94

Do you not then see the organizing of religion, with its 1000's of different versions of Truth, as a stumbling block to understanding what God wants of us?

It is to the point that it would take a lifetime of deep study, which few people are capable of and fewer yet are willing to do, to understand God desires at all.  It seems to me that it is organized religion that has done most of the political infighting both within its own organization as well as the surrounding government that has produced this sad state of affairs.

3. Evolution Guy profile image59
      Evolution Guyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol From the beginning 2,000 years ago? lol Crikey you guys are unedumakated. Did you actually go to school?

1. profile image0
        Onusonusposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Of course I went to school, I thought it was a given seeing as how I've displayed the ability to spell. Your educational background however, is somewhat questionable to me. You assume that I believe the beginning was 2000 years ago? Do you have any proof of such an accusation?

Guys. Education has nothing to do superstitious religious belief. There are so many well educated alleluias, moollas and priests out there waiting for the second coming...There are really uneducated rational thinkers out there as well. So just forget education..

19. profile image0
    Sherlock221bposted 12 years ago

Whatever the original purpose of religion, it has been used as a form of social control.  Christianity has used guilt as a means of keeping the faithful in line.  The fear of hell, the need for the confession of sins, the practice of flagelation to beat the devil out of people for things thay had no control over, such as being left-handed or homosexual.  It is really quite twisted to teach young children that they are wicked sinners, and to plant the fearful terror or the eternal fires of hell in their minds, as a way of control.  Guilt is very destructive.  Whilst it should be expected that people should feel guilt over truly terrible things they have done, and only a psychopath would have no innate sense of guilt, it is the excessive concentration on guilt that has been the cause of so much psychological torment.

20. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
    DzyMsLizzyposted 12 years ago

To answer in one word:  control.

True, I control myself, not to join any fight club, mainly religion

On my own free will grounds

2. earnestshub profile image82

Yep! That says it all. smile

Earnest do think they would leave us alone, if we try to walk away in peace. Or would they just crush us like they did with the  North American natives and Australian aboriginals ?

If the fundamentalists had their way as they once did, they would do what they did then  and murder all who would not believe the crazy myths.

People of belief have a track record of killing non believers as their book instructs them to.

Sad to say, I agree, we better keep them on their toes.

1. DrMikeFitzpatrick profile image37

c'mon guys, not much has changed, the same rulers are still on place, their lineage is anyway. the rulers of the planet use prejiduce, controlled opposition, problem reaction, solution formulas to rule us all. nothing has changed in thousands of years. if you watch the movie ants, it is a good depiction of yesterday and today.

I agree in a way.
                The lizard brain still has to be overcome now as then.

For example a lot of what takes place today is no different to then.

Men would have used a cave and a big lump of meat to entice a mate. These days it's a top restaurant and a big house.
                Both are motivated for the most part by what we call chemicals and instincts.
                Most people have no access to their own true motivation at all...it remains beneath consciousness, and religion replaces meaning for those who don't see within themselves.
                I think Carl Jung was right when he said men would rather walk over broken glass than even catch a glimpse of the self.

Anyone who feels they need to free themselves of "sin" will need to do years of searching their own dark side first.
                Most people drop out of therapy as they get a glimpse of themselves.

I think alot has change  for the better since we have shrunk religion population( per capita) down. There has been alot less wars (per capita) and people live three time longer than in Jesus period. People have many more choices in life and women can go out and get stoned rather than be stoned to death.

Is that really an improvement? Getting stoned rather than being stoned? Somehow, I think the purpose of civilization has a bit more to offer than inebriation. Besides the Georgians have been offering up wine for something like 8000 years. Getting stoned isn't anything new. And there's some indication that Georgians, Etruscans and Basques may have been matriarchal. So, if anyone had the power to party back then, it was likely the ladies.

1. Jonathan Janco profile image61
                    Jonathan Jancoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My mother taught me how to get stoned. My father taught me nothing.

2. Evolution Guy profile image59

Then along came your wonderful religion. sad I wonder if you know what nonsense you are spouting.

You have no authority. You have no special knowledge. You cause ill will and bad feelings by behaving as you do. Your religion. You are ignorant - and I use that term with multiple meanings. You are ignorant of history, science and religion. You cause conflicts by adhering to this belief system that you apparently do not understand either.  You.

21. profile image0
    Binaya.Ghimireposted 12 years ago

When the religion evolved in antiquity, its sole purpose was politics, to rule the people and the rulers were often depicted as human form of God. God was/is seen as a ruler of universe. But today religion has become a motivational force.

Yes, Religion was once a great motivational force, yet like ancient spirituality it's been slowly replace by curious for the 99% spiritual unknowns

22. Jonathan Janco profile image61
    Jonathan Jancoposted 12 years ago

Oh Carl, just because you are one in a million, doesnt mean you have to rub it in everyone's face. You have inspired me to be humble. And humilty and I get along as well as hate and love. Some people don't believe in god, even those who have witnessed miracles. That is just the way it is. Does calling someone ignorant make you feel better? I ask only because you inspired me to distance myself from my ego.  If I believe you still have some ground to clear, I dont feel so bad about myself. I truly want to know . . .

1. carol3san profile image59
      carol3sanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Religion is deep;y rooted in the hearts and minds of many people. I don't have anything personally against people who practice their religion, but I do have something against fanatics.  They ruin the name of religion for a lot of other people.  Personally, I'm a very spiritual person, but I have long ago given up on religion.

1. Jonathan Janco profile image61
        Jonathan Jancoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

what i have been trying to say for a long time. That's why i take heat from believers and non-believers alike.

We can know about our religiosity and it's source.

The information is out there from the pens of Hillman, Von Franz Jung and so many other fine post Jungians who have enough empirical evidence about it to sink a ship!
          It is a matter of being open to new ideas and seeking personal growth. smile

2. Evolution Guy profile image59

Spirituality is a wholly internal, subjective experience. Religion takes it outside - where it does not exist. wink

That's it in a nutshell.

2. lone77star profile image75

E.G., brilliant statement, except for the last five words. I agree with the preceeding words, completely.

3. profile image52

Religion is good for humanity;when its followers harm the fellow human beings that means the followers have gone wrong; they have lost the true meaning or purpose of religion.They are doing politics in the name of religion.

Well, there you go. Like Earnest said, that's it in a nutshell. wink

Good thing, he did not say nutcases

4. Castlepaloma profile image77

earnestshub
        We can know about our religiosity and it's source.
        It is a matter of being open to new ideas and seeking personal growth.

That works well

carol
        Personally, I'm a very spiritual person, but I have long ago given up on religion.

Just a suggestion,

Say your spiritual sided rather than very spiritual. That’s like saying you are very intelligent IN which is more likely the person is not. When spiritual is about the 99% unknowns, some may think you’re the one and only god, and as we know. We don’t need any more super gods in this world

carol
        Personally, I'm a very spiritual person, but I have long ago given up on religion.

Just a suggestion,
        Say your spiritual sided rather than very spiritual. Thats like saying you are very interigent IN which is more likly the person is not. When spiritual is about the 99% unknowns, some may think your the one and only god, and as we know. We don;t need any more super gods in this world

2. lone77star profile image75

Jonathan, thanks for the insights, but you may have missed my point.

Me one in a million? No more than you or Earnestshub are. We are each one in nearly seven billion -- unique. And we each have the ability to perform far greater miracles than even I have seen. That ability is quite common, though untapped. The purpose of religion is to access the source of that ability, not for ego's sake (thank goodness!).

Rub? lol Only trying to provoke Earnest to say something more engaging... something more intellectually stimulating than "goddunit." Oh, well! I suspect the guy has a great intellect, but he's not sharing! I really would like to understand the viewpoints of others. But flippant little cut-and-paste phrases like those of E.G. and Earnest are intellectually tired. hmm

Does calling someone "ignorant" make me feel better? Not at all. But if you're referring to my brown stuff, above, you missed the point, again. The operative word "ignorant" modifies "diatribe," not the person. Big difference. But a person can ignore a great deal and that does make them ignorant -- not necessarily "stupid." And Earnest certainly doesn't strike me as "stupid." No way! He certainly is clever. wink

I'm glad you're inspired to be humble and distance yourself from your ego. I continue to find inspiration to do these things, too. Even from Earnest. wink

And your statements and questions help to diffuse and defuse any tension. I like that, Jonathan. I'm learning something from you, too. wink

23. earnestshub profile image82

Sorry I can't help with your question I have had no need to learn about them. smile
    Show men any a lie or half truth that I have told please. smile

It is not me who is making the claim of owning a personal fairy. lol

Thanks, Earnest.

24. profile image49
    Jhernnaposted 12 years ago

All the religions are the different formulas to reach a simple answer called humanity..

Interesting thought, Jhernna. I agree that all religions are different formulas, but the end is not humanity. Humanity (both the physical Homo sapiens species and the behavioral trait) is a means to an end. I suspect that end is somewhat less physical and more spiritual.

25. OutWest profile image57
    OutWestposted 12 years ago

Religion is man's way of understanding God or spirituality.  Different religions developed because of different cultures.

....and then the world starts a changin

2. A Troubled Man profile image57

God is either extremely bad at conveying his message or else people of that time had very bad listening skills.

Or, are you saying culture exceeded and over-rid Gods word?

People will increase to be Spiritual rather than religious. Already most people will say they are somewhat spiritual than religious.

The claim of the one and only God, people will realize they only became more elusive and evasive to claim any such thing

Religion will shirk and be replace by the spiritually age within 20 years.

End of the world prediction, will never happen in our lifetime, likely never WILL.

1. A Troubled Man profile image57

We can understand what they mean when they say they are religious but we have no idea what they're talking about when they say they are spiritual, and neither do they.

They have this craze/glaze look on their face when they are saying it

1. profile image0
              Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Not me. I've got a cheese eating grin when I say it. Come on Castle, you know you're spiritual too. smile

I think of myself as a spirital being first, having human experinces and many think i am crazy, only hope they think in a healthy way.

1. A Troubled Man profile image57

I'm a human being, nice to meet you. So, what's it like not being a human being?

2. profile image0
                  Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Crazy is the only way to go. It's a crazy world. That makes you one with the universe. smile

Gee you get me, too bad you are married.

3. earnestshub profile image82

Crazy? In this world?  I certainly hope so! smile
                  My biggest fear would be to be deemed sane by this worlds standards.

Look at the results of what is deemed sane??

Nah! Crazy is destroying an entire country to kill one of your ex buddies because someone from a different country did you wrong! (Iraq)

Yes, Definately Unpresidential Display of Affection

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)