jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (16 posts)

death and suffering ??

1. Jerami profile image75
    Jeramiposted 5 years ago

I just had a thought, haven't thought it through yet;

Sounds kinda dumb..  but that never stopped me from posting before so here I go some more.

Many people have ask; if there is a god,?, if there is a God, why would he allow pain and suffering (and death) to exist in this world?

Without these; how on earth are we to supposed to see our own weaknesses, and failures, lest we see ourselves as GODS?

The old Tower of Babble story over and over again.

When we return back home; to all that perfection, we see ourselves as we really are.  We see home apprecitivly!

Acording to the story, Satan challenged God, and God allowed him to go and see if he could do a better job of governing.

And here we are today...  ?   Why are we always thinking that there has got to be a better way?

Ok this thread will go no place, At least I got to say what I was thinking.
       OH Well? ...   I feel better now and off to work I go.

1. kess profile image61
      kessposted 5 years agoin reply to this

The Fact is that two persons can look at one thing and conclude contrarily make up this present reality of the world...

If it was not so then this world would not be as it is....

...and if the world is not exactly as it is then your musing would be unnecessary.

Point One : The world is exactly as intended.

Now you are the observer in this world and noticed the two polar opposites... positives and negatives

How do you  then view the world?

You can approach it from one of two stand point...positive or negative
      (it is impossible to view it from both perspective..I'll wait for you to ask why)

If you view it from the negative perspective then all you can then see is negative even the positive... 

Like your precious scripture has recorded but is unable to explain...

"If your eye is evil (negative) your whole body is full of darkness"
      "If then the light within you is darkness, how great is that darkness"

Thus You remain negative.

If you view it from the positive, then you see all as positive and more importantly..

You remain positive...

Again As your precious scripture has recorded but is unable to explain...
      "when the eye is single the whole body is full of light"

Is there a better way.....? ......Yes

Who then has seen the better way?

Those are the ones that view this Life with a single (positive) eye ...

Point Two: The better way can only be the One who see it...

Jeramiposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Just checking in momentarily before having to go running around some more!

Always good to see YA.   … I can agree in part with that which I believe you are intending to explain; as I perceive it to be.

And yet; half way between the south pole and the north we find the equator.

Just possibly ,?,  ...  this is where we are supposed to gravitate towards; (figuratively speaking)!

I think that we can do that without becoming lukewarm (spiritually)

When we walk down the path, too far to the left or too far to the right, we will be walking in the ditch.   
           I can't do it very well when it is dark, but I always have a sense that I should keep walking straight up the middle, for the middle of the path just might be the same size as the gate which is said to be very narrow. 

And if God wants us to find this gate ,?,  I hope he placed the gate smack dab in the middle of the path?
               I know nothing for sure ….   But that is what “I’m-A-thinking”.

2. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 5 years ago

...i'm glad you feel better...i have to dash off too...

one comment tho (one more cuppa coffee 'fore i go to the valley below), a friend said to me (good friend too) recently something along the lines of "our lives are full of suffering and then we die and it's all better" (those are my words or at least what I heard).......what?

Jeramiposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Was washing the coffee pot  and where I dribbled on the floor   Ssoo  haven't left yet...

You friend was right  ..  some people get more and some less.

Seems like most of my suffering came after I went someplace I ought not have been.  Over there where all the excitement was A-goin-on.

Really do gotta get out-A here now.   Have a great day while A walking through TA valley

3. kirstenblog profile image75
    kirstenblogposted 5 years ago

Buggar! I had this long post all done and went to post, had to log in (browser had me as logged in but I guess I wasn't really LOL) first and it lost my post! Waaa! sad lol

The conclusion of my lost post was that from my experience the suffering I have experienced in my life has lead me to become a stronger person. I guess the creator God of religion could have made us strong already without the need for suffering to become strong and then you have a God that has some explaining to do! If you don't use the religious concept of a creator God you may find that you have to re-define God as something that is itself dualistic and unable to create an existence that isn't also dualistic, or you have something impossible to define in any way at all but you can begin to accept that maybe God didn't create suffering because he didn't create this existence, if anything there is suffering because this God thing suffers.

I personally find it makes more sense that either there is no god, and things are as they are because they could be no other way (the rules are what they are because they work) or that if a God exists it is simply not the creator God that religions paint it as, as something that can make up whatever rules it wants and they will just work cause it's God and can make anything any way it wants.

4. Jerami profile image75
    Jeramiposted 5 years ago

"....  or that if a God exists it is simply not the creator God that religions paint it as, as something that can make up whatever rules it wants and they will just work cause it's God and can make anything any way it wants".

======= 
    me

i don't know what this has to do with anything .. but ..this comes to mind:  this God of scriptures does say NOT to create any graven images of any kind, of anything in heacen. I supose that, had they had cameras way back when, (?) they would have been told to not take any pictures either.

Are some people attempting to draw pictures with words?

I think that how ever we attempt to describe it, we get it wrong.
    except for in our own heads ,  which becomes varity.

1. kirstenblog profile image75
      kirstenblogposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Ok so weird associative thinking here but I hope you appreciate it.
      I read something once about the nature of God, that God is always changing always perfect. How is that possible? was the subsequent question in the book I was reading. The answer was, have you ever seen an imperfect sky? or ocean? These things are always changing and yet always perfect. So sure, the closest we can get is what we can envision in our own minds even tho everyone will have a different vision. The Is ain't no stagnant swamp cookie! (or something like that, not sure I remember the quote exactly)  lol

5. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 5 years ago

"if there is a God, why would he allow pain and suffering (and death) to exist in this world?"

Pain and suffering are what challenge us, they are how we grow, how we learn to overcome adversity, they are the building blocks that shape our character. They bring out the best or the worst in us.  Are we the kind who will rise up and overcome, or help those in need, or are we the kind who will wallow in self-pity, complain endlessly but never do anything about it? I have read many forum posts where people have complained about starving children, so I posted a list of agencies and told the complainers to quit complaining about God and if they really wanted to do something positive, they could contribute to these charities and help feed those starving children.

Death is our way to God, our bridge into the spiritual world where "if God exists" he is to be found. Would anyone seriously want immortality without any goals or challenges, or adversity to overcome?  An eternity of boredom?  Would that not in itself be pain and suffering?

1. Disappearinghead profile image83
      Disappearingheadposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Jewish tradition says that God created the world incomplete and that man's role is to work with God as His representatives here to make it complete by doing good. Sounds a reasonable explanation.

1. Disturbia profile image60
        Disturbiaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

That sounds reasonable to me. God doesn't cause pain and suffering, we cause that ourselves with greed and war and selfishness, and by not living good, productive lives and taking care of our fellow human beings.

1. Druid Dude profile image61
          Druid Dudeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

We all have negative aspects and positive ones. Many of these aspects are visible to others, some aren't. Some are acknowledged outwardly by us, but much many of us keep things locked inside. Sometimes we lie to ourselves, and we can also block out that which we find within that is objectionable. We must strive to do better, but the only way is to stand on that division within, our positive aspects on one side, the positive. The negative on the other. This is at he horizon. Light on one, darkness on the other. Here, in full inner honesty we can and must veiw ourselves as a whole being. This division is where we find balance, for darkness will always be with us, the whole of reality seeks this same balance.

6. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 5 years ago

Considering where the planet earth is, namely in space inside a galaxy, contained in the infinite, one could say the earth by itself is already perfect.

7. Rhonda Elisha profile image61
    Rhonda Elishaposted 5 years ago

I would like to ask two questions? There are no right or wrong answers.

How would you respond if God said to you:

Your existence was only to test your faith! How would you respond? Would you change?

Remember this is only a question! Not a debate.

1. Disappearinghead profile image83
      Disappearingheadposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I would respond, "what was the point of that?"

2. Disturbia profile image60
      Disturbiaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I'd have to ask him:  My faith in what is being tested?  My faith in HIM?  Why would he need to test that?  Wouldn't he already know the answer since he, in theory, already knows what's in my heart?  And no, I would not change anything.

working