Rainbow River, FL?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (15 posts)
  1. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 11 years ago

Anyone been diving, fishing, snorkeling, or tubing on the Rainbow near Dunnellon? It looks gorgeous in the pics and videos I've seen! We're thinking of renting a house there for a family/friends vacay. What kinds of fish can you catch?

2. Pearldiver profile image68
    Pearldiverposted 11 years ago

Nope...

But if you want some real fish and fishing... come down and see me, some time...

A 24lb Brown Trout was weighed in a couple of weeks ago by Barry the one legged axeman... and we regularly have the odd old trout looking to hook up with a real angler, dependent of course on the size of his bait!  smile

And for Saltwater fishing locally...

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/7558823_f248.jpg

22 lb Red Snapper

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/7558824_f248.jpg

23 lb Red Snapper

We don't have catfish here... just dogfish!  smile

1. habee profile image92
      habeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Do you have flounder and redfish? Flounder is awesomely delish!

1. Pearldiver profile image68
        Pearldiverposted 11 years agoin reply to this

We net and spear flounder on the incoming tides in estuaries, rivers and harbors... You need a spear, because of their size and the dangerous nature of them... not like your tame corn kernel fed variety!  More like halibut on steroids!  smile   Sometimes only a lead spinner is the right lure to dispatch them!  smile

I don't know what your redfish are... but we have a few red, green, blue, pink, silver and even fluro colored fish here... all sorts... we are just islands after all, so we are surrounded by ocean and from the relatively unexplored Southern Ocean.. we often get Giant Squid and humongous penguins... smile

But often it's too hard to find anyone prepared to take you fishing for them, not just because penguins are protected, but giant squid aren't... and the problem with them is; that to catch them, you need a giant bait and gear and only purpose built boats have the facilities to store the baits and the squid... smile
        Pretty dangerous stuff fishing down here... even catch Marlin by jumping out of choppers and wrestling them into submission.... so you see, flounder are tame compared to that!  smile  Check youtube...

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
          SomewayOuttaHereposted 11 years agoin reply to this

kewl!....i'm heading out on the next chopper.....!!!

...i watched something on the glowtube last night about giant squids as a matter of fact....i'd luv to see penguin....such an amazing place where you live PD!...i watched the Hobbit the other day too...beautiful country!

Yeah, it's not bad... but our carbon footprint is getting bigger all the time sad

You do realize we all have really, really big feet though don't you ML??  lol

You need them for holding onto black and blue marlin....
            and for acting roles in Peter Jackson movies!  smile

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
              SomewayOuttaHereposted 11 years agoin reply to this

....and i thought those were fake feet!!!!!!   yikes

We're not THAT pretentious ML... and of course All types of 'movies' are filmed here!!  lol

yikes

1. habee profile image92

You're in NZ? I don't know why, but I thought you were in Australia.

2. habee profile image92

500-pound grouper:
      http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6905608_f248.jpg

This is a redfish - a baby one and a good size to use as bait to catch the big ones. The grandkids catch 'em on cane poles for us.
      http://s1.hubimg.com/u/7561908_f248.jpg

And I'll bet my dog is bigger than yours!! lol

Yep... I'm a Kiwi.... we are unique.... there are only 4.5million of us throughout the world, although 2.5 million of them are in Australia, that's why the fishing is still good here!

Cool... those are great shots!!
        And a great way for young ones to grow up!  smile

So you are good at catching the bait then!  smile

We have grouper also, but we only tag and release them because they are endangered and probably should be in FL too, around the pins.. they are gentle fish to dive with too.

It's more suitable to use the 800 - 1000 lb fish for chasing giant squid... our Southern Blue Tuna are perfect, but the last one just sold in Japan went for US 1.6 million... so now old dairy cows are being considered as alternatives!  I can't see that working though, as they are not a natural food source to the giant squid and if you know anything about cows... they are full of gas!!! smile

Yes... I used to own a Great Dane also... but we had to send him back to Europe, coz he was always trying to mount old people in the street!  yikes  Sooooo embarrassing..... he was REALLY good at it!!  lol

1. habee profile image92

Yes, Goliath grouper in FL are protected.

No, we let the kids catch the bait, unless we're tossing cast nets.

Why would you want to catch a giant squid?

Do you have manatees there?

Our Danes are very well mannered.

That's good... some of the backward ones here, use their kids for bait!  sad

Giant Squid are the ultimate game fish... they have sunk many boats, attack and feed on whales and just about any fisherman stupid enough to not tie himself in when hooked up!  Consider that they are between 20 - 60 foot long and then I'm sure you can appreciate why you use big hooks!  Normal squid lures don't work and in their natural space these guys are only eaten by the sperm whale, who can stay down for two hours on a single breath...  I have found half a giant squid (fresh) washed up and without its tenticles it was 18 feet long... it kept me in squid bait for 2 years and there was still enough left to make a 'meal' of squid rings for someone I disliked... smile   
            We don't have manatees... that's probably why old dairy cows were suggested as bait for giant squid??
            Oh yeah well, our Dane was also very well mannered Hollie... he always 'thanked' the people he mounted with a huge lick on their face!  It was sad seeing him leave though, because they have great personalities.... I believe he married a Swedish girl and they had a litter of 2..  lol   
            He would probably have gotten arrested today for what he did to passing pedestrians!  big_smile

3. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

Habee, I'm not much of a fishing gal, but the area is incredibly beautiful, the waters of the river are crystal clear.  You would love it, there's so much to do, it's nature's playground. 

I found this video -  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oitLVJo … _embedded.
    Looks like fun~

1. habee profile image92

Thanks, Bek! I'll check out the vid.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)