jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (19 posts)

believers and skeptics alike,... faith or belief system?

1. stclairjack profile image78
    stclairjackposted 5 years ago

just wondering,... do the skeptics have a problem wih a christian who adhears to a particular religion as a "belief system" knowing full well that the basis for christianity is bunk,.. but the history and beauty and even the romance of it are appealing enough to draw.

if i'm intelectualy honest enough to admit its bunk,... but valuabe bunk,...can the skeptics swallow that?

if i honor the system and refrain from tearing it own for the sake of true believers,... will the faithfull question my faith?

dumb concept i know,.... but i'm bored today.

and faith oviously has no connection to spelling prowess

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Are you trying to please everybody?
      Can't be done without losing your own integrity.
      And watering down the Truth does everyone an injustice.
      It's not about romance and beauty or even history.  It's about Truth.

1. Cagsil profile image62
        Cagsilposted 5 years agoin reply to this

If it was about TRUTH then it would be universally recognized by every person on the planet. wink

1. profile image0

Really?   Then why doesn't everyone recognize the "truth" of your "belief system"?  hmmm....?

I don't have a belief system. What a surprise? roll

Truth is just like wisdom. It's recognized when seen. wink

1. profile image0

No belief system?
              Then, what do you call it?  ...Faith?

I have faith in myself and my fellow humans. Other than that, it's a complete waste of time.

1. profile image0

How can you have faith in yourself or other humans?
                  Did we create the earth?
                  Are we all-powerful and omniscient?

Humans are fragile, fallen, fallible.   We can (and often do) get sick (mentally or physically).  We have limits to what we can do even if we're healthy.  What faith can you place in yourself or other humans?

Easy. I understand my own life, which provided me the ability to love myself, which bestowed me faith in my ability. I have faith in other humans because I understand to bring peace I must.
                    I didn't say we did. Nor does it matter.
                    In a manner of speaking, you should be in understanding your own life. Yes!
                    Yeah so what.
                    So what again.
                    Again, so what.
                    Through love, I place faith in humans that the average joe schmo isn't going to cause the destruction of the world. Only the blatant ignorant will do that and that isn't the average joe schmo....it's most likely some of the more intelligent idiots running agendas by some guise. Like religious leaders and political leaders do on a daily basis.

2. stclairjack profile image78
                stclairjackposted 5 years agoin reply to this

cags doesnt have a belief system in the traditonal sense,.... just because you or anyone else dont recognise it,... doesnt make it less than worthy.... it just means that might have ad an independant thought, god forbid. (pun intended) ha!

2. A Troubled Man profile image59
            A Troubled Manposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Science is not a belief system, it is a method for understanding how our world works. It is a system that is recognized by everyone on the planet as such. It offers truth of reality, obviously.

You will find that anything of a scientific nature will be experienced by observation by anyone who comes in contact with it, and they will all agree what they observe, obviously.

2. Stevennix2001 profile image83
      Stevennix2001posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I think the reality is that nobody truly knows about the origins of mankind, as history can be rewritten, and it's often written by the winners. The simple matter is that people will always have their own point of views on events; hence why it's almost impossible for any singular version of the truth to be attained at this point.

2. stclairjack profile image78
    stclairjackposted 5 years ago

i supose what i'm trying to say is that a great many of us go through the motions,.. and do so willingly,... joyfully,... i can apreciate my faith (belief system) on many levels,... without having to swallow every it blindly,.... i love my faith,... i do not love it blindly.

perhaps it is more honest for me to say that i do indeed love my belief system,.... but not so much an unknown god.

i love my fellow man on the whole, if not individualy.

i love many aspects of my chosen religion....

some days,... i treat it like joiing the lodge.

3. profile image0
    Wilfionposted 5 years ago

I don't believe any religion has any ultimate truth.  They are all manmade attempts at understanding ourselves and the universe we find ourselves in.  However, as a European, whose cultural heritage is Christian, I do enjoy the culture which comes with it.  I love to visit the ancient cathedrals with their stained glass and beautiful architecture, and to listen to the choirs singing their hymns of praise. Most of my favourite pieces of music are Christian and I love Christmas.  So whilst I don't believe in the God, all of these works of art or festivals were created for, it would be foolish to deny their beauty.

exactly,.... you got it!

and equaly foolish to discount all the possitives that christianity has brought to mankind because some cannot ballance the negatives.

so nice to know that some one,... albeit across the pond got it!

4. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 5 years ago

Yes you can. And good for you.  You try to embrace the beauty and refuse to buy into the insanity. Religion doesn't get any better than that.

working