Should Pete Rose Be in the Hall of Fame?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (13 posts)
  1. Joseph Frankina profile image68
    Joseph Frankinaposted 11 years ago

He was caught gambling. He has been permanently banned from baseball including the Hall of Fame. Is this a fair punishment? Are there other players who have committed worse crimes who are not banned from the game or the Hall of Fame? Should they be banned?

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good question.
      I don't know enough about this overall to say......
      but I think it's an important question.
      The only team I ever watched was the Cincinnatti Reds, 'cause my Dad loved them.  Pete Rose is the name I remember most!
      I also remember my Dad being disappointed when he heard about the gambling inside the team.

Joseph Frankinaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Pete Rose is one of the greatest players of all time. I'm a Giants fan, and one too young to have been around when the scandal broke, but it is still disappointing. I can't imagine what it was like for a Red's fan.

He deserved a punishment equal to his infractions. I'm not sure a lifetime ban from baseball and the Hall of Fame is fair.

2. michiganman567 profile image72
    michiganman567posted 11 years ago

Yes, Pete Rose should be banned.  It is not a crime to Gamble.  Pete Rose was not banned because he did something illegal.  He was banned because he tarnished the product that MLB sells to its customers.  You can not have players, coaches, managers, umpires gambling on games and tell the fans that they are watching a real sport.  It becomes the WWE. 

Pete Rose is not a victim.  He knew the consequences of his actions.

You are correct; he is not a victim or guilt-free. He deserves a punishment. Do you think the actions of his gambling changed or could have changed outcomes on the field?

1. profile image0
        Deepes Mindposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely. If he better for the Reds, he could have bribed players from other teams to not play as well.. If he was betting against the Reds, the 1919 Black Sox scandal comes to mind

2. AlienTaylor profile image56
      AlienTaylorposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Bud Selig made special consessions to Steinbrenner 's and Joe Torre 's family to maintain and compete, several stables of racing horses. Last time I checked, folks gamble on horses.  And Joe don't have 4000+ hits

3. Alphadogg16 profile image87
    Alphadogg16posted 11 years ago

In my opinion, Pete Rose deserves to be in the All of Fame. He is the greatest hitter the game of baseball has ever seen to this day. Yes, he gambled on his own team which is very morally deficient/unscrupulous, but that has nothing to do with what he did on the field. Unlike all these steroid users who are eligible for the Hall. If OJ Simpsons Hall of Fame football credentials haven't been revoked, Pete Rose should definitely get his chance in the baseball Hall of fame.

I agree. Great example with OJ. I never thought of that.

1. profile image0

There is a difference between OJ's crime(s) and Rose betting on games. OJ's crimes, while horrible, were committed several years AFTER he retired from his sport. His actions had no effect on the games he was involved in nor did he break any of the league rules while an active player. OJ's HOF credentials were not tarnished (though his image was) for his crimes.

Rose's actions, on the other hand, though not illegal, were a violation of league rules and were committed during the years that he was active as both a player and a manager. By betting on his own team, he was in a position where he could directly affect the outcome of the games he was betting on (think 1919 Black Sox scandal). In this situation, according to league rules, the punishment fits the crime (so to speak). Some people may not be able to deny his accomplishments on the field, but it could be argued that since he was betting on games that he could have bribed players on other teams to gain an advantage. any situation where games and performances could be affected ultimately tarnishes the game and sport..

1. Alphadogg16 profile image87
          Alphadogg16posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you somewhat on that Deepes Mind, It is possible Pete Rose could have affected the out come of games, although it was never proven. But if that's the logic to keep Rose out of the HOF, then no one else should be admitted into the HOF that played after 1985. The year Jose Canseco entered MLB and openly acknowledged steroid use and stated 80% of the players were using the drugs. Ken Caminiti of the Padres made a similar statement after his retirement from the Padres that 85% of the players were using performance enhancing drugs. Pretty much ever player that has denied using, has been proven to be a liar. So there is no way of knowing who used and who didn't, who's stats may be inflated by drugs and who's are not. The HOF should not allow any new members.

1. profile image0

I can't fully agree with that. Of course, anyone that got caught or admitted to using certainly should not be enshrined, IMO. We can't speak for those who have kept quite. But the fact remains those who are caught and known to have violated league rules should face and accept their fate.

4. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image72
    BLACKANDGOLDJACKposted 11 years ago

I just watched the Pirates at the Reds and Pete Rose was in the stands.

So he's 72 now and it's been 25 years or so since the betting.

I say let him in the Hall of Fame before he dies.

Baseball is somewhat hypocritical in that it allowed the steroid usage to go on and on.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)