jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Should A-Rod be banned for life for his involvement with Biogenesis and PED's?

1. mosaicman profile image80
    mosaicmanposted 4 years ago

Should A-Rod be banned for life for his involvement with Biogenesis  and PED's?

MLB is giving A-Rod an option to either take a year and a half suspension (approx) or face a possible ban for life if he is found guilty in using Performance Enhancing Drugs through Biogenesis. Should he be banned for life from MLB? How many times should a repeated offender break the rules before getting the lifetime ban? I think he should get the 1 and a half penalty. I also feel they should renegotiate the suspension length for first and second time offenders. Many players are willing to take the 50 game suspension. They have already made it to the Bigs and made millions of dollars.

2. lions44 profile image100
    lions44posted 4 years ago

Since technically he's never been "caught" before through testing (not sure, although he's admitted to using), the year and a half is fine.  MLB encouraged this behavior for so long, it would be hypocrisy for them to start handing out lifetime bans when someone like Mark McGwire is still a hitting coach.  Manny Ramirez is even trying to get back into the game.  Next thing we know Sammy Sosa will be a sales rep for Louisville Slugger. 
    A lifetime ban might actually earn ARod some sympathy and I don't want to see that.  Pete Rose has become a sympathetic figure in his senior years.  He will always be more loved than ARod regardless of what happens.   The most important issue for MLB is to be consistent in its punishments. I understand ARod has earned more, but for the others (assuming a first time offense), 50 games is okay.  Great question. Thx.

3. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image84
    BLACKANDGOLDJACKposted 4 years ago

I remember when Barry Bonds played for the Pirates. God gave him the talent to make the Hall of Fame without getting a big head (due to steroids). Same with A-Rod.

Give A-Rod the year-and-a-half suspension, or whatever, but not for life. He is unlikely to come back. He and Bonds and the other juicers are unlikely to ever make the Hall of Fame, as it should be.

Pete Rose should finally be forgiven, before he dies.

4. CrusherDestroyer profile image59
    CrusherDestroyerposted 4 years ago

I don't even understand how MLB has the ability to suspend a player for life for taking PED's. If they can do that, then why haven't they done that for every player that tested positive for PED's? So I don't know about that because I just don't understand it. If they have that ability and they have evidence that A-Rod has multiple offenses, then I would be for it. But they would have to be consistent and ban every other player with multiple offenses as well. But I agree with you that the penalty for a first offense should be more than 50 games.

I agree it has little effect on most players. Melky Cabrera got suspended for 50 games last year and the Blue Jays gave him $16 million. The A's re-signed Bartolo Colon before his 50 game suspension was over. I highly doubt Jhonny Peralta and Nelson Cruz are going to have problems getting contracts because of their 50 game suspensions this year.

It has to be collectively bargained with the MLBPA, but here is what I would ask for if I were MLB. On the first offense, the player is suspended for the rest of that season and for the entire next season. On the second offense, the player can no longer play in Major League Baseball.

working