Grown adult believes in santa

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (40 posts)
  1. Jesus was a hippy profile image59
    Jesus was a hippyposted 12 years ago

If a grown adult believed in Santa Claus, he would get rdiculed right?

Why is believing in a God any different?

They both watch over you to see if you are naughty or nice and at the end of it there is a reward if you're good or not if you're bad.

I dont see any difference. Why are the two treated so differently?

1. mischeviousme profile image60
      mischeviousmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

One is for children and the other is for... other children.

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You might actually get some Believers to thinking with that one. big_smile

Children have a tendancy to bicker at one another over silly and mundane things. Like personal beliefs and toys.

3. rbe0 profile image61
      rbe0posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. rbe0 profile image61

Deleted

1. rbe0 profile image61

Deleted

1. rbe0 profile image61

Deleted

2. AshtonFirefly profile image69
        AshtonFireflyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wouldn't the difference be in the intentions involved?
          The Santa Claus idea is intentionally told with the already held belief that it is fictitious. And yes, children believe in Santa Claus, but only because the parents (or whoever) create all the condidtions to make it seem he is real. It is an intentional lie.
          The Story of Christ is told with the belief that it is actually true. (at least most times) and those who told the story of Christ did so with the utmost belief in his being the Messiah, etc. It is not something told as an intentional lie. If it is a lie, the ones propogating it would be deceived, themselves. They are not.

1. AshtonFirefly profile image69

*They are not telling an intentional lie.

2. Jesus was a hippy profile image59
          Jesus was a hippyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree, although wether or not the person teaching about the belief believes it or not, doesnt really bear any relevance on the person who holds the belief.

For example, if you bought your kids up to believe in santa, and they never learned that santa wasnt real, and they grew up believing in santa and taught their kids that santa was real, then it would be a pretty similar situation.

Look at Joseph smith. Im fairly sure that he didnt believe what he was preaching, but look at all his followers, they all teach about him a actually beleive what they are teaching.

That is true; it would not be much different for the person who believes in the the story.
            I guess I thought your emphasis was more on the viewpoint of the one doing the ridiculing, as your question was "If a grown adult believed in Santa Claus, he would be ridiculed, right? What is the difference in believing in God?" thereby forcing emphasis on the difference in ridicule, which would take us back to the one doing the ridiculing.  To which my response would be, more simply, he would be ridiculed more because there are more people who reject the Santa Claus story as a lie. And the reason that there are more people rejecting the Santa Claus story as a lie is because more people have been told by the very perople who lied to them in the first place, that the story is a lie. Therefore they are ridiucled by the nature of the lie in the first place.
              If Joseph Smith didn't believe what he was preaching, he never repealed it later. I'm pretty sure no one teaches their kids to believe in Santa Claus with the intention of letting them believe it their whole lives.
              The entire nature of the two scenarios is so different that that causes the difference in ridicule. Santa Claus story is not a religion; it involves figures which are (in the story) actually physical and seeable (and therefore able to be discounted from our own personal experience), and its effects are on a much less broader scale: Santa only shows up on Christmas, and for one purpose. Therefore it can be easily discounted when it is made sure that there is no interference and no Christmas presents show up the next day.

However, I agree with your statement that for the person themselves, there would not be much difference in the experience. They would still see "evidence" (in the form of Christmas presents under the tree, eaten cookies,etc. Except there would be someone present always intentionally creating that "evidence"

Thats where the similarities get stronger. For example, one who did not see santa come down the chimney, didnt recieve any presents, and the cookie was still there, would believe they were on the naughty list thus answering any question as to why santa didnt bring any presents.

Ok, it's not exaclty the same, but if you liken god being everywhere at the same time (but undetectable) to santa visiting all the houses in the world in one night (when you're asleep so you cant see him), theres not as much difference as first thought.

lol I guess so, but that's just it... they were on the naughtly list, wouldn't there have to be coal there too? Being on the naughty list would not only cause santa to NOT give presents, he would GIVE coal.  If there was no coal, then...santa didn't do anything smile
                But I do get your point...

Wow I felt pretty geeky saying all that that but anyway...lol..

At first thought yes, and mostly from the view of the person doing the believing. The belief in magic, omnipresence, and miracles (in the form of flying reindeer..and not to mention the miraculous existence at sub-zero temperatures in such apparel, and immortality) are certainly similar.

lol you got me on the coal roll

haha tongue I got your point though

3. aka-dj profile image66
        aka-djposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's funny!
        lol lol lol

No, it's hilarious!
        lol lol lol

4. DoubleScorpion profile image77
        DoubleScorpionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

And my wallet always seems alot lighter after any interaction with either Santa or Religion.

5. Don W profile image81
        Don Wposted 12 years agoin reply to this

In a nutshell the difference is that the concept of god is all encompassing. The concpet of Santa is not. Therefore people are more likely to try to alter their lives (and the lives of others) in response to the concept of god, than they are to the concept of Santa clause.

4. TMMason profile image61
      TMMasonposted 12 years ago

It takes as much faith to believe in the Big Bang or Evoluton as propagated by the Atheist Secular Humanists, as it takes to believe in a God.

If not more faith.

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

roll

Who said anything about evolution or the big bang? You dont have to believe in either to not believe in a god.

1. Disturbia profile image61
          Disturbiaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Or Santa.

2. TMMason profile image61
          TMMasonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

A fairy tale is a fairy tale... correct?

I am more than happy and willing to admit my faith is based on faith.

What about your belief in evolution or the big bang? You gonna admit it is a faith based belief?

Probrably not.

That is the difference.

Welcome to the wonderful world of faith.

1. A Troubled Man profile image59
            A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If one believes evolution and the big bang theories are based on faith, then they obviously have no understanding of those theories. Definitely not. smile

1. TMMason profile image61

I understand them just fine troub.

And I can tell you most matter of factly you cannot prove evolution of man from ape, you cannot prove either one.

Niether can you prove string theory or so many others.

How the hell would you argue anything else.

The denial... so very extreme.

5. rbe0 profile image61
      rbe0posted 12 years ago

you are missing the point here. god is only personified by the various portraits that are made of him. these should be considered artist's renditons. not actual physical representations. If focusing on an image helps an individual or sect manifest god, i say good for them.

6. Disturbia profile image61
      Disturbiaposted 12 years ago

It might be up for debate whether or not I'm a grown adult, but I believe in Santa.  After all, St. Nicholas was born in 280 AD, in Patara.  He was a Christian priest, who later became a bishop. He was a rich person, and traveled the country helping people, giving gifts of money and other presents. He did not like to be seen when he gave away presents, so the children of the day were told to go to sleep quickly or he would not come.

Yes I believe in Santa, in the spirit of Santa and the idea of love and generosity and devotion, the spirit of giving to and doing for others.  It's a cheap shot to use Santa as a way to ridicule people with religious faith by trying to make their belief system sound ridiculous.

There is nothing rediculous about faith. It is the disemination of flawed thought that is reidculous. If one does not fully understand the path that they have chosen, then everything they say from that point is rediculous. This may only make sense to me or you may find a crumb of truth in it, but it is what I have to say about it.

1. TMMason profile image61

Yes... that is truth, Misch.

We may not agree on much... but I agree with that.

To clarify for the benefit of everyone, I was referring to Santa Claus. The well known fairytale character and not the person that Santa Claus was based on.

Im not trying to make anything sound ridiculous. I am stating facts. In fact, the very fact that YOU think what I wrote is ridiculous is quite telling as to how you perceive the facts I wrote.

You think they are ridiculous. That is how you percieved what I wrote.

As for it being a cheap shot, I just made a comparison. The fact that YOU think the two are ridiculous says a lot about how you view religious beliefs.

Basically, you are calling their beliefs ridiculous.

I never said that. I said that, what is true to the seeker is true. It may not be my truth and I may see it as a fairytale, none the less, it is a belief and it is either illusion or insanity.

That post wasnt to you

2. Disturbia profile image61

LOL, no mischevious me, his response was to me.  Sorry you got caught in the fallout.  I only gave my opinion on what this post looked like to me and it looked like a setup if ever I saw one.  As for the Thomas Nast Twas the Night Before Christmas Santa, well I don't know about you, but the last time I was at the mall I saw about a dozen guys with long white beards running around in red suits and you know what, they all looked pretty much like Santa to me.  LOL.  Believe what you want.  I say if you want to believe in Santa, or God, or a Three-headed dog, it's your right to and seriously why should it matter to anyone what somebody else believes anyway?

I share your sentiment. It should be discussed for the pleasure of discussion, not so much personal belief, for what I believe is not important. It is in the sharing of minds that I find my desire.

7. profile image0
      Muldaniaposted 12 years ago

There are many similarities between Santa and God.  They are both portrayed as an elderly man with a beard.  Both fly across the heavens, Santa on his sleigh or God in his chariot.  For good children, Santa rewards them with gifts.  For good adults, God rewards them with the gift of eternal life.  All adults are  grown-up children, so it is natural that we should wish the magic and rewards of Santa to continue for the rest of our lives.  Yet there comes a time when belief in Santa must be put to one side, and the one in God taken up instead. Because no one would take seriously an adult who believed in Santa.  But belief in God is considered to be perfectly rational, even if it is necessary to suspend rational thought in order to believe in the likes of virgin births, devils, angels and other mythical creatures.  But, if people find pleasure in such magical thinking, then good luck to them.  Perhaps they are the lucky ones.

If the 9/11 bombers were the lucky ones then why should the rest of us have to put up with it?

1. profile image0
          Muldaniaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I can't see that the 9/11 bombers are lucky at all.  They no longer exist, as they took their own lives along with thousands of innocent people.  Any God which requires His followers to kill in His name is not a God which can be considered worthy of worship, even if He actually existed.  It is the belief of man that he speaks for God, that is the cause of wars, terrorism and hatred.  The human ego is the cause of so many of the world's ills.

Ok

8. aware profile image65
      awareposted 12 years ago

Any parent with kids when asked if Santa is real, should fire back hell yeah  hes real! your friggin talking to him right now.

9. SpanStar profile image59
      SpanStarposted 12 years ago

If one chooses not to believe then neither are real.  If however one does choose to believe Santa Claus can’t not save one’s soul.

We can believe in so many things like invisible Gold Fish, Pet Rocks, Zodiac, Demons, The Devil but a God of all things-Impossible.....

10. rbe0 profile image61
      rbe0posted 12 years ago

I think someone here has been drinking wayyyy too many glasses of NyQuil.

1. Disturbia profile image61

I think if we're going to drink, we can do waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better then NyQuil, don't you?

11. erniesliter profile image61
      erniesliterposted 12 years ago

Santa Claus is fake and God is real?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)