jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

I have catapedaphobia - fear of jumping from a high place. How do I overcome it?

1. Say Yes To Life profile image78
    Say Yes To Lifeposted 4 years ago

I have catapedaphobia - fear of jumping from a high place. How do I overcome it?

I have no problems going off the 3 foot board at the local swimming pool. But the next platform is 16.5 feet! I can't find any place that has platforms that gradually work up to that height! This picture contains an 8 and 14 foot platform. Last year, I actually went off the 8 foot one twice, with someone, but haven't had the nerve to do it since. Whenever I find an alternative, something is wrong. I went to the ladder of a 50 foot cliff, only to find a dead shark at the bottom. I found a 6 foot wall, but the ocean there is too shallow. I have done all sorts of studies, but it still scares me!

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8502472_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    cjaroszposted 4 years ago

It is actually natural for us to be scared of something that we know could be dangerous. Its our minds way of keeping us from doing something dangerous. Jumping off cliffs, skydiving. Whatever it may be our minds know that there is a danger in it. Like swimming, or swamps. There is danger. Its part of our make up to avoid danger. It has nothing to do with conquering you fears. Its actually your mind protecting your body from something potientally harmful.

1. Say Yes To Life profile image78
      Say Yes To Lifeposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I believe that is the basis of my fear. I don't recall ever suffering trauma from falling. However, people do these things all the time with no problems. How do I work past the fear, so I don't limit my life?

2. profile image0
      cjaroszposted 4 years agoin reply to this

If it is something you really want to do, then just do it. Just make sure to take cautionary measures. Have someone with you. Things like that. I honestly don't think we get over our fears. We just push them to the back of our minds.

working