jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

When you go fishing, does the sustainability of your catch matter to you?

1. Gordon Hamilton profile image98
    Gordon Hamiltonposted 6 years ago

When you go fishing, does the sustainability of your catch matter to you?

If you like to go fishing and eat your catch - particularly with regard to saltwater/sea fishing - do you take full account of what species are sustainable in your local waters?  Do you target only species which are plentiful and return endangered fish as unharmed as possible to the sea? How do you determine which is which in your area?

2. jimmythejock profile image86
    jimmythejockposted 6 years ago

Hi Gordon, I must say great question. I am a believer in keeping enough to feed my family and throw the rest back, I usualy keep 5 fish which of course are legal size and return small fish and any others over 5 back to the water.....jimmy

3. nutuba profile image59
    nutubaposted 6 years ago

It's important to know what is endangered and what is not, so talk to the locals / experts and find out. Yes, we practice catch-and-release if the fish is endangered or needed for sustainability. For example, when halibut fishing in Alaska, the large fish (i.e., 100 pounds or more) have millions of eggs and should be released.

Most fishermen I know are good stewards of nature and act accordingly.

4. profile image0
    idratherbeposted 6 years ago

I only keep what we are going to eat. With numbers down for most fish in Florida, your creel limit is limited. Also only being able to keep certain fish between sizes has helped the overall population to grow.

5. CZCZCZ profile image84
    CZCZCZposted 6 years ago

Yes it is absolutely.  I release many more fish than I keep.  Keeping a fish or two here or there is a nice treat and a healthy addition to the diet, but putting meat in the freezer is not the reason that I enjoy to spend my time on the water fishing.