jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What wisdom can you share about Chinese martial arts?

1. windresistant profile image58
    windresistantposted 7 years ago

What wisdom can you share about Chinese martial arts?

My fiance is a teacher of Shaolin and Tai Chi (Wu style) and he has also studied a number of other arts, Wing Chun, Ba Gua, and some non-Chinese styles. I've always found the Chinese styles most intriguing personally, and I was wondering what the other experience martial artists on here had to say about it.

2. Lee Savage profile image58
    Lee Savageposted 7 years ago

There are many styles of Martial Arts that Originated in China. One that I recomend looking into is San Soo Kung Fu. It has a very rich History and a very intresting story of how it was passed down. San Soo is a Brutal no-nonsince Martial art that trains People to end confrontation quickly with deadly reactions to the attackers actions. They are Shadow Warriors, check them out, you will be amazed

3. ThunderKeys profile image65
    ThunderKeysposted 7 years ago

Wing Chun is one of the arts I studied. It's principals of continuously following the center line (shortest distance between two points) economy of emotion (least movement required for effective blocking/striking) along with the principal of simultaneity of block and strike, constitute highly practical examples of  Chinese martial wisdom. The wooden dummy practice method has strong roots in Wing Chun as well.

- Duddy.

4. surfcaster2010 profile image80
    surfcaster2010posted 7 years ago

Interestingly enough, I trained in two martial arts for over 20 years. Soo Bahk Do and Kanzen GoJu Ryu. The first was a Korean style the second Japanese. Both had deep roots in Chinese martial arts influence. The wisdom that I can share from having trained is that all martial arts today, take from each other and have been influenced by each other. There really is no longer a "pure" art which is a good thing. The collaboration between arts can only help those who practice as the techniques become more practical and efficient.