jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (15 posts)

Gnostic Gospels

1. profile image60
    wheatbaybayposted 5 years ago

Could it be possible for some of the gnostic gospels have some truth to them.

1. Druid Dude profile image59
      Druid Dudeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

could be.

1. profile image60
        wheatbaybayposted 5 years agoin reply to this

My understanding of why these gospels where left out of the Bible was because they were to radical and man decide that they shoudnt be included but let's just for a moment say that maybe just maybe one of those long lost gnostic gospel had those twelve missing years that is not in our modern Bible.

2. DoubleScorpion profile image84
      DoubleScorpionposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I would have to say...The "Gnostic" gospels have just as much truth in them as the Gospels in the Bible do. They just didn't fit what the church leaders of the time wanted in their bible.

2. Druid Dude profile image59
    Druid Dudeposted 5 years ago

I have found nothing in those that I have seen that would suggest that, about the lost years. I do have my own understanding. It begins when Jesus is twelve. Having been found discussing the Torah with the priests, He said that he  was 'about his father's business' As a pre-adult of twelve, he was declaring what his path would be, post Bar-Mitzvah. Traditionally, he would have been expected to become a carpenter as Joseph's apprentice. This event would suggest that he wasn't going to do that. There is nothing in the Gnostic or traditional gospels...but, there is a legend. In this legend, Jesus, presumably in his teens, is in the company of Joseph of Arimathea, and they are in England in the vicinity of Glastonbury.

1. profile image60

Thanks for that insight it was just a thought I wish could find out for certain what happened in those twelve years and if we did by miraculous means how big of an impact would it have or if any why is those years missing in the first place. Do you think those years might by whatever reason been left on purpose i mean even though the Author was God but it was man's hand that put on paper I'm really puzzled by it.

3. Mankman profile image59
    Mankmanposted 5 years ago

What exactly are the gnostic gospels?

1. profile image60

Basically they were gospel/stories that were left out of the Bible I have read the Gospel of Judas it was interesting a new spin on the biblical story but still interesting.

4. Disappearinghead profile image85
    Disappearingheadposted 5 years ago

I read on Wikipedia (yes I know!) that Irenaeus decreed that there could only be four gospels because the Earth had four corners and four winds, so four gospels was the natural order. The Church accepted this as a reasonable argument, and all other gospels were thereby dismissed.

1. vector7 profile image61
      vector7posted 5 years agoin reply to this

lol, at least you know.

smile

1. Disappearinghead profile image85
        Disappearingheadposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Why do you think that such a tragic decision is funny Vector?

2. Cagsil profile image60
      Cagsilposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Oh, so a pathetically stupid conclusion is considered reasonable by those who were in charge of the gospels. This is definitely good to know. It makes all the sense in the world why believers remain unreasonable. lol lol

1. profile image60

I agree cagsil I think the early church could come up with a better way of deciding how many gospels put include in the Bible you know why not five gospels. Lol

5. readytoescape profile image61
    readytoescapeposted 5 years ago

From a Historical & Archeological perspective as I recall many writings were excluded at the Council of Nicaea. Most of those that were left out were either a direct contradiction to the church doctrine of the time or "of questionable" origin. Which bascially means the same thing.

But is seems clear today that "the church" has taken a decidedly different path than the actual ministry of Jesus. However lest we forget translation of languages, especially dead languages, is still quite suspect. As are many of the assumptions made in history, archeology and religion.

1. Druid Dude profile image59
      Druid Dudeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Gnostics claimed 'knowledge' to God, rather than Faith. I consider myself to be Gnostic, but I don't claim christianity because my beliefs are inconsistant with christian teaching.

working