jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Real Vs. Fake Baits : What is the best for a casual freshwater fisher?

1. thranax profile image53
    thranaxposted 7 years ago

Real Vs. Fake Baits : What is the best for a casual freshwater fisher?

2. puter_dr profile image85
    puter_drposted 7 years ago

In my opinion, for the beginner fisherman, a live bait may offer the best opportunity for success.      When I first went fishing, we used live bait, in this case worms. I was fishing with my Dad and my uncle Curt, and Curtis was an old fisherman.... read more

3. Edward Kirk profile image85
    Edward Kirkposted 7 years ago

Way to complex a question without a lot more info. But; assuming you are using a light weight spin casting reel/rod and you are fishing a small lake from the shore; hook, worm and bobber would offer the most fun and chance for success. You may want to have a few small (1/16-1/8) lead head jigs and chartreuse  colored tails in the tackle basket. These will catch pan fish and small bass.

4. Mikeydoes profile image77
    Mikeydoesposted 7 years ago

If you are looking for bass the Senko worm (5 inch) texas rig is the best.

They say live bait produces the best results and biggest fish, and for me its hard to say otherwise. If you are casual you should do a little bit of both, it is fun to mix it up. Cut bait will catch you some big catfish.

5. Beclecto profile image56
    Beclectoposted 7 years ago

I've always caught more Bass using plastic worms.  The biggest Bass i caught was on a "real magic" lure.  Love those, can't believe you can't get them anymore.

For speckled perch fishing, minnows worked best.  I'm fishing lakes in Florida and those are my favorite two species.

6. fordie profile image73
    fordieposted 7 years ago

Real bait requires proper presentation and that can be difficult. Artificial baits are designed to look right so are easier - but then lack the realism in other ways