jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (15 posts)

Is God like Morgan Freeman?

1. Disappearinghead profile image84
    Disappearingheadposted 5 years ago

My kids are watching 'Evan Almighty'......again. Which image of God do you think is more accurate: the vengeful hissy fitting God preached by many atheists; the salvation with strings attached God preached by many fundies; or the long suffering gentle loving God portrayed by Mr. Freeman? Or perhaps something else.

I know which one I prefer.

1. gregas profile image73
      gregasposted 5 years agoin reply to this

You forgot the best God portrayal, Geroge Burns. Now there is a God I would listen to. Greg

Disappearingheadposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps I should change the question to which actor in what film/TV show gave us a) the most accurate portrayal of God and b) the most desirable portrayal of God? It might make for a more interesting set of threads.

1. DoubleScorpion profile image85
          DoubleScorpionposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I think Liam Neeson did a good job in Clash of the Titans playing Zeus and Ralph Fiennes did really good playing Hades

1. profile image0
            Emile Rposted 5 years agoin reply to this

But, the costume designer should have been fired. What was up with Zeus's outfit and gloves? You'd think a god could find gloves to fit.

Disappearingheadposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Or miracled up some better fitting gloves.

2. DoubleScorpion profile image85
              DoubleScorpionposted 5 years agoin reply to this

LOL.. True..

2. Titen-Sxull profile image93
      Titen-Sxullposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I don't think God is like anything because I don't believe any gods exist.

If there is a god however I can tell you one thing: personal preference is irrelevant.

At one time, when I was a believer but not a Christian, I would have told you I believed in a deistic nebulous new-age style God. The sort of deity who was more or less just a force of benevolent consciousness counter-balancing the evil. That was my personal preference at the time. Eventually I realized how pointless it was to cling to that belief, or any supernatural belief, when there was no evidence any of it was true.

As for actors performances in the role of God I've always been fond of God and Jesus appearances on Family Guy... also if you've ever seen the episode of Twilight Zone where Burgess Meredith plays the devil, it doesn't have a god character in it but it's damn good. The episode is called the Printer's Devil, I highly recommend it.

1. stclairjack profile image80
        stclairjackposted 5 years agoin reply to this

i remember burgess meredith in that i think,.... but fuzzy in my head.... it was great, as many episodes of the twilight zone were.

i like burgess meredith all the way round.

3. A Troubled Man profile image60
      A Troubled Manposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Jimmy Stewart preferred a seven foot rabbit.

2. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 5 years ago

Morgan Freeman. Definitely. I loved that movie

3. stclairjack profile image80
    stclairjackposted 5 years ago

george burns,.... i loved morgan freeman,.... but it has to be george burns rendition for me

4. Eric Newland profile image59
    Eric Newlandposted 5 years ago

I go with the Morgan Freeman version. Or rather, I go with what I take to be the message behind casting Morgan Freeman as God to begin with:

God is not what we expect Him to be.

1. A Troubled Man profile image60
      A Troubled Manposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Visible and detectable?

5. JBBlack profile image60
    JBBlackposted 5 years ago

Morgan Freeman, the same guy who had a ten year affiar with his step grandaughter, that he helped raise?  There was even talk that they were to marry.  I'm sorry, but no.  I should hope God is nothing like that, but when I see her I tell you what she's like.

working