jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Do we glorify sports figures into thinking. they can do anything, such as spousa

1. brakel2 profile image80
    brakel2posted 3 years ago

Do we glorify sports figures into thinking. they can do anything, such as spousal and child abuse?

What is happening in life and in sports to create so much violence?  Maybe it is just publicized more these days.

2. dashingscorpio profile image86
    dashingscorpioposted 3 years ago

No I don't think we "glorify" sports figures or celebrities into thinking they can do anything. I do believe many people "compartmentalize" or focus primarily on what that individual does for a living rather than their varied shortcomings as human being.
    Most the bad things famous get caught doing they were doing those things when they weren't famous. Money and fame usually gives one legal defense advantages. ( O.J. Simpson, Robert Blake, Michael Jackson, and Oscar Pistorius) easily come to mind. If any of them were earning $9 per hour as school janitor they would have gone to prison.
    Fame and money affords these people more "second chances" than the average citizen would ever get. Michael Vick did go to prison for hosting dog fights. When he got out he rejoined the NFL and later signed a multi-million dollar deal.
    Actor Robert Downey Jr. went to jail several times for drug use and was in and out of rehab countless times. Last year he earned $75 Million for his work in 'Iron Man 3'. Most of could not have even gotten our job back let alone be put in a position to be financially better off than when we started!
    Nevertheless it's not the "idolization" that causes them to break laws. It's the reason why they're usually given second chances!

3. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 3 years ago

I do think part of it is that we just see more about it on the news. I'm sure the same things happened in the past (maybe to a lesser degree or not as often), but the news didn't want to print that stuff. Now everything is fair game. What makes me angry is that it seems celebrities and professional athletes get a slap on the wrist when they abuse someone when a "normal" person like you or I would end up in jail.

1. dashingscorpio profile image86
      dashingscorpioposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Excellent point! Today everything is "fair game". If JFK had been in the White House in today's era doing all the things he allegedly did he would have been impeached or forced to resign! I'm sure social media, and the likes of TMZ exposes more.