jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Best food to consume during hiking

1. travelerhubs profile image60
    travelerhubsposted 8 years ago

Best food to consume during hiking

just trail mix and plenty of water? what else?

2. Chris Telden profile image91
    Chris Teldenposted 8 years ago

Unsweetened Dates.  You don't need a lot, but the natural sugars go really far to give you energy.

Salmon jerky/beef jerky/turkey jerky (unless you're vegetarian, of course).  Lightweight source of protein.

3. Benz B profile image60
    Benz Bposted 8 years ago

Trail mix bars are always a good choice.  I like the nature valley chewy fruit and nuts bar.

4. profile image0
    Common Thredposted 8 years ago

You could take Clif Bars or Power Bars. YOu can also bring along baby carrots and celery sticks. And perhaps string cheese or stick cheese; anything that can stand heat and be away from refrigeration for a long period of time. I enjoy cheese cubes and crackers.

Hey why not buy a Lunchable meal and take that? Just make sure like I said it will still be edible if it's out of refrigeration for any length of time.

There's also fruit like apples, bananas, etc.  just use your imagination! smile

5. outdoorguy38 profile image38
    outdoorguy38posted 8 years ago

If you are hiking in areas with a lot of bear activity you need to be aware that any fruit or fruit bars will attract them to your pack...bears operate on their sense of smell and their curiosity. So just keep this in mind and make sure you eat anything with fruit first, especially before leaving your pack unattended or sleeping next to it.
    If you plan on having a fire and cooking on it, you will be safer to bring dry food stuffs like rice, beans, etc...

6. profile image49
    chance 13posted 8 years ago

the best food is wat do you enjoy well i love this recipes i make aluminum foil you will need this. take the foil pull out about a foot and a half for each person onion pepper beef a little salt and pepper cut everything up and wrap everything in a peice of aluminum foil. make sure everybody gets alittle bit of everything in there foil. wrap foil around everything and cook on coals. if you have an onion left over take the butter put alot of it on the onion add salt and pepper . wrap in foil cook until soft

7. fdoleac profile image59
    fdoleacposted 8 years ago

Light and easy to digest.  Almonds, walnuts, dried fruit, jerky or any of the high protein bars.

8. profile image0
    vinsanityposted 6 years ago

Snacks with good sources of protein and electrolytes to keep you full with energy. nuts with fruit are good.

working