Suppose immortality were offered?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (41 posts)
  1. mischeviousme profile image61
    mischeviousmeposted 12 years ago

Why would anyone want it? Eternity is an awefully long time... Is it fair to say, that it would get boring?

1. profile image0
      jomineposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It is not about living eternally, but avoiding death(the fear of).

1. Dave Mathews profile image61
        Dave Mathewsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

a physical death today in this time is inevitable. Fearing death is totally rediculous and stupid.

2. profile image0
      jonnycomelatelyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Good question and good to listen to each person's opinion without trashing their reply.

For me, I would want to continue a healthy mix, enjoying true and trusted friends in company in order to help me feel comfortable; whilst at the same time always searching for something new, bright, exciting and challenging. 

Otherwise, as was said earlier, it would become eternally boring.

3. kess profile image60
      kessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yyy The discussion of eternity is never a discussion that permits the inclusion of Time... Except for the glorification of eternity itself.

For time itself is always a temporal state and is always inclusive of death.....the anti -eternity.

When one begins to understand time so as to know its ultimate purpose, that one has begun to know eternity and is already present in it.

He also find that all time is already fulfilled in himself.

1. profile image0

Hi Kess.   Your post is a little poetic and I find it somewhat difficult to understand.

With regards to Eternity, I equate this as Infinity, because Eternity cannot be measured, it's endless.   Is that right, do you think? 

Infinity does not include the concept of time.  Infinity is by definition timeless - it cannot be measure.

1. kess profile image60

Consider what time actually is....a succession of light and darkness which we call day and night...

Without night there is no day.....or continuous ( not the present popular concept of recurring measurement of time) light
          Without day there is no night....or continous darkness.

In the same we come to understand and measure what we call time....the continuous succession of two opposites.....the tick and tock, the ones and the zeros,  Ilight and dark, the conscious and the unconscious, the life and the death, the awake and the asleep.

So eternity when considering life is life continuos without  being interspersed by darkness.....how then is it measured without it's opposite?

Where there is no tock, death, sleep, unconscious,night etc.

In the same way death is continuos...void of life therefore it is also eternal....without time.

With time also comes the concept of counting....measuring, so we see the graduations of ones referred to as two, three, four etc..

So eternity is merely the ONE , THE PRESENT CONTINUOUS....Existences itself perfect in its glory and its being...The ultimate of what we understand as Life in its fullness.

Where then is death? It is non existence, darkness, the 0. Whole complete in itself, not intertwined with Life...absent continuous total unconsciousness.

At the will and purpose of existence it is awakened, by ths pronouncement of 'Let there be Light'

At that point time has begun for unconsciousness is awake and take on the similitude of Life.

1. profile image0

Very well put, Kess, thank you.  I have never heard it put quite like that before.  smile

1. kess profile image60

Life is the one who understand these things...

4. Deborah Brooks profile image60
      Deborah Brooksposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I want the immortal living.. sounds very good to me..

5. profile image0
      ecoethicalveganposted 12 years agoin reply to this

As long as I were able to be healthy and learn new things (which would be to re-learn those things I probably will forget) and as long as I were able to exist/live alongside family and friends, then I'd accept immortality.

Traversing the universe and those ethereal places that seem problematic to some, would surely keep us passionate about living, but I'd also like to help others that need or want help. I'd also like a place or mindset or community of humans/people to call my home, somewhere that would 'ground' me.

Also while we're at it, can we have some degree of knowing what the future will bring, something along the lines of knowing if we do such and such a thing (even if it takes a billion years) that things will work out for the better, kinda like a hope 'realised'.

6. nightwork4 profile image60
      nightwork4posted 12 years agoin reply to this

i would love to be immortal. it has nothing to do with fearing death for me because believe it or not, i honestly don't care if or when i die. to me being immortal would give me a chance to do a lot of amazing things to help out the world. plus watching history as it happens would be awesome.

7. A Thousand Words profile image67
      A Thousand Wordsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If it were offered, which some believe it is, I sure wouldn't want it. That is some serious clinging. I'll be just fine with this life being the end,

mischeviousmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Just the answer I was waiting for, simple and direct.

2. jacharless profile image75
    jacharlessposted 12 years ago

Time is irrelevant to forever.

Now, given all things on this planet -land, aerial, aquatic, animal, vegetable, mineral, etc say a good 10,000 years to learn about them all. So given present human assumption of time, nearly 100 spans of the typical human life cycle completes understanding the planet.

10 planets in this system. How many systems in this galaxy; how many galaxies in this quadrant; how many quadrants in this area of the universe.
    How big is this universe;

How would boredom factor in (?)
    Living to explore all of it sounds quite fun, indeed.

James

1. gregas profile image81
      gregasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Just to be able to witness change would keep it from being boring. I am almost 65 and I would rather be immortal from now rather than from when I was, say, 25 or 30. I would appreciate it more from this time than from back then. Greg

3. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 12 years ago

Depends what that immortality is. Jonathan Swift wrote about these guys called "struldbrugs" that had immortality but not immortal youth. lol. Immortality is a long time if you are a rotting pile of goo.

I think immortality would be a long time. I'd want to be able to end it at my leisure. I mean, imagine how you'd feel when the sun went super nova and the whole solar system got blown away? You'd be floating in space, cold and alone for eternity. That to me sounds like a possible definition of Hell.

4. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

I'd have to go with James on this one. If the opportunity to learn all there could possibly be to know was part of the deal I'd have to jump on it.

5. MelissaBarrett profile image58
    MelissaBarrettposted 12 years ago

I wouldn't want it unless it were also offered to the ones I love and would grow to love.  I wouldn't want to live while they were growing old and dying.

6. Druid Dude profile image60
    Druid Dudeposted 12 years ago

Considering the possibility of a higher state of consciousness, it might be worthwhile, and if you toss in the ability to experience many different lives on different planets or levels of existence it could be infinitely interesting.

7. Jonathan Janco profile image61
    Jonathan Jancoposted 12 years ago

I believe we are immortal. Our physical bodies are just a short little experiment because we're still very young. We're just dabbling in physicality until we grow out of it.

1. Druid Dude profile image60
      Druid Dudeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Nicely put.

8. aka-dj profile image65
    aka-djposted 12 years ago

We are already immortal beings (in spirit).

It's just a case of where, and how we choose to spend it (after we depart from this earthly body).

9. profile image0
    jonnycomelatelyposted 12 years ago

A further thought on this, having seen some of the later posts to this hub, all of which have been insightful and interesting;

The life we lead here, in this realm, on this earth, is shaped very much by the trials and tribulations we experience along the way.  Without them we would not have grown to this point, where each of us is now.

So - how much of the answers to the question have come from this earthly experience?  Would we want an "eternal" life to give us the challenges AND the satisfactions which have shaped this life?

Is the CHANGE an inevitable part of living?  Is the CHANGE essential?

1. kess profile image60

The purpose of life experiences is to gain understanding of the same said Life...understanding is knowledge completed.
      Knowledge without understanding is ignorance for it is imcomplete thus not used correctly.

Thus none of Life's experience is invalid to the person, for by and through them he has created the present person....the person in the NOW is always the real person.

So a man seeks to change so that he may have a better Now ... But because he perceive the now person as not ideal for he seek to change it, he put himself in a situation where he is constantly doubtful about the changes he has made in the past....thus is the same with the present and future.

Now if the person was to come to realise that the present  now person is the best that he can ever be , his perception of experiences  and changes change.

He now see all his experiences including former changes and abzolutely necessary...but now he changes not to create but be that which he percieve himself to be... Thus changes are primarily about accommodating those who have not yet percieve the true nature of themselves.

Change is scary....

We get comfortable where we are, especially in later years. We confuse our experiences and our beliefs for who we are, our identity. When change occurs, we have to change ourselve's to mirror the change. Because we think we are someone or we have grown accustome to certain modes of living, when change occurs, it conflicts with our level of comfort.

1. kess profile image60

Can a man have stability of identity without knowing Truth...
          So he will be scared to disrupt him unstable identity.

Knowing Truth dispel all fears.

2. profile image0
        Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Kess, sometimes I disagree with comments you've made. Sometimes, quite frankly, your round about way of imparting information is beyond my ken. This post, however, I see as dead on and insightful. I agree completely.

If one were immortal, change would occur so often, for time would become meaningless.

1. profile image0
            Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Time is a concept limited to the physical world. Don't you think?

2. kess profile image60

I wish that a person will try to understand despite their disagreement.
            I have notice though despite your disagreement, you still ask questions that are relevant, genuine.
            For that believe it or not, you are one of one of my favorite poster on this forum.

10. jacharless profile image75
    jacharlessposted 12 years ago

Possibly naïve on my part, but I cannot see how or rather why as bodily removal would satisfy the requirement of immortality.

The human physique is well able to regenerate infinitely, based even on genetic studies. To remain sustainable, the human energy ( titled: spirit) would need to vandalise the minds methodology, recondition it so the body and spirit free-flow. Remembering this: the mind -no matter the conscious level is null and void without a body. The brain is an organ of the body.

In a small paper years ago, I expressed how blood, being life to the body, carries spiritual luminosity -messages processed by the mind and therefore enabling endless living.

James
    (Sorry for the short/sloppie, am mobile)

Hard to say about the human body in infinite regeneration. Can't help feeling that your statement is the result of miscomprehension. I think you are into a lotta mystical stuff, rendering your assesments unintelligible.

How about immortality and some carry around cash?

And a place at the beach....and a lamborghini. A cool girlfriend. And a boat.

2. kess profile image60

Hello James....
      Immortality is not only a concept of life but also a concept of death and fulfilled by the flesh.
      Yea indeed death can live forever. But that would mean then that Life would be consistently dying.

So them we see the ultimate impossibility..
      ...Life is dead while death lives...

So immortality of the physical body?? Hmmmm...

Yes it is possible ...but impractical and inconvenient plus brings right back to our present condition in which many struggle.

You see to achieve this we must first graduate from physical to sipritual and only when we are sipritual we can take on the flesh at will.....but why?

Would you wear a shoe if you dont need to protect your feet? So if you do wear one, are you not doing so for the sake of the shoe and not the feet?

Is that not our like present condition where as spirit we exist to service the desires of the body...
      Isn't our purpose here on this forum to try to get our path straight so as rid ourselves from this burden?

I am also quite aware that the body can and do serve the purposes of the spirit and at those times one will take a body for the praticallity and purpose of it..

But all other times it would be wholly inconvenient and serve the purposes of death rather than life.

11. SpanStar profile image59
    SpanStarposted 12 years ago

The Bible says there will be immortality but we are looking at life through our limited view of the universe. God pointed out that we will be changed which is as I understand we will be a whole new person different from what we are today. Before Adam and Eve sinned in the garden without having the knowledge of good and evil they function just fine while going about their daily life. I am not certain what the future will look like once God decides to change it but I have no doubt those who have chosen God will be compatible with the new life.

12. pisean282311 profile image62
    pisean282311posted 12 years ago

suppose immortality were offered?....why suppose it is offered by religions and that is one of main selling points of religion...it has worked till now and it would work few hundreds or thousand yrs too...

1. kess profile image60

It is the nature of the body conscious (carnal minded) tвяo lust after spirituality. So since immortality belongs to the spiritual and all spiritual things are good, they lusted after it.

Hearing something does not mean you understand it, and if the carnal minded did understand it would no longer be carnal but spiritual.

So carnal mind who did not understand, but think they do, repeat what they heard sometimes word for word, thinking that they are spiritual for doing so.

Not understanding that their fear of being wrong actually make them so.

This is why religion sound so much like spirituality but is definitely unlike them.

1. pisean282311 profile image62
        pisean282311posted 12 years agoin reply to this

but religion sold...didnt it?...it went on marketing spree and converted most human race...so they have saleable concept...

1. kess profile image60

Well you can say they sold their brand of spirituality....

Their market is the world and the world bought it....

Those are the kingdoms that make the world a  world lacking spirituality...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)