jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Is Coach Mike Krzyzewski the modern day John Wooden?

1. profile image54
    Ball2Dayposted 7 years ago

Is Coach Mike Krzyzewski the modern day John Wooden?

Coach Krzyzewski  completed his 30th year as head coach of the Duke University Men's basketball program. A few of his accomplishments:
    1. 4 National Championships
    2. 12 National Coach of the Year honors
    3. First in all time NCAA tournament wins
    4. 11 Final Four appearances
    5.Over 90 weeks ranked No. 1 in country
    6. 26 NCAA Tournament bids
    7. Coach of the 2008 Men's Basketball Gold  Medal Olympic Basketball Team
    These are a few of his national honors. He has over 300 ACC league victories and 12 ACC Tournament championships. He is the modern day John Wooden. His legend will continue to grow.

2. profile image0
    da_bizkidposted 7 years ago

you can compare the two but no John Wooden, Mike needs more championships to get in that category with Wooden maybe you can put him with the top five coaches but no John Wooden. If any one who would be considered as a modern day Wooden is Phil Jackson. Although it will be a close call HA HA

3. nicomp profile image67
    nicompposted 7 years ago

To my knowledge Coach K didn't overlook rampant cheating and allow his players to be bought and sold by 'boosters' such as Sam Gilbert.

4. profile image54
    Ball2Dayposted 7 years ago

I don't know of any division 1 program that can say that some booster somewhere is not helping.  I did  not say anything about if Coach Wooden ran a totally clean program I only wanted to talk records.

5. profile image0
    Husky1970posted 7 years ago

Coach K is not a modern day John Wooden.  He is a unique leader and the best college basketball coach ever.  A longer career and more victories.  As far as National Championships are concerned, all 4 of Coach K's took 6 games to win.  Each of Wooden's National Championships only took 4 or even 3 wins to achieve.  Every one of Coach K's Fuinal Four appearances by themselves took 4 wins to achieve. So, comparing National Championships isn't easy.  Let's not forget getting Lebron, Kobe, Dwayne, Carmelo, et al to leave their egos at the door of the gym and play team basketball to capture the Olympic Gold.  Coach K can flat out LEAD!