jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (13 posts)

Do you use topwater or crankbait for bass this time of year and which one?

1. Randall Pruitt profile image59
    Randall Pruittposted 5 years ago

Do you use topwater or crankbait for bass this time of year and which one?

2. MikeR1 profile image76
    MikeR1posted 5 years ago

I am quite interested to see what others have to say on this, but I like top water.  However, I've caught both largemouth and smallmouth bass at the surface, mid level and the bottom of a pond, lake and reservoir.  I think with all fishing, you try different methods as weather has an impact, rainfall, the sun and time of day, even too much boating in the area.  Just when you feel one method is fail safe, it is the opposite method that ends up working.

Randall Pruittposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I have tried many different things before I found what they will bite. Thanks for the comment.

3. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

This time of year, Especially the later we get into the fall, They are going to be hitting on both topwater and crankbait. So which ever you prefer, Have at it.

I use both also. Have a Heddon and Matzuo. Thanks for the comment.

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 5 years agoin reply to this

No problem.

3. Randall Pruitt profile image59

Which knot do u use? Do u tie directly to the crankbait?

4. Inventurist profile image78
    Inventuristposted 5 years ago

Randall, it surely depends on where you are - and are we fishing for largemouth, smallmouth or spotted bass? We are still getting hot days, cooling nights here in North Georgia where my brother is seeing fishing picking up on Lake Okeechobee. One of the guys that works with us is doing his prep work - pulling the boat AND dock out of the water so when it freezes in a couple weeks it will be safe!

I fish a soft plastic up feeder streams right now - Avenger is the new bait from Bruiser Baits, and it is a killer. I also fish larger and longer soft worms right now. Sure, some guys are drawn to deeper water and fishing a stick worm on a drop shot rig. But honestly, to your question, after first morning casting I'd move to the crankbaits around structure until last two hours of daylight and bring back topwater.

Good thinking. I fish Lanier and I also pull out the cranks during the hot days. Thanks for the comment.

5. Tod Zechiel profile image82
    Tod Zechielposted 5 years ago

I fly fish exclusively.  In central Florida, I stop fishing for bass all together in July and August - water temperatures are just to high and the fishing is slow.  I typically start back up in September with topwater at daybreak, then fairly deep after about 9:00 am.  I caught some bass on poppers early, went deeper and nothing.

Bass seem to love topwater here also. Thanks for the comment.

6. mrfishs profile image60
    mrfishsposted 5 years ago

I have fished for bass 50 yrs, the hot and sunny days use crankbaits,  deep diver types, cool evenings use jitter bugs, hula poppers and such.

Thank you for the comment. I use a Heddon Zara spook jr or baby torpedo. Then a Matzuo swagger shad for crank.

working