I have prayed for you.....

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (35 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 12 years ago

Jesus tells Peter that in Luke 22: 32.   One of the most awesome things He ever said!

1. profile image48
      paarsurreyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Jesus used to pray to the Creator God whom he used to refer as Father God in terms of usage of OT ; but the Christians don't pray to the Creator God; they prayed to the Trinity to whom Jesus never prayed to.

The Christians should follow Jesus and refrain to pray to Trinity.

1. profile image0
        Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The book of John tells us that Jesus was God in the flesh.  We also know that the Holy Ghost is God.   Those 3 distinct manifestations are the Trinity and are worthy of worship, period.

1. profile image48

John was never written by Jesus.

1. profile image0

The book was written by John ABOUT Jesus, inspired by the Holy Ghost.

1. profile image48

How could Holy Ghost inspire incorrect things?

2. DoubleScorpion profile image78
              DoubleScorpionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It was written by an author who got his information from the "Beloved Disciple" about Jesus.

3. earnestshub profile image81
              earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No proof of authorship for any of the scriptures. smile

2. MelissaBarrett profile image59
        MelissaBarrettposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Not all Christians pray to a trinity.  Over 20% are non-trinitarian.

1. profile image48

I appreciate the 20% Christians who don't believe in Trinity.

2. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

Funny you should bring that one up. I just looked it up. Full well knowing that Peter would deny him three times; Jesus did not sit in judgment. He did not condemn him for the sins he was ready to commit. He prayed that after Peter's faith had failed him, he would have his faith renewed and go on to guide the other apostles.

It's funny how completely alien that whole concept is to evangelical Christianity. There's not an ounce of love or understanding to be found. I'm actually surprised that passage is still in the Bible the evangelicals use.

1. stilljustwonderin profile image61
      stilljustwonderinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It is all about forgiveness.  Jesus forgave him even before Peter denied him.  Even hanging there on the cross, Jesus forgave them.  He said  Father, forgive them for they know not what they do.  We all have to forgive one another, and pray for one another.  None of us are perfect.

1. profile image0
        Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, it's a little more complicated than that. We all have to accept each other. Unconditionally. And those who pray can pray for their fellow man to find the strength and vision to rise above. Those who don't pray can hope for the same.

Jesus accepted Peter for what he was. First and foremost.

1. profile image0

No.  Jesus called Peter out on the carpet in other Scriptures.
          And even the Scripture we're talking about was preceded by Jesus warning Peter that Satan desired to have him.

You're apparently confusing tolerance with salvation.  It doesn't happen that way.

1. profile image0

I guess that comes down to the fact that you consider satan to be an actual entity. I find that idea preposterous. Plus the fact, the figure of Jesus had previously stated he would build the church on the rock of Peter. There was no doubt which way things were headed by the time of this passage you have referenced.

Nope. Jesus accepted Peter, with all of his flaws.

1. profile image0

If you believe Jesus was an actual entity, then you should believe Him when He spoke of Satan as an actual entity.   So, why not make up your mind what you believe?    But picking and choosing at your whim isn't gonna further your understanding nor this discussion.

And building the Church on the rock of Peter was simply Jesus's way of saying that Peter would eventually become a "rock", an illustration of the concept of repentance and forgiveness which mankind is prone to go through if they're determined to become true followers of Christ.  Key concept is salvation, not Peter being some priest of the Catholic Church (which he was not!)

1. recommend1 profile image60
                recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

It is hardly possible to be more wrong - whether the story is real or a constructed myth it clearly is all about forgiveness and acceptance. 

The extent of ignorance goes on with Peter being the Rock the church is to be built on - the church is the body of followers who would practice what their christ figure preached, forgiveness and tlerance.  The statement is clear and unambiguous, only by reading more into the words can anyone make it other than Peter being the rock the church was to built upon.  There was no catholic even invented at that time, so the text could not even NOT refer to that.

Peter is the rock,  the church is the corpus of followers.

1. profile image0

We can agree, at least, that the church Jesus was referring to is the body of Believers all over the world, not any specific man-made church building or denomination;  and that Peter was called to be a leader of that initial group of Believers (which he turned out to be!)

1. recommend1 profile image60
                    recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

So why do today's christians follow Paul who was rejected out of hand by Peter ?   The line seems quite clear, the figure of christ (real or constructed in a story is not relevant) said - Peter is the rock on which the church (corpus of followers) will be built - and Peter denied Paul.

2. profile image0

Brenda is every word written considered literal by you? If so, you have so point. If not, you don't.

No one said it was assumed this meant Peter would become a priest. I don't buy into the belief that the organization of Christianity was envisioned by the Christ. Had it been, he would have built it himself. The fact that he didn't speaks volumes as to how far off course your belief structure is.

1. profile image0

I'm gonna try to find time to study the Paul/Peter issue.  I dunno if Peter had his vision before, or after, Paul rebuked him about the meat-eating issue...

1. DoubleScorpion profile image78
                    DoubleScorpionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Acts Chapter 11. There is minimal interaction mentioned in Acts between Paul and the Apostles at the time of Peters Vision. And since Paul states in his letters it was 3 years after his conversion before going to Jeruselem, I would be inclined to say Peter had his vision of the food prior to interaction with Paul.
                    The major meeting to address Gentiles and how they were expected to follow laws to be christians didn't happen until about 49CE. About 17 years after Pauls conversion.

2. Disappearinghead profile image60
        Disappearingheadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Forgiveness is exactly the point; not just for those did the crucifying but for all humanity past present and future. So if His Father heard His prayer and announced 'yes and amen' then how is it that the evangelical church believes God will torment 98% of humanity for eternity when He already stated they were forgiven? The only way God can send someone to some mythical damnation is if He said no to Messiah, which nullifies His mission.

1. stilljustwonderin profile image61
          stilljustwonderinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't agree with everything the "church" teaches so I can't answer that.
          Salvation is a gift.  A person will either accept it, or not.  That's a choice we all make.   98% will be tormented?  They must have been given a look in The Book of Life.  I haven't seen that book so I don't know.  Yes, forgiveness, love, compassion.

I found this to be a touching story on forgiveness.
          http://www.jesus-loves-you.org/?p=1163

1. profile image0

That is a compelling story.   Awesome!  From the subject of the father, it sure shows God's grace!   I think, though, that it may have been incomplete.....I mean, it doesn't tell the whole story of whether or not the young man who was drunk was repentant for his actions (even though it implies that he was).  It doesn't give details as to what punishment the law gave him and whether initially he was rebellious or what...

3. profile image0
    Virgil Newsomeposted 12 years ago

I wonder about Judas.  Why couldn't he find repentance?  It seems that some believe they are saved without doing anything at all.  No repentance, no sorrow for sins and no good works done in the name of Jesus. 

There is a misconception concerning Peter as being the rock on which the Church was to be built.  Peter is not the rock the church is built upon.  Jesus asked Peter, Who do people say that I am?" and Peter answered Him.  Then Jesus asked Peter, "Whom do you say that I am."  Peter said, "You are the Son of the Living God."  "Jesus said, "Blessed are you because flesh and blood has not revealed this unto you but my Father in heaven revealed it to you."  This is the rock the church is built upon.  It is called revelation by the Spirit of God.

The scriptures I quoted are paraphrased and shortened to get to the point.  You can look them up if you want Matthew 16:13-18.

1. profile image0

I agree Virgil. smile

1. profile image0
        Virgil Newsomeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

How can you agree?  Don't you know that atheists say we are not allowed to do that?

They also like to write, "Do as I say not as I do." for some reason.

1. profile image0

Well, hey, we can't help it if the atheism philosophy is flawed.  ha

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)