The Real Jesus Was A Gnostic

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (58 posts)
  1. Fairbear profile image59
    Fairbearposted 14 years ago

This is just my opinion based on the research I've done.

During the first four centuries gnostic Christianity posed a serious threat to the orthodoox sect. But due in part to the strong institutional orientation of the orthodox, and the elitism of the gnostics, gnosticism was virtually subverted to exist solely in obscurity under the shadow of the orthodox.

But I believe that the ideas which Jesus stood for were anticlimactic to organizated religion. Christianity, as it has been for the past two thousand years, is merely the result of ambitious men bent on cultural conqest, and not a genuine search for truth. This is why no truth can be found in it.

The only thing that can be universally agreed upon about the historical Jesus is that he developed a following which blossomed over the years into a wide diversity of differing factions. So it only follows that he possessed certain ideas that were powerful enough to attract followers and devotees.

It is my opinion that the factions of Jesus folowers who adhered the closest to his original ideas were the gnostics.

I believe the real Jesus invoked people to look for the truth within themselves, and taught that to truly know one's self is to know God.

I wonder if any of you have thought along these lines. I'd like to hear what you have to say.

1. profile image0
      Scott.Lifeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Jesus did say that the Kingdom of Heaven was to be found in the hearts of men and as God is in each of us maybe there is some merit to the idea that greater self discovery will lead to better understanding of God.

1. underhiswings profile image60
        underhiswingsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Can one have a plate full of "self discovery" and not know Messiah?

2. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

As a Gnostic, I absolutely agree!  smile

1. Vladimir Uhri profile image59
        Vladimir Uhriposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hello my friend, Sandra. You have all right to blaspheme but it is not good. Knowledge is in brain. Brain may get you to permanent troubles.
        I am sorry to hear it.

1. profile image0

Well I am sorry you have taken offense. Maybe one day when you feel less offended and less in need of telling me and others that I am in trouble instead of walking together in a real brotherhood of love and kindness... we can live in peace. 

With much love,
          Sandra

1. earnestshub profile image80
            earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well said Sandra, it would also help if Vladimir did not consider others opinions as blaspheme.

Very much a religionists way of forcing their beliefs on others, and not at all polite. smile

2. Daniel Carter profile image61
        Daniel Carterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Most of my studies, research and findings lead me to agree with gnosticism at least in part. The jury is out in many areas of my life. The more I discover and learn, the more I realize I know nothing. I only have more questions.

However, that being said, I am fascinated with Gnostic ideology, as well as "A Course in Miracles." I used to be extremely conservative in my Christian beliefs, but over the course of incredible hardships, loss, tragedy and trauma, the only way to make sense of such things is to take a complete paradigm shift and get outside the box of Christian orthodoxy. As a result, I've dabbled in a lot of belief systems with nothing very conclusive.

All I know is that I feel much more at peace in my own life. I feel more connected to God, or the universe, or whatever it is by taking this path.

1. profile image0

It's similar to the way I feel as well.  I feel more at peace with the Universe, god or whatever you want to call it on this path as well. big_smile

I like to look at the stars and imagine our real place in the Universe... it puts life back into perspective.  It's the saying... I am (hardly) but a grain of sand. 

When I encounter worldly troubles or become frustrated with life, I "reach for the stars".  It helps me know that what goes on down here is just that.  Helps me find my freedom so to speak, even though I cannot leave Earth sorta thing. smile

3. IntimatEvolution profile image69
      IntimatEvolutionposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There is a lot of Christian, historical information to support this theory.  If you'd like more research information on this topic, just send me an email.  I'd be glad to share with you what I know, have researched on and what I teach in class.

Yes you are right, the Gnostic's have their own Jesus, like lots of people do.

1. IntimatEvolution profile image69
          IntimatEvolutionposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Their own Jesus???  Alrighty then.......... whatever you say.

Are you referring to another Jesus other than the one the Gnostic's believe in?

4. Make  Money profile image66
      Make Moneyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nope, can't say that I ever have.

Gnosticism is the doctrine of salvation by knowledge.

But personal knowledge won't save anyone.

The possession of a quasi-intuitive knowledge of the mysteries of the universe and of magic formulae indicative of that knowledge won't save you either.

The cabal won't save you either.

Definition of Gnosticism: a religious orientation advocating gnosis as the way to release a person's spiritual element; considered heresy by Christian churches
      Source

Your Jesus may be a gnostic.

But Jesus Christ is not.

Bravoooo.

5. mohitmisra profile image61
      mohitmisraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I believe the real Jesus invoked people to look for the truth within themselves, and taught that to truly know one's self is to know God.
      This is what every true or enlightened master will teach, god is within you .

2. atomswifey profile image56
    atomswifeyposted 14 years ago

fairbear I wuv ya dear, but you really do not want my opinion on this smile
    lol

1. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Give your opinion Jesus was a Gnostic so we would like to hear your side. smile

2. Fairbear profile image59
      Fairbearposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't mind. I'd like to hear it.

3. Sanctus Vesania profile image59
    Sanctus Vesaniaposted 14 years ago

@fairbear - I've studied Gnosticism before, and actually almost converted to it, but then I was shown through the spirit of Christ that I needed to be careful.  I read more of their beliefs, and two of their beliefs really clash with the Word of God.

1.  That Jesus Christ did not come into the flesh, for how could he?  Flesh is evil, the material world was created by the evil demiurge known as Jaldabaoth (Child come by here) AKA Samael (Blind God) AKA Jehovah; in order to trap souls in material prisons.

The Bible says

1 John 4:3
    And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.

2 John 1:7
    For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist.

2.  Gnosticism teaches that Jehovah was created by the error of Pistis Sophia, who desired to create with out her consort (Logos)  What came was a hideous creature, that Sophia was so ashamed of that she hid him in a cloud.  Then she repented of her error and was forgiven by the Unknowable God.

The kicker?  Sophia is the Holy Spirit in Gnosticism.

3.  Certain sects of Gnosticism teach that having sex is the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit.

Now, the Bible does say that the knowledge of man is in vain, but that Godly knowledge is not.  However, Gnosticism teaches that we must search for God's knowledge ourselves, while the real Jesus, and God the Father teach that their knowledge will be given to whom they want to give it to.

4. Fairbear profile image59

SV:

You misunderstand gnosticism. It isn't like orthodox Christianity in which teachings are taken as cannonical or neccesitating strict adherence. Ancient gnostic literature isn't even meant to be taken literally--mostly. There were many differing expressions of gnostic mythology, and all were to be taken as expressions of having found gnosis. If a person were to find gnosis they were encouraged to describe it in their own unique way. Those who found gnosis didn't need to verify it by referring to other written testimonies--they simply knew

And if you had been really serious about "converting" to gnosticism, one of the first things you would've discovered is that to them, there is no such thing as "the word of God." In fact, much of the New Testiment writings were motivated by the struggle between the gnostics and the orthodox that was prevalent at the time. The verses you quoted in your post are good examples.

The only reason the gnostic side of Christianity fell to the orthodox side is because gnosticism is a much less aggressive, less institutional, less centralized system of beliefs. The gnostics were only interested in personal enlightenment --not social conquest. 

If you really want to consider gnosticism, you have to stop thinking of the Bible as "the word of God." Otherwise, you're not really serious about it.

5. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Did I say you today I love you My Goddess? smile

1. profile image0

You don't need to because I already know.  big_smile  Love you too Misha MetaGod.  *heart* smile  Nice avatar.

1. Misha profile image62
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Your Majesty smile

And I believe it never hurts to say "I love you" one extra time smile

6. underhiswings profile image60
    underhiswingsposted 14 years ago

@ Fairbear

Yes, it is very true, the Jesus who you teach was a total Gnostic for sure, no doubt about it. Plenty of Jesus' running around the countryside then and now.

You have plenty of Messiah's  and Jesus' because the Mormons have one, the Jehovah's Witnesses, the Catholics, the Gnostic's, the Universals, the Christians, the Scientists, the Muslims, the Jews, mohitmisra who thinks he is Jesus, the Buddhists, the Krishna's, the Americans, the White Supremacists, the Hub Pages have a Jesus, and blah, blah,blah...

You have a Jesus who came and lived and died and who is dead, you have Jesus the prophet, the historic Jesus, Jesus the teacher, Jesus who came and was an offering for the sins of mankind, who rose from the dead and who is the mediator between God and man, the Jesus who came once and will not return, Jesus who will return, Jesus who will come and secretly take people away etc....etc...etc...!!! big_smile

All of them are a different Jesus. Nothing new here, lot's of Jesus' being proclaimed all ove the world.

7. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

There are other stories much earlier than the bible from which the biblical jesus story could have evolved also.

8. Vladimir Uhri profile image59
    Vladimir Uhriposted 14 years ago

Actually knowledge could be trouble and dangerous. Remember the Tree of Knowledge Good and Evil?
    The confusion occurs that we know less as we think we know. We are guessing a lot and then we face the chaos.
    Apocrypha are junk. They are stories not harmonizing rest of the Scriptures. They are written in Greek language and claims to be Tanakh writings. Vladimir

What is the Tanakh?

1. Misha profile image62

Bible, silly! What an ignorance! lol

2. Vladimir Uhri profile image59

Old Testament. Sorry.

Why is it called that? The Tanakh?

1. Misha profile image62

Oh, you are killing me with your ignorance! If you didn't know - and you obviously didn't - the oldest part of your religion book known as Old Testament to Christians was written by ancient Jews, and  served several thousand years before Christians (and still serves) as Tanakh - the holy book of Judaism.

Are you aware that Jesus was a jew? Or this is a mystery to you, too?

I am well aware of the king of the Jews.
              I was asking him why it is called the Tanakh?
              I know what the Old Testament is, that is not is question. I said "why is it called that"...referring to the Tanakh.
              Do you know where the term comes from?
              he used it so I thought he would have known. smile

2. Misha profile image62

Apocrypha are no more junk than the bible, probably less junk cause they were much less mistranslated and misedited. smile

Oh, common, angel Misha

9. earnestshub profile image80

Who's Messiah would that be? smile

That's what I am trying to get at, the person who posted this topic will not say who they are referring to when they say "Jesus"
      Which one?

1. profile image0

I believe you are requesting a one sided answer so that you can preach about how wrong gnostics and other beliefs are.

In turn I could ask you the same question and if I reply, "not your Jesus".  I can only say then... you are right.  Not your Jesus. 

smile

The OP says "the real Jesus" like it is a factual statement so I am wondering who that is to this person and that is ok to ask. smile

10. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Oops, sorry, guess I misinterpreted you then. smile

I am afraid I am not that good with etimology, especially Hebrew etimology, does it matter though? Do you know where the name bible comes from? Or tora for this matter?

Yes I do Torah (means instructions / commandments / laws) and Bible (The Greeks called the plant the used to write on biblos), I know where it comes from.
      I was asking him these things because people toss out terms and sometimes do not know what they mean.

11. Fairbear profile image59

Sorry, I've been away. Didn't have a chance to respond to all of you.

When I say Jesus, I am referring to the man who most everyone is referring to when they say Jesus. He was written about in the New Testament as well as many other documents from the first four centuries. He is perhaps the most famous person to ever live. That's the guy I'm talking about.

A lot of people don't get gnosticism. They think of it in terms of Christianity. But that just goes to show the truth of it. Some get it and some don't. Those who don't will forever misunderstand it.

Can you please cite the places He proved He was a Gnostic?

And can you briefly tell us what one is to you?

12. Fairbear profile image59

I'm not sure what you're wanting me to site. Jesus didn't write anything that we know of.

A gnostic is someone who seeks, or has attained personal salvation/enlightenment through gnosis. Gnosis is a special kind of knowledge that cannot be comprehended through learning, nor can it be taught.

Well then, if you cannot prove He is what you think, then why do you believe it?
      And if this cannot be taught, why did Jesus teach?

1. Fairbear profile image59
        Fairbearposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You didn't ask me to prove anything. You asked me to cite where he proves that he is a gnostic. That's different.

But regardless. I can prove what I believe about Jesus as well as you can prove what you believe about him. My belief is based on personal experience and personal insight. I've done extensive studies on both orthodox Christianity and gnosticism, and I've found infinitely more truth in the latter.

I believe Jesus directed people towards gnosis. The fact that not everyone who followed him was a gnostic shows how unteachable gnosis is. If you see the truth, there's no question about it. If you don't, no one can show it to you. Not everyone is susceptible to it. But for those who are, guidance can be very helpful.

I also don't think he was the first gnostic. Not by a long shot. He just happened to be extremely influential, perhaps unintentionally.

Sound to me is like New Age movement. Jesus is Son of God. I wrote hub difference between trinity of man: spirit, soul and body. The knowledge is located in head and soul is our "human" servant, computer or switchboard. The man is spirit located (headquarter) in the area of heart. The word heart is cor in medical term. But I am talking about spirit man, heart. The knowledge of the man is very important, but priority is faith and second love which are products of spirit and not the soul, (brain). God put to Tree information, knowledge in the garden. Mans should not use the fruit without God's revelation (or consultation). He did ate and he started to see the bad and evil. Then he fell down from revelation to reasoning.
          New Age people embraced all what is outside the Bible. It became so confusing, hard to straight it out.

1. atomswifey profile image56
            atomswifeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There were actually two trees in the garden. smile
            One being the tree of life and the other the knowledge of good and evil.
            God instructed Adam and Adam chose and lusted after the knowledge being tempted to be like God.
            Rather than choosing life eternal with God in paradise without sin.
            Boy doesn't this sound familiar of some in here. lol
            God then reconciled Himself to man through the sacrifice of Jesus.
            Thus allowing us to have that choice once again, of the tree of life or the tree of death.

1. earnestshub profile image80
              earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And adam and eve lived happily ever after with their incestuous kids. lol

2. UpHisAss profile image59
              UpHisAssposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Excellent work. Just a little more condescending and we are perfect here. See how these ignorant ones will not listen? Say it again.

1. tantrum profile image60
                tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Excellent work, yeah ! lol that's all you've said in all your posts. Maybe you're a  robot big_smile

2. mohitmisra profile image61
      mohitmisraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There is one story about him coming to India learning from the masters and then going back and spreading knowledge of the Light or god.If this is true then yes he was a gnostic.

Otherwise he may have gained enlightenment somewhere else and not in India which would also qualify him for a gnostic. smile

13. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 14 years ago

You can read some about it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnosticism

You cannot be taught "how" to understand.  You can learn how to do something, you can be told about a concept, you can understand as much as you own mind/heart will permit yourself to.

So people can be taught.  Jesus was called a teacher, Jesus taught a lot of things.  People in general teach a lot of things but not everything can be "known". 

To "knowledge" is equated to agnosticism, to "know" is equated to "Gnosticism".  In gnostisim, everything is about knowledge until it is known.

Some gnostic groups believe that the teachings of Jesus were perverted, others believe that Jesus perverted the teachings.  Either way, the outcome is that a person "seeks" to "knowledge" and when it becomes "known" then it is gnostic.

Gnosticism in their time was a lot like modern science in our time.  I believe that gnostics are much more disliked than Atheist because some call the gnostic practices "witch craft" when really, it's accumulated knowledge of how things work. 

Christians call it mysticism but in science we might call it an experiment or something.  When it comes to spirituality, the mystical nature of the gnostic isn't that we can do magic tricks...

It's because we become "naturally" awakened by the beauty and aw of our natural world and part of that "natural" state is something that a human possess that looks "unnatural" (consider the god inside).  When we give thanks, we give thanks to everything as a whole, not just one god or any god at all.

In which case, our understanding is that god is "unnatural" because it is defies the natural laws of the Universe. ie: it lives but does not die, it is here but was not born, we "know" it but it cannot be defined.

It is not to say that because I do not believe in Jesus or in this god people think of as Jesus, or because I use the term unnatural, that I think it is evil.  It's just what it is because it is not exactly "natural" is it?

So we live in a complex world filled with duality but we do believe in something.  I just don't call it god because I know that the use of the word god has been "hijacked" by mainstream organized religion.  A lesson that I learned late in life.

Again, people can learn, people can "understand", people can teach and share their knowledge and wisdome... but you cannot be taught "how" to understand. This is something that people learn on their own and understand only in themselves.  Hence the way we understand god is considered blasphemy but in my heart/mind... IT just is. smile

14. atomswifey profile image56
    atomswifeyposted 14 years ago

wiki says of gnosticism:
    the belief that humans are trapped in a material world created by an imperfect god.
    I stopped right there as I found the answer.

That sums up why I do NOT believe Jesus was a Gnostic.

As for God, His way is perfect: the word of the LORD is tried: he is a buckler to all those that trust in him. (Psalms 18:30)

Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect. Matthew 5:48
    (we are to strive for perfection)
    Jesus himself said this very verse.

To think Jesus thought Himself as He is God, as imperfect would be well, not true.

1. profile image0

Hi hun. Maybe you should have kept reading to understand the concept behind the use of imperfect. smile

Good luck with being closed minded. smile

1. atomswifey profile image56
        atomswifeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thank you but I prefer to open minded to who God is. What HE SAID and Where I stand in that.
        Thank you though all the same smile

15. earnestshub profile image80

You open minded? That one bought tears! lol lol

16. tantrum profile image60
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

lol lol lol Still with these arguments !

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)