How can we overcome fear of death once and for all ?

Jump to Last Post 1-43 of 43 discussions (124 posts)
  1. Harishprasad profile image72
    Harishprasadposted 10 years ago

How can we overcome fear of death once and for all ?

Every person is in the grip of this finality but a very few know the answer of this great riddle,so this is a poser to the whole humanity.

2. profile image0
    jonnycomelatelyposted 10 years ago

In my view, it is not the actuality of death which causes people fear.  It is the possible unpleasant happenings before death takes place which people fear.... mostly anyway.
    Some who really believe that they will have an individual consciousness after death will most likely be the ones who fear death itself.  They will be afraid of facing their own life, in all it's honest appraisal, and being held to account before some mysterious creature who is going to exact revenge for all the mistakes and wrongdoings of life.
    Others, myself included, have no fear of death because we know there is a state of nothingness following death.  I will have no feeling, no awareness, no consciousness, no memory, no sorrow.
    If I have addressed everything before me, in the Here and Now, fully, squarely, honestly, diligently, then I am capable of nothing more.  I am not able to retrace the past and live it again.  I cannot determine the future because it never, in fact, arrives.  I am left with only this Here and Now, the Present, in which I have total responsibility: a Life in which I have the singular experience, which no one else can live for me.
    The Life must have my full attention.  At Death, my attention will be gone forever.

1. lone77star profile image74
      lone77starposted 10 years agoin reply to this

And some who know of a consciousness without a body will have absolutely no fear at all. And those who didn't pay attention, will have a bardo of confusion and terror without the stable continuity of consciousness of their human body.

2. Harishprasad profile image72
      Harishprasadposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Very sane words,Johnycomelately.We are so concerned with life after death that we overlook or miss a greater part of life throbbing before us in all splendour.What a pity!

3. Bryon Ehlmann profile image87
      Bryon Ehlmannposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree wholeheartedly with the philosophy of life expressed by jonnycomelately but disagree with the two assumptions he makes on which it is based.  One assumption is that just two possibilities exist for what we face at death:  1) a supernatural af

4. profile image51
      ashyakposted 10 years agoin reply to this

A true friend lights up an entire lifetime.be my best friend by replying back with my email address (ashaki.justinyak@yahoo.co.uk)Ashaki

5. Billie Kelpin profile image85
      Billie Kelpinposted 10 years agoin reply to this

jonnycomelately, We're on THE exact same page here.  It feels very comforting to know others feel the same. It makes this "here and now" existence less lonely. I'm glad you wrote this comment. Congratulations on "best answer".

6. profile image0
      jonnycomelatelyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Nothing wrong with a healthy cynic, Billie.... thank you.

7. lostohanababy profile image57
      lostohanababyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Written beautifully, lone77star.  This was an awesome read.  Thanks.

8. profile image0
      jonnycomelatelyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I see the "belief" as satisfying the desire for a continuing consciousness after death - not in any way a confirmation of it.

3. Tusitala Tom profile image65
    Tusitala Tomposted 10 years ago

You do not necessarily need to know "...the answer of this great riddle"... to lose your fear of death.   If you have ever been in a situation where you thought you were as good as dead and have accepted that at that time, you will experience what a lot of people have: that once you've truly accepted it the fear goes.

This does not mean that you will lose your fear of the suffering that one might experience as one 'transits' from Planet Earth.  It does mean that this great fear has largely gone from your life.   I have twice had this experience; once when I was drowning in a swimming pool as a little boy who had, at that time, not learned how to swim.   After the panic, the acceptance and...peace.  Yes, peace.   The second time as an Antarctic expeditioner who was in dire trouble alone and twenty miles from the base camp.   Same again, only this time the whole gambit: This isn't happening; anger; why me; pleading; sorrow; acceptance...peace.

I read of a man who, in War Two, was lined up to be shot in a firing squad.  The soldiers raised their rifles.  They were ready to shoot.   The man realized he was as good as dead.   When they called it off for some reason, he realized he'd lost his fear of death.   He accepted he was dead and he lived through it.  The idea of death never frightened him again.

It so happens that I do believe in an afterlife...no...a continuance of what I am, the life itself, not that which contains it.   Like life uses a flower, life uses us.  That is a belief, of course, not a provable fact.   But it is not a belief.  It is a KNOWING.  But how I know is another story in itself and won't fit into this answer.

What you believe is your business.  If you have a belief which you find troublesome, search earnestly to find one with which you can live more comfortably.

I wish you well.

Tusitala Tom, your response is very thoughtful and it will take some time to digest it. What I myself feel is that like the sleep we experience daily, we will experience a final sleep and surely we won't like to be disturbed in such a happy state.

4. mathira profile image76
    mathiraposted 10 years ago

Death is inevitable and you have to face it. I too have been fascinated by the thought of death and that is the reason I wrote the hub 'How to face death'.

mathira, I experience death everyday as sleep and return to life again and this continues  and I am not afraid of it. So one day, a last sleep will take me to whatever way, that is not my concern at all.

5. Steel Engineer profile image80
    Steel Engineerposted 10 years ago

The greatest fear is fear of the unknown. So, if you die, you'll know. Problem solved.
    However, there is an easier, more sure route. There is one who proved he knew what he was talking about when it came to death. He told those who knew him, that if someone killed him, he would return to life in just three days.
    Later, some government soldiers did, in fact, kill him. They tortured him first, publicly humiliated him, and nailed him up on a pole.
    That man was Jesus, a Jew from the town of Nazareth. In fact, many foretold his life and many events of his life. They said he is the one God promised, the ONLY one through whom men (both before and after Jesus' death) can enter Heaven.
    If you want to overcome the fear, OVERCOME DEATH ITSELF.
    God originally created us to have eternal life. When Adam, the first man, began to follow another voice, that promise was lost. However, God gave Jesus, his only son, to be killed and made a sacrifice to forgive the sins of anyone who would acknowledge Jesus as the son of God, the promised Redeemer, and to follow Jesus and put God first in their lives.

Steel Engineer, being alien to Christianity , I assume that when we recognize Jesus as the son of God, we inculcate in us his august being and thus redeem ourselves. In other words we imbibe the true spirit of his holy words. Is my thinking right ?

2. Steel Engineer profile image80
      Steel Engineerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It is possible for a person who desires to know God to receive the Holy Spirit. When that happens, we become more in tune with God, and more like His nature. God established a forgiveness plan -just one- and it is Jesus. Read Bible's book of John.

6. crazymom3 profile image70
    crazymom3posted 10 years ago

I don't know that I've ever been affraid of dying but perhaps it was fear of the unknown. After a recent experience I no longer fear it. The ones who have had near death or similar experiences will attest to the same personal knowledge. Death is not scary or painful. It is an incredible sense of peace and rest. What is painful and scary sometimes is living, waking up and feeling what your body is going through is painful. What is painful is the knowledge that you cannot yet leave this earth because your family still needs you. The idea that there are things still left undone is disruptive but death itself is nothing to be affraid off. One must simply hope the process of dying while you are on your way to dying is not painful  such as people dying in their sleep. Dying lets you simply appreciate the time you are given with the ones you love. It is that just an allotment of time, eventually everyone dies and it is ok. It is only a transition from one phase to another.

So beautifully you described the reasons of fear lurking in our mind. As regards death, there is another view that we face death everyday that we call sleep, a death for a short period where we forget everything what we are as in awakening state.

7. NateB11 profile image88
    NateB11posted 10 years ago

We overcome our fear of death, not through force or act of will, not through thought, but through understanding; understanding our perpetual fear of loss, loss of identity and all those things with which we identify, fear of loss of our so-called "self" and everything it is associated with; and understanding that that fear is rooted in thinking, and it is thinking in the realm of psychological time: What was and what will be, projections of thought and illusions.

NateB 11, you are right and the way you described is the only way to get rid of fear, any kind of fear in our mind. Your words echo my thinking. Thanks a lot .

8. Nadine May profile image70
    Nadine Mayposted 10 years ago

We never die! Yes our body seems to deteriorate, age and die, but that might be such a strong belief, that is why we experience it.
    I see my body as a mode of transport in this earthly reality.
    Like the car I drive, Its the driver that is the real me, not the car....the moment I step out I'm still there! This is a very simplistic viewpoint.
    Our human bodies have been programmed with a fight or flight reactive program in order to survive dangerous situations, but its our EGO minds that, if it takes control, we then become like lunatic drivers! 
    It does not have to be a riddle, not if our perception about death changes.

This story below arrived from a Skype friend this morning!

A friend of mine passed over recently. He was just an ordinary guy. In his last days, when his "normal" friends came to visit, he would tire quickly. When I visited and talked of spiritual, transcendent things that he had never considered in all his life, he would light up like a xmas tree and life would shine in his eyes. He could not tell anyone else but admitted to me that, by being close to death, he had realized things he could never have known otherwise and that when his time came he knew he would go contented. In our talking, the fear left him.

He said that all his life had just been a preparation for the expansion of his awareness in these last few moments and that what he knew now gave meaning to all that came before.

If his other friends came in while we were talking, he would put his finger to his lips and whisper, "Shhh, they are not ready to know yet, they will not understand.".
    I was the first man in his life to give him a darn good hug, look in his eyes and say, "I love you."; it touched him to the core and tears came to his eyes.

His wife later said that it had meant so much to him. I did not know him long but, in the short time, knew him deeply. When he went back home, a part of me went with him and, in so doing, opened more of a channel to higher states. Thanks go to another friend who introduced us, knowing intuitively that we would be good for each other.

The moral of the story is, if you know someone who is close to this wonderful transcendent moment of leaving the lower life behind, share love with them and magic will happen for all.

Glad to be able to his story

Nadine, you are right, we should be prepared for death every moment and for such a preparation, we must strive to gain a true understanding of various aspects of our whole existence. Thanks for  such a good response full of widom and understanding.

9. Dee aka Nonna profile image60
    Dee aka Nonnaposted 10 years ago

Not sure I have completely overcome it, but for me it is knowing that I will be in a "better place".

To admit our ignorance is far better than to be hypnotized by deceptive words. Once we accept it,our journey starts in the right direction as we make sincere and valid efforts. We do not get caught in the different webs of flowery and vain language.

10. PurvisBobbi44 profile image91
    PurvisBobbi44posted 10 years ago

In 2004 on a stormy Christmas Eve, my Rodeo hydroplaned on a dark country highway with other vehicles behind me. Thankfully, I did not hit anyone else, as my Rodeo turned around facing the traffic it started sliding down a high embankment at a fast speed towards a huge tree on my driver’s side.

I knew if I hit the tree at this speed I would I be dead. And, I said: Lord I am yours, please don’t let it hurt. These were my last thoughts. And as if a hand reached down and turned my Rodeo away from the huge tree. My vehicle was stopped by the back of it going over a fallen tree.

I had faced death and accepted it---but I did not want it to hurt. So, I can relate to everyone who might not be afraid of the spiritual transfer of leaving our bodies---I just did not want to feel the pain.

Be extra careful when driving in the rain---it was my fault and thankfully no one else was involved. I was in a hurry to get home to wrapped presents for a Christmas Eve Party. My mode of travel is always in a rush---but I learned my lesson to slow down.

And, the cars behind me did not stop to help. All one could see were my car lights from the bottom of the hill shining through the trees. But a father and son and another guy in a truck stopped. They were my Angels.

PurvisBobbi44, thanks for sharing your experience. You remembered God and God saved you. Once a group of monkeys surrounded me,afraid I too called God silently and instantly they all dispersed. This incident made me a firm believer.

2. profile image0

Believe as you wish... I might react in the same, but such thinking is purely selfish, surely?  The normal result of collision and trauma is pain, but I don't want it to happen to me - God!

11. d.william profile image75
    d.williamposted 10 years ago

No other species of living things on this planet have an innate "fear" of death other than mankind. 
    All other living things simply live their lives until it ends and experience the end without fear of what will  become of them after their demise.
    The fear of death in mankind is directly related to the religious experiences humans subject themselves to.
    The promise of "heaven" or a "blissful existence" after death was designed to assuage the angst of the death experience itself.
    But the other side of that coin is the invention of a place of eternal torment for all kinds of foolishness here on earth. 
    So mankind is left with a dilemma of constantly trying to judge himself for fear of ending up in the place of torment for something we may, or may not, have been found guilty of, by those gods of wrath we created to keep mankind on the path of righteous.
    In so doing, that fear of death is omnipresent in all "thinking" humans and there is no escaping that fact. 
    So to answer your question - we will never be able to successfully overcome the fear of death until death has claimed us.

Thanks for your response with a flavour of great wisdom,dear d.Williams.

2. lone77star profile image74
      lone77starposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Do you mean the look in the eyes of a gazelle when it's being gnawed on by a lion is not one of fear? Their heart pumping faster, adrenaline spiking...

3. profile image0

The gazelle has an innate state of shock and it shuts down when the inevitable end approaches.  We human animals can do the same once we learn to live well and then let go.

4. d.william profile image75
      d.williamposted 10 years agoin reply to this

lonestar: there is quite a difference between ur remarks re the gazelle & humans having a fear of death. the animal has a gut reaction 2 the attack but does not obsess over death otherwise as humans do.

12. profile image0
    Sri Tposted 10 years ago

There is no death, only transition. The energy moves on to something else. The catepillar becomes the butterfly. The butterfly moves on to something else. It should be celebrated, not feared. All the sadness and negative emotions are unnecessary. That comes from friends and family who will miss the person. It has been conditioned since ancient times. They could have chose joy and celebration instead. Then people would look forward to it with joy. When it comes, it comes. It's best to just be in a "let go" and see what happens.

1. peanutroaster profile image64
      peanutroasterposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The caterpillar transforms into a butterfly, the butterfly becomes dirt.

2. profile image0
      Sri Tposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That may be true, but not the life energy. Energy remains energy.

3. Harishprasad profile image72

Sri T, only an enlightened being can think like that you mentioned. Once the difference between body and Self is dawned on a guy, all fear related to this body disappears. However, this realization is scarce. Thanks for such an insightful response.

13. Bryon Ehlmann profile image87
    Bryon Ehlmannposted 10 years ago

One thing that should allay the fear of death for many people--especially those who find it hard to believe in a supernatural afterlife--is a strong belief that with death they will NOT experience mere nothingness.  Such a belief is now made possible by the "Theory of a Natural Afterlife."  This theory posits that at death one may very likely be forever left in a very blissful, perhaps heaven-like, moment.  Our ability to dream, the science related to near-death experiences, and our unconscious death all support to this real possibility.  For more on this, do an internet search on "natural afterlife."

1. profile image0

"....one may very likely be forever left in a very blissful, perhaps heaven-like, moment. ...."   how boring!   Have you ever considered what life would be without the challenges, the successes and failures?  These are what MAKE life heaven.

2. Bryon Ehlmann profile image87
      Bryon Ehlmannposted 10 years agoin reply to this

To jonnycomelately:
      You cannot get bored in a MOMENT.  You can, however, can bored in a traditional heaven running on human-like time without challenges, successes, and failure.  You obviously did not read any of the articles on the natural afterlife

3. profile image0

With respect to you and your beliefs, Bryon, no thanks.  That idea of "afterlife" does not come into my needs or my thinking at this time.  I prefer to concentrate on the Here and Now.

4. Harishprasad profile image72

Jonnycomelately has raised a valid query as to why are  we so mad after attaining a permanent blissful state ? Why don't we accept or aspire for a mixed life consisting of sadness and pleasure ? Isn't it a kind of divine escape ?

14. lone77star profile image74
    lone77starposted 10 years ago

By knowing that you're not that Homo sapiens body you're wearing.

Getting out of your body and doing a walkabout with full visual ability and full continuity of consciousness in spirit, will have a profound effect on your concept of who you really are.

Contrary to JohnnyComeLately's take on believers, there are many who laugh at death because they know with a solid certainty that they are not their temporary shell. Julius Caesar remarked about the Celts and their belief in reincarnation:

'They [Druids/Celts] wish to inculcate this as one of their leading tenets, that souls do not become extinct, but pass after death from one body to another, and they think that men by this tenet are in a great degree excited to valor, the fear of death being disregarded.'
    Julius Caesar's War Commentaries, De bello gallico (Gallic Wars), 6.14 (translated W.A. McDevitte and W.S. Bohn)

Of course, belief doesn't make something true. But when I've been outside my body and it didn't take drugs, surgery or trauma to facilitate this, the reality is quite startling. The goal, now, is to reawaken the true spiritual self so that I can do this at-will. I call that freedom. Jesus called it being reborn. Buddha called it Enlightenment.

Again, borrowed words are nothing but deception, lone 77star, you mentioned about going outside of our bodies, just be honest please, have you experienced such an state yourself ? If yes, kindly tell about that to us please.

15. The Examiner-1 profile image60
    The Examiner-1posted 10 years ago

Pass away and get buried in the ground. Once this happens we will no longer think about it.

So TRUE, we are dealing with the question being alive.Post death is just out of our reach but man is a terrible being and want to fathom the most impossible and the most abstract aspect affecting his existence.

2. The Examiner-1 profile image60
      The Examiner-1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

The question does not state that.

3. profile image0

Harish you  used the term "terrible"  - does that not mean "of the earth?"  Then you say "....want to fathom...." which might translate : "We are all at sea here on Mother Earth!"
      Only joking!♥

Jonnycomelately,your insight is awesome,essence you extracted is very TRUE.Thanks for comment.

16. peanutroaster profile image64
    peanutroasterposted 10 years ago

Fear of death keeps us safe.  Its part of any living being.  A deer runs from danger etc.

Other fears surrounding death are more worry about what will happen to people left behind, will they survive without you.

Trust me if you live long enough and experience long term sickness, death will be a relief. 

The thing that should keep one up at night is the idea that one would live forever in an afterlife.  Tell me that wouldn't get old after a few hundred years.

Like jonnycomelately says, focus on the now instead of the unknown tomorrow.  You'll be dead so you won't have to worry about it.

Make sure your life insurance policy is up to date and your affairs are in order and then start living instead of waiting to die.

Peanutroaster , words are just like consolation and it does not eradicate fear from our minds the least. When the skin  burns if touched with fire, burning gives pain but by merely saying that do not think about burning, pain does not go away.

17. Crissylite profile image75
    Crissyliteposted 10 years ago

Fear of death is most often connected to the fear of the unknown... not knowing what is going to happen to you or your love ones and not knowing how a death will impact the lives of the family and friends still living. I personally believe that perfect Love cast out fear...not just fear of death, but fear period.

Very true words indeed ! Thank you very much,Crissylite.

18. Silverspeeder profile image60
    Silverspeederposted 10 years ago

No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don't want to die to get there. And yet death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be, because Death is very likely the single best invention of Life. It is Life's change agent. It clears out the old to make way for the new.

Steve Jobs

Death is the great equalizer, should we be afraid of equality?

Silverspeeder

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

Buddha

Silverspeeder , it is not the thoughts of others that are going to be of any help to us to overcome fear of death but our very own insight to find the real clue to solve this puzzle with our own efforts. Have you , my dear, found out such ?

2. Silverspeeder profile image60
      Silverspeederposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I have no fear of the inevitability of death because I enjoy my life so much. I do not believe in heaven and understand that my life is just a small part of the infinite cycle.. Why should I fear something that I will never have control over?

From your words, it is apparent that you have thrown the thought of fear of death out of windows of  your mind and shut the doors once and for all. I admire your perfection that you have achieved it successfully. Thanks for comment.

19. Caleb Deloverges profile image60
    Caleb Delovergesposted 10 years ago

why do we fear death ? for what ? death came for us in time, all we have to do is have faith in God, do anything that you want to do but, make sure that no one can ever hurt, then what if you know you were be kill tomorrow? or next week? hmm i think you don't have to be afraid if you make that trouble? no matter what happens before the day that you will die don't forget God. yah there is a lot of God but, in your mind you have only one God.

What all I gather from your answer that one must be absorbed in God and free from all fears. Thanks for your response,Caleb Deloverges.

20. C.V.Rajan profile image59
    C.V.Rajanposted 10 years ago

Don't worry too much about it. Once it happens, then you won't have any fear afterwards!

1. The Examiner-1 profile image60
      The Examiner-1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Maybe I worded it wrong but that is basically what I meant too!

You have a valid view and if one is able to ingrain such an firm outlook in his/her mind, then there arises no fear. Just like any other emotion, fear is generated by the mind and it can be destroyed by the mind itself through real knowledge only.

21. humahistory profile image73
    humahistoryposted 10 years ago

Before my conception I was not alive, for some 4.5 billion years (and more, if we go back to the beginning of the Universe). I had no knowledge of what I was not.
    Now I am something that can think, and feel.
    When I die, I shall return to that previous state, originally changed by an act of luck.
    My luck will have run out. My essence will return to whence it came.
    I do not fear this. It will just be a shame that what I have learnt, also will return to whence it came. What a waste!
    BTW - I have been dead, (due to diabetic issues, coma, and resuscitation) and can honestly say that state holds no fear for me in the future.

Just be truthful ,humahistory. Do you think that we will not gasp for life and fear the end of life approaching so fast in the last moments of our lives ?

2. humahistory profile image73
      humahistoryposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Harishprasad, you may gasp for life and fear the end approaching but, truthfully, I do not. I have lived a full and interesting life. I have completed my reason for life - having generated two children, who have generated the next generation, X 3.

3. profile image0

Harishprasad , with great respect, is not that fear the very real reason for our disjointed life, world-wide?  Fear of death and, generally, fear of the future, drives us "nuts."

Humahistory , with  utmost respect to you and the wisdom reflected in  your words, there is no reason for me to doubt your perfection. My comment was just for the sake of seeking knowledge. Wish you a long and glorious life.

22. adithgeorge profile image69
    adithgeorgeposted 10 years ago

Get rid of those thoughts and live and enjoy your life to the fullest.Life is a precious gift from god.Try to be spiritually and mentally strong and don't waste life in a bad manner.

Yes, very sane suggestion. Thanks for your kind response.

23. rohanfelix profile image80
    rohanfelixposted 10 years ago

Recognize that God is the all powerful and leave matters in his hands... When you realize that you are weak and God is powerful, the fear of death will be overcome.

rohanfelix, you are right, Sri Krishna  says in Geeta that one of the ways to know him to perform all actions in His name only and this way a  person attains an immense peace in his /her life. Thank you very much for reminding such a beautiful verse.

24. lupine profile image66
    lupineposted 10 years ago

You must realize that when you dwell on the fear of death, you are not living to your full potential. You are depriving yourself, and others in your life of great moments and memories. You must have your reasons for asking this question, but try to overcome this burden of thinking and fear. Live for today!

lupine, I respect your wisdom  and really think that we all should have such an approach to lead our lives. Thanks for such an godly advice.

2. lupine profile image66
      lupineposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you very much, Harishprasad, for your gracious comment. I hope this has made a difference for you, and your outlook on life. Live, Love, Laugh!

25. profile image52
    angeluchihaposted 10 years ago

Nice question! I really appreciate it! If you want to overcome fear of death then just do good, think good and help others! If you do this then you know that you are a good person and you'll go to heaven then you won't be afraid to death cause you know you'll go to heaven that's it!

angeluchiha, I appreciate your outlook that by doing good, one can rid of the fear of death lurking in the mind. It means a good person looks good in everything/everyone, even in death. Great! I love your philosophy, a very simple one. Thanks a lot.

26. Lizheng profile image39
    Lizhengposted 10 years ago

No one could live forever! We all will die one day. Therefore, there is no need to worry about death. We cannot predict when we are going to die, but we will enjoy life if we try our best to complete anything. No matter the result is bad or good as long as we try. We all need to set goals for our lives so that we don't have time to worry about death. Enjoy what you have, my friends.

Lizheng, I appreciate your outlook that  people should concentrate on living rather than worrying about death. Wish the people spend their life in such a way yet never thinking about this aspect of existence. Alas ! This is not true, people still rue

27. Lex Osburn profile image59
    Lex Osburnposted 10 years ago

You know, a friend once told me a famous...(writer possibly?) was took a large amount of hallucinogenic mushrooms, sat in a black room, in complete silence.

Tripping outrageously he believed he experienced his own death and a whooole lot more and said that afterwards he no longer feared death.

Give it a go?

1. lupine profile image66
      lupineposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Sounds terrible!

Lex Osburn, if we can rid off fear .of death once and for all in such a bizarre way, you must demonstrate it before a gathering of scientific as well as religious community for a thorough research and revealing the truth to the whole humanity. Thanks

28. ajaychanchal profile image60
    ajaychanchalposted 10 years ago

Simply live your life fully and keep yourself busy. Make a goal or dream that you want to achieve and full fill and put all your energy to achieve this. If you do this I am damn sure that you will not even think about the death.

If you still fear of death, then you must consult a good Psychiatrist. smile

Thanks

ajaychanchal, thanks for your response but I am not sure whether avoiding something is a better way to get rid of that. We cannot remain busy all the time, man. By the way ,there is no remedy for spiritual question with a psychiatrist, do you agree ?

2. ajaychanchal profile image60
      ajaychanchalposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Then what if you can't avoid the thought of death then die today itself, it will be the only remedy to free you from this fear.
      You are too obsessive of death fear. Only Psychiatrist can help you or die today itself. No one else can help you friend.

ajaychanchal, who can be sure of who is going to die when ? It is a wonder everyone see other people die but never think about his own death. All I can say that your comment is blunt and having a poignant truth. Thanks.

4. ajaychanchal profile image60
      ajaychanchalposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I know I am going to die some day in future, but still i am enjoying each and every day of life with positive thinking and hope.
      I will still suggest to consult a good Psychiatrist. Otherwise no one can help you, only god can remove your fear now.

5. Harishprasad profile image72

ajaychanchal, asking question and having diseases are two different things. If I ask a question about poison, it doesn't mean that I will drink it also. A guy can ask any question , do you agree ?

29. profile image51
    ashyakposted 10 years ago

A true friend lights up an entire lifetime.be my best friend by replying back with my email address (ashaki.justinyak@yahoo.co.uk)Ashaki

It is very kind of you that you gave such a nice response. You are right that a true friend is a gem. I wish you all happiness and success in life. Enjoy the wonderful stuff spread in Hub pages. Thank you very much.

30. profile image0
    Corolla98posted 10 years ago

When you die you don't feel anything or go places. Death is the same process as not being born yet.  If I had the opportunity to go some where positive, I would no longer live here.

Coralla98, what I gather from the stuff spread here including your comment is that death can occur at any point unknown to us and that is why we must make the best of all whatever comes to us meanwhile and make tbest efforts to gain understanding.

31. lindajot profile image66
    lindajotposted 10 years ago

I have lost so many family and friends, and have had such a very distinct fear of anyone close to me dying that I have distanced myself from becoming close to another.  I, myself came very close to dying, and for whatever reason came to a place where it really didn't matter what happened next, now or later, or whether the relationships I have had, end any certain way. 
    It is an experience every day, good or bad, and each person in my life is here now to share that time with me, and me with them.
    We lost two special friends just this last month.  We cried, and remembered, and know those where times to treasure, and there will be more.  All things are just a wrinkle in this time.

lindajot, yours is the comment that describes truly the mental state and turmoil which one goes through to see one's dearest fellows depart suddenly. We should accept this phenomenon as a law of nature only and live our life peacefully. Thanks, dear.

32. profile image0
    swilliamsposted 10 years ago

According to research the fear of death often involves "A set change that cannot be corrected or resolved." This sense of reality creates fear." read more

swilliams, I am really grateful for your such a beautiful and lovely response especially where you have touched upon spreading love in order to overcome fear. In simple words, you have said it all. Thank you very much.

33. goodnews11 profile image86
    goodnews11posted 10 years ago

One can overcome the fear of death if he live for others and not for himself.

goodnews11, in one sentence you have said it all. when we give importance to the things beyond our being, we rise above the sufferings related to our physical existence. Thanks for such a valid and beautiful response. God bless you, my friend.

34. deepthiveera profile image63
    deepthiveeraposted 10 years ago

Fear of death can be overcome by the spiritual beliefs. Still it's a mysterious thing and no man could come to a clear conclusion about the events after death. Super nature and God only know about our position after the end of human life.

deepthiveera, you are right, that is why enlightened persons are not afraid of destruction of this physical structure and are truly convinced of an entity known as Atma or Self which is beyond birth and death. They willingly give up their bodies.

35. profile image0
    cjaroszposted 10 years ago

Well my answer is to understand, that there is no way to avoid it. Just face it. There is nothing you can do to stop it.

Yes, you are very near to the truth. Thanks for your nice reponse.

36. Michael Jon profile image60
    Michael Jonposted 10 years ago

"When we die, we die finally and completely forever. The idea we can somehow survive death is a myth." A quote from William Provine (a renowned atheist), that's a scary thought, scary enough  to cause a fear of death in most people. Philosophical naturalists like Carl Sagan have convinced millions that we are merely material beings living in a material world. This is a false belief. There is life after life. Human beings have a spirit, soul and a body.
    Why do I say this, you ask? Because, if we were merely in a material world, reason itself is reduced to a conditioned reflex, love for example would be rendered meaningless, rather than being an act of the will.
    Logically thinking, the mind or soul is different from the brain. The brain is physical, however the mind is nonphysical. A neurosurgeon can observe a biological process firing in a brain but could never observe images of the mind.
    The most persuasive argument for life after life starts with the resurrection of Jesus Christ. The best minds of ancient and modern times have demonstrated beyond any doubt that Christ's physical trauma was fatal, his tomb was found empty and his followers experienced Christ's tangible post-resurrection appearances by which they were radically transformed. Their transformation lead them to overcome the fear of death. Many came face to face with death for professing their faith, yet they continued to do so unto death.
    So, the best if not the only way to overcome the fear of death is to receive  Jesus Christ into your heart and his teachings. By doing so, you'll discover that death has lost its sting.

1. profile image0

Michael Jon, when are you going to admit that what you believe is your responsibility and your right, but it is ONLY belief, NOT FACT which you can convey to others.   All of what you have written is ONLY belief.

Michael Jon, I am really indebted to you for getting such an elaborated and thoughtful response. It feels nice that you have first taken the stand taken by the atheists and then proceeded with your own logic. No doubt, faith eradicates fear.

3. profile image0

I full respect your right to that view and that faith.  But, if you were bending down with your eyes closed, would your faith prevent a billy goat from butting you up the butt?

4. Michael Jon profile image60
      Michael Jonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You say "only" belief but I say belief is "only" required. It is written... "Believe in your heart that Christ Jesus suffered, died and rose from the dead and ye will be saved."
      The only requirement for eternal life is belief. He does the work.

37. Marina7 profile image61
    Marina7posted 10 years ago

I know the website of the Living Church of God has great articles about this topic at www.lcg.org. I hope this helps.

Thanks a lot, my friend,Marina7. I will definitely go through all such stuff as given in the said website. Wish you all happiness and love.

38. Penny G profile image62
    Penny Gposted 9 years ago

If you are sure of where you are going, and have done what you need to get there, you would be jumping for joy!

Harishprasadposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Wish everyone got that joy ! Penny G , thanks for your response.

39. auspicious12day profile image60
    auspicious12dayposted 9 years ago

By dying daily you appreciate living.  Physical death is part of this earthy life.
    Fear of not knowing how or when keeps us anxious. Knowing you will not live forever, here, on earth will prepare you for dying daily.  it is said animals "live in the moment" There is some wisdom in that thought.

So insightful response is this that I am convinced of your great wisdom and knowledge. This is, in fact, a potent way. Thanks auspicious12day.

40. lostohanababy profile image57
    lostohanababyposted 9 years ago

Until God is ready and gives you your final last breath.  The 'fear' of dying, will never end.  For me, I've had several incidents, close encounter with death on separate occasions, from childhood until now.  Every one of those times, the fear came over me..As Humans, we enjoy and prefer life.  Hope you and others feel that way too.

I love your answer, lostohanababy. I salute your wisdom and insight.

41. connorj profile image69
    connorjposted 9 years ago

I can only speak from my comatose experience. It indeed removed my fear of dying/passing-on. Thus you ask, "how can we overcome fear of death once and for all?" Simply survive a comatose state that lasts at minimum one month.

Harishprasadposted 8 years agoin reply to this

John, you faced a  tough phase of life  and came out of it. Your life  experience made you fearless. Thanks for putting up comments.

42. profile image52
    Melanie Altheaposted 9 years ago

Get saved. For you must be born-again. Accept Jesus into your heart and confess Him with your mouth. Believe that HE IS and develop a relationship with the living God and you will no longer fear death because you will know exactly where you are going when you die.

1. profile image0
      jonnycomelatelyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Glib answer, given by a christian-believing person, applied to everyone.....
      As a personal statement, about yourself, Melanie, that is fine....but not applicable to everyone.
      From an atheist thinker.

2. profile image52
      Melanie Altheaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

My answer was NOT glib, Johnny and yes I'm a Christian but this answer applies to everyone who will believe. I respect your right to be atheist, please do the same for me.

3. profile image0

I do respect it, Melanie.   But your presumption is that you are right and I am wrong, exclusively.  Please don't presume that I, or any atheist, needs to be converted.  I am not trying to convert you.

4. profile image52
      Melanie Altheaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Far be it from me to presume anything. I was under the impression that we could share our views and thoughts about the question that was asked. Not trying to convert you, just stating  my views.  You are entitled to believe anything that you want.

5. profile image0

Yes, Melanie, that is fair enough.... sharing views.  I have no problem with that.  But the way you expressed those views was as a declaration, adamant, not simply sharing, but commanding. Not just your own, but should be  the views of others?

43. passionatelearnr profile image86
    passionatelearnrposted 8 years ago

why you are afraid of death?.Far worse things can happen to you.
    I'm not afraid of death.i'm afraid of......

Harishprasadposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Welcome to Hub Pages, passionatelearnr ! Thanks for comments. I just asked a question and got so many diverse, thoughtful and profound answers. It's been a great learning experience, my friend.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)