Is Sachin worthy of the 'Bharat Ratna'?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (19 posts)
  1. Prakash RnP profile image40
    Prakash RnPposted 10 years ago

Is Sachin worthy of the 'Bharat Ratna'?

The Govt of India recently awarded the 'Bharat Ratna' (the highest Indian national award) to the former cricket legend Mr Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar. I'm not happy with this because I've heard Sachin owns over forty deluxe cars. In a country with around 90% rural population without food security* such squandermaniac luxury! I don't think such things become a Bharat Ratna. What's your view? *[National Advisory Council's report]

2. sunilkunnoth2012 profile image60
    sunilkunnoth2012posted 10 years ago

He deserves it 100%.  He is such a brilliant sport person and the most successful one too. Owning so much of cars or other material benefits has nothing to do with his Bharat Ratna.  He worked hard for 24 years for the country from the age of 16 to 40 and brought the nation many Cups/medals and cheerful moments.  All the successful sport personalities in the world are so rich and they have so much of luxuries with them. Sachin is no exception. But he as an individual too showed as dignity and was totally a gentleman.  The raising of this question itself is a sort of insult to him. Like millions of other Indians I too support and share the pleasure on his new achievement, the greatest honour-Bharat Ratna.

Prakash RnPposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Sachin 'worked hard' for success in his career.'Cups/medals' are his personal property. Sachin hasn't found a life-saving drug or technique. Nor has he solved any problem facing Indians or the humanity.An MD or MS does a nobler job than a sportsman.

2. sunilkunnoth2012 profile image60
      sunilkunnoth2012posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Shame! Shame When the whole world praises him you an Indian criticize him and ignores his brilliant achievements. Indian won a lot of cup just because of his stunning performance. And you say this is his personal property. I pity upon you sir.

3. Prakash RnP profile image40

I neither ignore nor belittle Sachin's talent or achievements. I just want to point to his squandermaniac luxury of cars, which, I must say, is unbecoming of a BHARAT RATNA. Isn't it true that an MD or MS does far nobler jobs than a sportsperson?

4. arunsiv profile image59
      arunsivposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Sir, are you trying to prove that sports persons are always one step behind a MD or MS?Sir, the best thing you can do to a country, I believe, is to serve and fight for that country.Opposing your views I would say sportspersons and soldiers dominate.

5. Prakash RnP profile image40

I didn't say who dominate, and who don't. I just want to say an unknown person such as a doctor, a nurse, or a school teacher does far nobler jobs than sportspersons.

6. arunsiv profile image59

Sir,if that's your point, then why should Sachin alone be targeted? There are plenty other laureates as well who deserved the title to a lesser degree compared to "an MD or MS who does a nobler job" than them.Why only Sachin sir??!

3. cam8510 profile image91
    cam8510posted 10 years ago

Prakash RnP, As an American completely preoccupied with "Obamacare" I have to admit to knowing nothing about Sachin Tendulkar or the Bharat Ratna award.  So I Googled it.  It is unfortunate for Sachin and for the people of India that this has become a political issue.  On one hand, it would be an enormous disappointment to the man if the award were taken back.  On the other hand, the integrity of the coming elections is at stake.  I sincerely hope there is a way for this to be handled that will be acceptable to those on either side of the issue.

4. rudra007 profile image82
    rudra007posted 10 years ago

Sir Sachin is not responsible for the poor conditions of people here but he is certainly responsible for making us feel proud Indians and his unforgetable contribution to cricket. Whenever he played cricket it is like fighting for the nation. System and politicians are responslble for not decreasing the poverty percentage. They spend crores on elections and that too from what we pay as income tax and as a result what people get are fake promises.
    Sachin did not came into cricket for money but cricket in India brings money along with fame.....specially after IPL. And i am sure Sachin must be doing many charities for the needy.
    Thanks for a very good question.

I didn't say Sachin was to blame for the poor circumstances of any persons. I must say callous squandermania is unbefitting to the BHARAT RATNA.

5. FatFreddysCat profile image95
    FatFreddysCatposted 10 years ago

I'm not familiar with this particular person (as I'm not from India) but it doesn't sound any different than a professional athlete or movie star here in the U.S. being paid insane amounts of money while the average Joe Schmoe with a crappy job is struggling to scrape by.
    These inequities have always been around. It may not be fair, but it's the way of the world.

6. Cinsix profile image61
    Cinsixposted 10 years ago

Having never experienced what it is to live in India, culturally I will most probably miss the mark. In the states we do have a similar situation, the ever growing division between the very well off and those who go without. At the same time, we seem to uplift certain  individuals over other's, handing them over more money, praise, and what-not. In a way, we do this to ourselves.

I would suggest that no one needs more than a couple of well running vehicles per household, at the very most. 40 is a bit peculiar. However, I am a Minimalist, so having ten pair of new shoes seems a bit obscene. No one should ever be required to go without, but sometime's our Human nature leans toward pulling in everything we see. It has to be controlled like an addiction.

The Government awarding Mr. Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar with the highest degree of national service, at this point, I can only assume it has to do with income. Since this honor was changed to include sportpersons during 2011, it's likely that they are giving recognition based on his bringing more wealth to the Nation of India. This is naturally, very important to any government. It can be 'very' offensive when this occurs. I know.

7. Storytellersrus profile image66
    Storytellersrusposted 10 years ago

Prakash RnP, in the interests of not ignoring your question- I remember your sense last time that Americans had little interest in your question- I looked up who Sachin was and also what this meant.  I found this statement, which I found interesting:

"To my shock and dismay, the Government of India has announced Bharat Ratna for Sachin Tendulkar in haste to gain the goodwill of voters and to influence the voters in the elections to vote for the ruling Indian National Congress Party."

If such a statement is true, well, it seems politics as usual to me.  I have given up on awards and honors.  The people who seem to most deserve them in my country are rarely in the public eye.  Either they are too humble or too busy or simply not important enough for newspapers.

I find that politics influences which books are awarded National Book Awards even on the Young Adult level.  Politics has shaped the canon of books for the Christian Bible, where boundaries are placed to influence elections, whether or not our food and medicine is tainted with toxins.  I guess I have become cynical but, this too will pass,

1. sunilkunnoth2012 profile image60
      sunilkunnoth2012posted 10 years agoin reply to this

It has nothing to do with politics. The Government took this decision at a right time. When Sachin played his last inning, the whole India was behind him. They loved him, prayed for him and respected him and Sachin played well and Govt. honored him.

2. Prakash RnP profile image40

Hi Story, I didn't say Americans had little interest in my questions. I only pointed out that Americans' response to my query about the their view of healthy and meaningful living didn't match up to my expectation. Thanks for your reply to my query.

8. arunsiv profile image59
    arunsivposted 10 years ago

Hi sir, with due respect let me reply from point of view.Pardon me if it sounds arrogant.I never mean it.But what's the issue if he has over forty luxury cars?It's his craze, so he bought and may buy luxury cars.I love buying costly sports shoes so I wish to buy many though I currently am not that rich to make it a reality.So if I buy many such costly shoes will I be ineligible to gain Bharat Ratna forever???He is not buying cars with the money of the poor.And also, he donates a huge amount each month to the needy and orphans.He abstained from acting in ads featuring tobacco and such stuff because he never wanted to encourage his fans to use it despite being offered stupendous figures.Yes, there is a large population without adequate food and security and shelter.But what has that to do with Sachin's car craze and how can it be spotted a reason for making him ineligible for Bharat Ratna?It's not because of Sachin that there emerged BPL population.It's the business of the government.They are the ones to take care of it.And if that is to be a reason why Sachin should be denied Bharat Ratna, then how would any other Indian including CNR Rao who was honoured with the same title the same day, be eligible for that?What better service did they do to the poor generation, to raise their standards of living, that a man having over 40 luxury cars forgot to do??? I hate such jealous critics.Sachin is the best choice for the title I would say, not because he is a classy player but because the way he is, despite having these many so-called luxury cars, plenty other luxuries, fame and fans.He is the best role model that a person of any country can have in this generation and the best Ambassador of our Bharat.Simplicity gets rewarded sooner or later!

I'm not opposed to Sachin's craze for cars or your craze for shoes. Sachin is free to squander his money the way he pleases. I just want to say his squandermania of cars is unbefitting for a Bharat Ratna.

2. arunsiv profile image59

Sir, let him own as many cars as he wish as long as he has sufficient money for it in his own pocket.If he hadn't bought, then some others would have bought it.Nobel peace prize winner Abraham Lincoln used to smoke marijuana,still he is praised na?!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)