Why do some Christians say you're going to hell for celebrating......

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (50 posts)
  1. Johnjfernando profile image60
    Johnjfernandoposted 12 years ago

Why do some Christians say you're going to hell for celebrating Halloween?

I'm a Christian to a certain extent and I sort have beleifs in the views and faith it preaches. I take part in Halloween because its a time that is spent with family and friends of gathering. Its not like as if you threw the Bible out the window.

Whats more, I've heard some say its the 'Devils Birthday.' I think its just a hoax but still feel thats its worth asking you all for answers.

1. Jerami profile image58
      Jeramiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It aint about what we believe about halloween!   It is about the rest of it that "Might" be important.

IF   ya are doing it thinking that it is wrong to be doing!   then you are doing wrong.    How hard is that to figure out?

1. WD Curry 111 profile image58
        WD Curry 111posted 12 years agoin reply to this

You gotta love Jarami, he tells it like it is and he's right on! No one from church will recognize you in your costume anyway, so don't sweat. I wouldn't be surprised if Jesus went with you.

2. wilderness profile image93
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

They say that because they have chosen to apply a definition and reason for Halloween that no one else accepts.

No, it's not the devils birthday - never was.  Google the history of halloween and you will find it was, long ago, about honoring our dead friends and family but that's as close as it comes.

I've never heard the birthday thing. I think it is more of a repulsion from superstition and demonic activity in general. It used to be "All Saints Eve" and it evolved from there when adolescent males got to run around town with no adult supervision.

3. Friendlyword profile image61
      Friendlywordposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Don't trouble yourself young man. Just like Christmas has lots of meanings to different people depending on their belief and history. Holloween is All Hollows Eve(whatever that means)and it's also a celebration of the end of harvest time.
      Be a good God loving(or God Fairing or God Fearing)Man. Don't let the rules of different Cults in this world paralize you with fear of Ghosts and Demons.

4. A Troubled Man profile image57
      A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Just more dishonesty and hypocrisy from the folks who brought you the Inquisition and witch burnings. smile

5. profile image0
      lavender3957posted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is different. I had never heard of Halloween as being evil. I think it is how you react to the holiday with your own beliefs. Everyone has their own opinions and faiths for practicing the Holiday of what they grew up to be. It is a time for family and friends. I was told it was merely a beggars night for the less fortunate to be able to go door to door to beg for food. Then I heard it was honoring our dead ancestors. What ever the belief you have, I am sure you will not go to hell for it. Interesting post.

2. WD Curry 111 profile image58
    WD Curry 111posted 12 years ago

I don't know. I am a Christian and I like to put on a costume and go to a party. You should have seen the costumes at Ringling School of Art. They were so good that real people looked funny the next day.

I am more concerned about other things that I participate in, like over-development and the global economy. I don't think God likes us despoiling the creation, exploiting the poor, or ignoring the misery around us.

Somewhere in the Epistles it says not to let anyone be your judge in regard to a new moon, a festival or a sabboth day. Hello!?! If you are really interested in going deeper, read Romans chapt 14 and 15 in a reasonable translation. If you aren't stupid, it will cure legalism.

Perfect love casts out fear.

1. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There is no love to be found in the threats of a biblical homicidal maniac that I can see, smile

Deleted

Don't you mean don't disagree with me or I get angry?

Be my guest......go right ahead and burst an artery, I'm the lay back and take it easy type myself. lol

Deleted

Don't call me Earny dude dude! It makes you look illiterate and smart arsed.

Anyone who uses the forums to flog their sky fairy is gonna get laughed at by anyone who can think past kindergarten level, and you are just gonna have to bare with it.

Been here 3 hours and pushing your weight around already eh?

You won't be seeing me roll over for the fairystory or eating any crow you can find Einstein. smile

I thought you were laid back. You think someone is angry because you are trying to provoke anger. You are projecting your own. I don't know what you are angry about, but I will pray for you and you will be healed of your deep hurt. For real, brother. Peace!.

Yep. I said laid back, not door mat.

1. Friendlyword profile image61

POW!
                    There it is.

2. JamaGenee profile image79
                    JamaGeneeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What Earnest practices is tolerance of others who have  different viewpoints about the world...as long as they're polite about it. cool

2. earnestshub profile image80

Just in case you don't know where to put those prayers, I have a suggestion. smile
                  I have another suggestion. Find out a bit more about hubbers before you let your mouth run off like that.

1. JamaGenee profile image79

lol lol lol

2. Friendlyword profile image61

Earny is the smartest, kindest, even tempered man on hupPages. Until you mention God (or Sky Fairy) to him. Good to see you again old friend.

Earny! Dang dude, chill out! There is a tension between freedom and rights. In a society where people have freedom of religion, they also have freedom from religion. Use yours if you don't want to beleive.  More power to ya!

In America, we have the right to believe as we choose. We also have freedom of speach. Responsible citizens don't abuse this right to offend others for the sake of offending others. I am a christian, but I don't sound off about how Sidhhartha never intended to be worshipped as a god, but wanted to lead the way for others to be enlightened. The people who worship statues of Buddhha would kick my butt and throw me out of their restaurant. I would be stuck with American cuisinne. Its about time for you to eat some crow and you will before its all over. Let me know how it turns out!

1. recommend1 profile image60
              recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

You seem just like another offensive newbie who waves his ignorance around these threads.  I wonder which troll you are a sock puppet for ?

Sorry I didn't recognise the Alzheimers.

Or do you just think if you write the same thing twice it will have double the meaning?

Sorry, I am having trouble with my connectiion and this weird program. I am used to other computer products and have been using them since 1984.

Gee that's very nice of you. I do try to be polite up to a point. smile

3. recommend1 profile image60
    recommend1posted 12 years ago

Just another stupid thing from the people who contort the words of their own so-called faith to their own peculiar bigotry and twisted morals - and the whole thing based on a story from someone who did not know the facts of the original story because he wasn't there, and was rejected 'with scorn' by those who were.

I thought pandas were sweet and cuddly. Why are you so bitter? Your belief system is not providing you with much peace. I don't see how this thread is indicative of professional quality writing. Am I going to be comfortable steering an editor to this site?

1. recommend1 profile image60
        recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

No bitterness here - just pointing out stupidity, you popped in just at the right point.

2. JamaGenee profile image79

Oh, the learning curve in store for you.  Forums are for give and take discussions among ourselves, our HUBS are where our professional writing resides. So this (or any forum) is not the place to send an editor to sample yours or anyone else's work.

And you aren't making any points by bad mouthing Hubpages in general 10 minutes after you joined.

Deleted

Or you may be one of those who can't write, and just hang around the forums till you get chucked off. smile

4. Friendlyword profile image61
    Friendlywordposted 12 years ago

I just read just read this in WiKipedia.

"Development of artifacts and symbols associated with Halloween formed over time. For instance, the carving of jack-o'-lanterns springs from the souling custom of carving turnips into lanterns as a way of remembering the souls held in purgatory.[5] The turnip has traditionally been used in Ireland and Scotland at Halloween,[6][7] but immigrants to North America used the native pumpkin, which are both readily available and much larger – making them easier to carve than turnips.[6] The American tradition of carving pumpkins is recorded in 1837[8] and was originally associated with harvest time in general, not becoming specifically associated with Halloween until the mid-to-late 19th century"

You are living up to your moniker and respecting the sincere question that initiated all of this communication. I am sure that johnfernando isn't interested in an insult contest. Blessed be the peacemaker. You put the thread back on task. I will talk to earnesthub about my motor. It's missing on a cylinder and I want to fix it myself. I already have my hammer ready . Peace, out!

1. Friendlyword profile image61

I have to go off topic again. Thank you WD. What an insightful man you are.
        DID YOU READ THAT HUBPAGES TEAM?
        Here is nice man that knows another good, nice, respectful, peace loving man when he sees...why are all of you rolling on the floor laughing like that? Here a man that knows a real writer when he sees...why are you people laughing louder...STOP THAT! Are you trying to get me to say something to get me banned for the tenth time? I'm a calm, thoughtful...hey hey Stop that!

I was going to tell everyone what a great hubber you are, but you beat me to it. smile

5. Paul Wingert profile image59
    Paul Wingertposted 12 years ago

The threat of hell doesn't scare me a bit. I went through hell. It was married for a year so right now I'm going to party on!

6. profile image51
    paarsurreyposted 12 years ago

The Christians should not celebrate Halloween as Jesus did not celebrate it.

Does anyone really give a rats doodle about this? smile

7. WD Curry 111 profile image58

You mean your opinion?

No wise guy, you need to learn how to follow the threads. smile

8. WD Curry 111 profile image58

My bad. Bear with me mighty experts. I was steered here by someone in the real world who told me this was a good place to display some articles and somehow scrape up a little coin. I am not much for social networking. I have people for that. The office politics around here is a trip. American ways are spreading fast.

There's a new kid in town. Get used to it.

9. Johnjfernando profile image60
    Johnjfernandoposted 12 years ago

Thanks for the replies everyone. I am someone who still struggles on/off with my religous faith of Christianity. The question came into my mind as I was working on a few hubs that promote some future novels that I will be publishing soon as ebooks anyways. Earnesthub, I gotta say, you have quite the humour. I enjoyed your feedback as well as the cheeky ones directed at a fellow hubber. Newbies are newbies and will find a place here soon as just another established hubber, so, don't fret. Best wishes to everyone and a 'Happy Thanksgiving' in advance.

10. luvpassion profile image62
    luvpassionposted 12 years ago

Happy "Samhain" pronounced sah-van. A time to celebrate summers end. A time when the veil between this world and the next is at its thiniest. Check out the site for an explination of the modern wiccan view of Halloween. http://www.religioustolerance.org/hallo_np.htm

Merry Meet

Teri smile

1. Paul Wingert profile image59
      Paul Wingertposted 12 years agoin reply to this

smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)