How to Improve Your Basketball Dribbling Skills
Dribbling is very important in basketball because you will never get around or will often commit traveling violations if you are not good on this though. Magic Johnson was so popular in NBA with his dribbling and passing skills during his time. When Johnson was young he usually brings with him a basketball and dribbles it anywhere he goes. Many years later, Johnson was fancied for his magical passing and uncanny dribbling skills. He even steered his Lakers team to numerous championships together with Kareem Abdul Jabbar and James Worthy.
Michael Jordan of the Chicago Bulls which is considered by many basketball pundits, aficionados and fans as the greatest player in NBA, was so lethal with his crossover dribble. He also tricked Bryon Russell with this move and was left unguarded with 12 seconds left to nail the game winning shot in the 1998 NBA Championships over the Utah Jazz. The shot helped the Bulls win the series 4-2 over the Jazz.
The importance of dribbling skills
Improving one’s dribbling skills is of essence: for point guards it will let them have better ball control, for shooting guards it will let them rip through enemy defenses for a short stab at the basket or even a riveting dunk, and for forwards and centers it will give them edge on the middle.
How to be a better dribbler, here are some tips and pointers I hope it will help in a way:
- Dribble using both hands and without looking at the ball. Do this for at least 30 minutes every day.
- Make an obstacle course and try to navigate through these using your right hand, left hand or both of your hands. You can use chairs, bottles or anything and arrange these in a straight line and at least 1 meter apart. Do your best not to look at the ball and increase the pace of your dribbling as you go along.
- Also spend a lot of time perfecting other important dribbling skills like spins, behind-the-legs, behind-the-back and cross-over. These dribbling skills are cinched to help you elude or fake your defenders.
- You may watch the games of your favorite point guard and shooting guard in NBA and try to emulate their dribbling skills.
- You may polish your dribbling skills by doing basketball drills often such as tapping the ball with both of your hands to enhance your grip, dribbling balls on both of your hands simultaneously over an obstacle course and among others.
- Keep in mind that the more you spend time in dribbling the better you will get.
Thanks a lot for the read.
My 19th Hub in the HubChallenge