jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

American Football Rules: What happens when there's a fumble during an extra-poin

1. SidKemp profile image96
    SidKempposted 5 years ago

American Football Rules: What happens when there's a fumble during an extra-point kick?

I watch football occasionally, and I thought I knew the rules well enough. But I saw two things in yesterdays Browns vs. Ravens game that got me puzzled. One was a fumble during an extra-point kick. The Ravens had just scored a touchdown, making the score 6-0. In receiving the football, the guy who holds the ball for the kicker (does he have a title, by the way), dropped the ball and fumbled it. The Ravens recovered. Does this just count as a missed kick, or are there other consequences? If the defense had recovered, could they have run with the ball?

2. hockey8mn profile image76
    hockey8mnposted 5 years ago

He is just simply the holder.  As for fumbling the ball, yes, the defense could run with the ball.  If they reach the oppositions end-zone, it is worth a point.

1. SidKemp profile image96
      SidKempposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks again, Hockey. Running all the way down the field for just one point! Hmmm.

2. hockey8mn profile image76
      hockey8mnposted 5 years agoin reply to this

No problem.  As junkseller stated, it very well could be two points.  Either way, it is a lot of work for a few points lol.

3. junkseller profile image85
    junksellerposted 5 years ago

On an extra-point kick in the NFL, if the ball is blocked or fumbled and the defense recovers it, the ball is immediately ruled dead. They can not advance it.

I think on a fumble, but am not entirely sure, that the offense can still attempt to advance the ball to the end-zone (for a two-point conversion), but only by the player who actually fumbled it. I've never actually seen it done, though.

College is different. In college football, the ball can be advanced by the defense. if they get to the end-zone, they get two points.

4. rfmoran profile image86
    rfmoranposted 5 years ago

A fumble is a fumble and the team that recovers gains possession. Some think that this gives the offense the opportunity to fumble, recover and try for a touchdown or field goal on the next play, but a fumble is chaotic and should never be risked. I'm almost certain this is correct, if not, I would be amazed

working