Christians, If you sin and die 5 minutes later do you go to hell?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (40 posts)
  1. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

Christians, If you sin and die 5 minutes later do you go to hell?

So if you don't have time to ask for your forgiveness do you go to hell? Can your God forgive you and accept you into heaven even if you didn't get a chance to ask for him to forgive?

2. aguasilver profile image70
    aguasilverposted 11 years ago

When we come to faith, ALL our sins are forgiven, past, present and future, but I would guess the sin you committed in the last 5 minutes and were unable to confess would probably need dealing with when you stood before Christ, not sure whether the propensity of the sin would change the balance.

Would murder at that point count more than a lie would?

i.e. is sin measurable of absolute in Gods eyes?

Good question, i look forward to seeing the answers!

1. Ellana317 profile image69
      Ellana317posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi Aguasilver... The way I see it sin is sin.  The liar is no better than the thief and the adulterer is no better than the one who harbors envy.   It was all paid for the same way, by the blood of Christ...right?

2. profile image53
      Norine Williamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

JN:  If He gives us "a measure of faith," Rm 12:3 & He "looks @ the heart," (I Sam 16:7), would He not know what our intent was going to be before death? U r rt, we must "stand before the judgment seat of Christ" & the "final decision" is HIS

3. cam8510 profile image91
    cam8510posted 11 years ago

Maybe the question could also be worded like this:  Does a Christian lose his/her salvation every time they sin.  If yes, then I suppose they would go to hell.  If no, then their previous salvation experience trumps the unconfessed sin.

1. MilesArmbruster profile image60
      MilesArmbrusterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Boy now that is a funny way to look at it, but yeah, that would be depressing - almost as though God was limited by us.

2. cam8510 profile image91
      cam8510posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Whatever salvation is, it is the work of God not man.  That much is clear to me.  We can already see what happens when men get into the salvation business.  There is no end to the soteriological chaos.

4. Mitch Alan profile image80
    Mitch Alanposted 11 years ago

When one accepts Christ as their Savior they are forgiven...Period...you can not lose it.  We all sin, that is the reason for Christ's payment on the cross.  We should aim to rely on Him to help us not sin, we will as we are only human.  It is not a licence to sin.

1. cam8510 profile image91

Good, biblical answer.

2. Ellana317 profile image69

Mitch... Well said.  I agree fully.

3. alex-shiels profile image60
      alex-shielsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My question is.
      What if a murderer is about to get executed by the law and he repents the moment before his death.

Does he go to hell?
      What if he didn't actually mean it, would God know?
      Also why is the Devil always the bad guy? He torments the evil

4. Team Wiseman profile image79
      Team Wisemanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Amen! Jesus Christ is Grace! ... and His Blood is enough! Thank You Jesus Christ for Your Love. Great Answer! Cling to Him, our King!

5. Mitch Alan profile image80
      Mitch Alanposted 8 years agoin reply to this

alex-shiels, He would not go to hell, if in his heart he truly repented AND accepted the saving work of Christ. Ye, God would know, as you can not fool Him. The Devil is always the bad guy because it is his nature to deceive.

5. slcockerham profile image61
    slcockerhamposted 11 years ago

If our salvation was based on our works maybe so. It is not based on our performance, but on the finished work of Jesus Christ when he died on the cross as the substitutionary sacrifice for our sins. He already paid the price, can I then add anything to that finished work. No, if you are a true saved Christian or child of God then that sin is irrelevant to your salvation. Hell, is for those who refuse to accept that Jesus already paid the price for their sins. Christians aren't generally sinless, they just try to sin less because of what Jesus did for them.

1. cam8510 profile image91

In regards to hell and those who refuse to accept Christ, I have a hub on the subject which is relevant to this discussion.  "Blank Spots in the Gospel of Christ".  I don't mean to promote my hubs, but feel it is relevant.

6. minceyl2012 profile image60
    minceyl2012posted 11 years ago

You said the magic word Christians, the bible says in Proverbs 24:16 for a righteous man falls seven times, and rises again, but the wicked stumble in time of calamity. If we go to verse 24:29 we will see that God is a forgiven God; it says Do not say, “Thus I shall do to him as he has done to me, I will render to the man according to his work.” if I repented for a sin that I committed; I believe with my heart that He has forgiven me. It’s natural when we have done something wrong the first thing most will say is Lord forgiven me; I should not have said nor done that. And die 5 minutes later should not grant me a sit in hell; for one I have to say if a person’s prayer life; their faith; and belief is line up with God then I have to say, in Matthew 25:21 His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy Lord

7. Claire Evans profile image64
    Claire Evansposted 11 years ago

Of course not.  God knows in our hearts we'd repent of that in remorse should we have had the time.

8. GERALD-710 profile image60
    GERALD-710posted 11 years ago

Someone has mentioned Proverbs.Your nature is what will determine if you will go to hell if you sin 5 minutes before dying.If you were Good all your life,even if you sinned at the last minute,you must be rewarded for all the good deeds that you did.If you were evil,then you will also recieve what is due to you.(2 Corinthians 5:10)
    However,the wicked do have a chance for redemption through Jesus Christ and of course for the last minute sinners,wll,if it was un intentional,since Jesus told us to forgive seventy times seven.You will be forgiven.

1. minceyl2012 profile image60
      minceyl2012posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Amen!! I tell you this was such a good question which allow us to search and find more answers to be ready for such a day when He soon to come. Be Blessed

2. Ellana317 profile image69

Gerald 710 I see your point but truly none of us are without sin.  That's why we needed a Savior.  I'd actually argue that all of us have an evil nature (that's the flesh) but once you're saved you try your best to be led by the Holy spirit.

9. profile image0
    jonnycomelatelyposted 11 years ago

Can anyone tell me clearly, without beating about the busy, what that place called Hell is like?  Everyone talks about being forgiven  so you don't go to Hell, yet what in reality do you think it is?

I will say this. MY life without God was empty.  It was as if I thirsted for something yet was never satified but when God entered my life he filled that void and I could not imagine not having Him present. What is hell to me...seperation from God.

2. cam8510 profile image91

jonnycomelately,I do not believe in a hell for humans.  I have read and written about the connection between the Lake of Fire in Revelation and the Pits of Fire of Egyptian mythology.I used only translations of primary sources. Interesting results.

3. Levertis Steele profile image75
      Levertis Steeleposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I believe that hell is everlasting loss of immortality, the end of life, eternal loss of salvation. Ellana, hell is "separation from God" as you said.

10. Shepherd 48 profile image60
    Shepherd 48posted 11 years ago

The Apostle John says, "If we sin we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the Righteous." Jesus is our lawyer before God in heaven. The Holy Spirit represents us legally here on earth. If we have truly accepted Jesus as our  Lord & Savior a last minute sin isn't going to keep us out of heaven. In fact heaven isn't designed only for "the good" and hell for "the bad". Heaven is for God's kids. When we accepted Jesus we accepted God as our Father. To refuse to accept God as Father is the same as accepting Satan as "dad". Leave here - go to be with your dad. Who's your daddy??

Love it Shepherd 48.  I said an out loud amen to this!

11. Ellana317 profile image69
    Ellana317posted 11 years ago

Peeples~  Good question dearheart... This has been my argument against those who committ suicide going to hell. It is believed that they end up in hell because there's no way they can ask for forgiveness, but I beg to differ.  People sin and forget about it everyday therefore never asking for forgiveness.  So my questin would be what about grace & mercy? We can speculate and interpret the word to the best of our ability but at the end of the day it is God who determines where a person's spirit will abide...not us. 

That said, this is my belief.  People don't go to hell on the basis of sin.  They go to hell because they reject Jesus.  If sin alone landed us there, none of us would ever see those pearly white gates.  Jesus has paid the price for our sin, so in acceptance of him as our Lord Savior we make ourselves right in the eyes of God.  :-)

1. Levertis Steele profile image75
      Levertis Steeleposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This statement is well said.

12. allpurposeguru profile image73
    allpurposeguruposted 11 years ago

In Matthew 25, Jesus tells the blessed "inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the earth," but the damned to a place of punishment prepared for "the devil and his angels." God doesn't intend for anyone to go to hell, but some will decide that they prefer the devil's company to his.

It's not stretching the point to say that people don't go to hell for sin, but for unrighteousness. I have dealt with that point in more detail here: http://grace.allpurposeguru.com/2012/03 … free-will/

13. Levertis Steele profile image75
    Levertis Steeleposted 11 years ago

If someone was generally a Christian, and he sinned a few minutes before death, would you send that person to hell if you were judge? Are you more loving than God? God judges the whole person, not just one sin. God knows the heart through and through, yesterday, tomorrow, and forever, and can judge without error. I cannot imagine a loving Creator condemning someone who is generally righteous if he committed a sin before death. If that person would not have later asked for forgiveness or purposefully disrespected God with no remorse, that is another story. God, again, knows and judges the heart. He is love. He is merciful and full of grace. "He winks at the ignorant." That is pure mercy. An ignorant person may not know that he has sinned, so God gives him mercy even though he is not smart enough to recognize his error or ask for forgiveness! God is awesome and makes me feel so secure.

14. Bibowen profile image88
    Bibowenposted 10 years ago

Keep in mind that you could sin and not even know it, given that your spiritual condition is so poor compared to the holy God. Given this, we could never know whether we are going to heaven or not. The Bible does not present this kind of condition: this constant uncertainty about our spiritual state. When we believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, we are saved. It's a settled matter.

15. profile image53
    Norine Williamsposted 8 years ago

Did Scripture not say that we must ALL "stand before the judgment seat of Christ?"  (II Cor 5:10)  Did Jesus not also say that He "how mercies on whom he pleases?" (Ex 33:19; Rm 9:15-18).  With these Scriptures in mind, who knows, for the "Final Decision" lies in the Hands of the Almighty! Does not Scripture say there was "HOPE for our salvation?"  (Ps 119:116; I Peter 1:9; I Thess 5:8).  Further confirmation that Jesus is the final judge!

We must, therefore, do as He told us in John 21:22 "Jesus saith unto him, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee?  Follow thou me."

1. profile image52
      Patrina116posted 8 years agoin reply to this

A nature without sin read 1john 3:1-9 and tell me what you think

16. profile image52
    Patrina116posted 8 years ago

Roman's 3:23 For all have sinned and fall short of God's glory.1John 1:10 If we say we have not sinned we make a liar out God and his Word is not in us. That's why you must be born again so the incorruptible seed which is the Word of God can give you new life.1John 3:8 Sin is a nature tIhat comes from the Devil and if a man sin he belongs to the Devil. 1John 3:9  Being put right with God is to be born again with very nature of God so you can't sin because now you are born of God. God gave his laws so everyone could see that they could not get right with him through keeping laws nor good work. Romans 10:4 the law is now brought to a end for everyone that believe in Jesus. Romans 4:15 Where there is no law there is no transgression. When you are born again all things are now brand new and old things are fadded away. You no longer belong to the Devil where sin inslaves you . Romans 8:2 but now you are set free from the law of sin and death. Romans 3:20 the law is the knowledge of sin and you are no longer under the law, but now you uphold it by showing people that they need Christ because once you broke one you broke all says it in James 2:10 so it's either you are joined to the law which shows you that you sin or you joined to Christ which shows you that you don't sin anymore 1John 3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God. So yes if you sin you will go to hell because that means you don't have Jesus and the wages of sin is death so you will spend eternity with the devil in hell, but it don't have to be that way at all.

1. profile image53

Paul, a chosen vessel, wrote Rm 7:18-25; 8!
      THANK GOD for HIS "GRACE & MERCY!"
      New MERCIES DAILY for we sin, DAILY!

2. profile image52

Well if thats what you believe then you are going to keep sinning, but as for me i don't sin anymore because I'm dead to sin and alive to God in union with Christ Jesus. Romans 6:11

3. profile image53

It's in HIS WORD!  U don't BELIEVE HIS WORD?  Even "our thoughts" can be sin! 
      As humans, Gal 5:17! Not that we do deliberately, but we are human & U no "the flesh wars against the spirit," so why say "I don't sin?"
      Rm 6:11"thk that way," but Ga

4. profile image52

We will always do right and wrong things wither you born again or not, but sin is a nature that you were born with, so no matter how much good you do you would still be a sinner, but when you give your life to Christ, now you have his nature rd 1jh 3

5. profile image53

Precisely! We ALL sin but not deliberately for we have the DESIRE to be like Christ! Why Paul wrote Rm 7:18-25;8! Why JESUS died & gave us GRACE & MERCY!  Why HE looks @ the heart & KNOWS our DESIRE! Why Rm 8:1! We are "Righteous by FAITH

6. profile image52

Romans 7 he talks about how he struggled with sin but this was before he recieved Christ, but if you read on down to chp 8 he says how he been set free from the law of sin and death. So he showed us in 7 how he was without Christ, 8 on how he is w/C

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)