jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (17 posts)

Do we, as christians, understand God's grace or do we underestimate it?

1. profile image68
    graceinusposted 4 years ago

Do we, as christians, understand God's grace or do we underestimate it?

Sometimes when I hear or read others explain the power of God's grace, that there is far more to it that what is explained. Jesus Christ was full of grace but never tough on it or did He?. He demonstrated many acts of grace. Do we understand His acts of grace?

2. zenpropix profile image60
    zenpropixposted 4 years ago

My answer is yes. When living in a state of sin we invariably underestimate, or simply overlook, the power of God's unending grace. However, there are moments when we may glimpse the full magnificence of such grace. For many Christians, these are undoubtedly some of the most profound moments in life; moments when the reality and power of God's love and truth are transformative and sometimes even overwhelming. Those that are fortunate enough to feel the full force of such grace crashing into their lives inevitably want the same experience for others. In such moments we may deeply "understand" just how much we "underestimate" this Divine Gift.

1. profile image68
      graceinusposted 4 years agoin reply to this

zeppropix- I too feel that we underestimate the power of God's grace. Sometimes we don't understand the full extent of it. Your answer is very helpful and welcomed. Many thanks and blessings

3. cam8510 profile image97
    cam8510posted 4 years ago

God provides grace or favor or help to everyone at one point or another in their lives.  If the question refers to God's saving grace in which forgiveness for sins and eternal life are granted, I believe Christians do underestimate the extent of God's grace.  Most Christians believe that God grants salvation to those who respond to a presentation of the Gospel message.  Those who do not respond are not granted salvation.  The question arises then, what of those who never heard of the Gospel or even the name Jesus Christ?  My feeling is that this represents the majority of people who have ever lived on the planet.  They didn't turn down the offer of salvation.  The Bible makes some vague references to this kind of circumstance, but the fact is, we are left largely to common sense to figure this out.  A person cannot be held responsible for not accepting salvation which they never knew was being offered.  So I believe when Christians get to heaven, they will be surprised at whom they greet there.  God has a plan, but he did not reveal the whole thing to us in the Bible.  There is more and Christians need to be humble enough to admit that fact.  Yes, Christians underestimate God's Grace.

1. profile image68

God's grace is unearned unmerited favor or pardon. I can not count how many times Jesus Christ demonstrated favor and pardon throughout His ministry. Many of His acts of grace are revealed in the four Gospels if one knows what to look for. Thanks cam

4. whonunuwho profile image80
    whonunuwhoposted 4 years ago

As Christians, we understand the meaning of Christianity as seen in the Biblical scriptures and as we experience it in our own individual lives. We can never underestimate the power of our God. His authority is without bounds. God's grace is from a father who has nothing but an unlimited love for his children.

1. profile image68

whonunuwho- I do believe you are correct. God's grace and love for us is without a doubt unlimited. I very much thank you for your answer.

5. krillco profile image94
    krillcoposted 4 years ago

I cannot fathom the grace, forgiveness, and compassion of God. As Paul said, we see through the glass darkly.

1. profile image68

krillco- I can not agree with you more. His grace, forgiveness and compassion is far beyound our understanding. But is does reveal to us just how much He loves each and every one of us. Thanks so much for your answer.

2. cam8510 profile image97
      cam8510posted 4 years agoin reply to this

If it cannot be fathomed, why did God bother giving a detailed written explanation?  Are you saying that He knew we would be unable to comprehend it, yet he spent thousands of years communicating that very thing? Of course we can fathom it.

3. profile image68

cam8510- I understand krillco answer to be that one can not see just how deep God's grace, forgiveness and compassion really is. Even at our best, our understanding of God grace still has limits no matter how much we read about it in His Word.

6. profile image0
    Deepes Mindposted 4 years ago

I believe some Christians do underestimate God's grace but for different reasons. There are some that purposely underestimate it by only holding that God's grace is only extended to believers and everyone else is out of luck. Then there are those who just simply cannot fully imagine the depths of his love and grace for us.

1. profile image68

Deeepes Mind- I believe you are right. Without a doubt, God's grace is extended to each and every one of us Believers and non-believers alike. When Christ died on the cross, He took the sins for all mankind, not for the select few. My thanks to you.

2. profile image0
      Deepes Mindposted 4 years agoin reply to this

No problem. It is mostly underestimated when we try to put things into our own limited perspective regarding the Grace of God.

7. Recently Awakened profile image59
    Recently Awakenedposted 4 years ago

We, mere humans, have a very limited understanding of our own physical reality, let alone anything that is beyond us and our limited perceptions.

8. Ericdierker profile image58
    Ericdierkerposted 4 years ago

No we cannot. We can understand what grace means and we can understand what grace does. But to understand the alpha and omega and the omnipotent grace of God is not possible for man to know.  We love mysteries of faith, and that is truth.

1. profile image68

Hello eric- I do believe God allows us a limited understanding of His grace. But there will come a day for those who finally reach the Kingdom of God that we will come to know the full extent of His greatness. Your wisdom is again welcomed. Thanks.

working