jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Is watching sports a waste of time?

1. Matt M. profile image59
    Matt M.posted 5 years ago

Is watching sports a waste of time?

2. atechwiz profile image72
    atechwizposted 5 years ago

Like all things in life, it depends.  I think it is possible to do anything to the point of excess that it becomes a waste of time.  If anyone said that it was a waste of time then I don't see how you could say that watching anything on television (provided we are not talking about educational programming) is not just as big a waste of time.  Many people including myself enjoy watching sports and for me it is a way to relax at the end of the day or on the weekends.  It helps me to unwind.

3. First Colony profile image60
    First Colonyposted 5 years ago

I agree that it is a great way to unwind, and I much prefer sports over the other things that are out there.  But, I will say that it is easy to get obsessed.  I had NFL Season tickets a few years ago, and I had to give them up because of the cost and time involved. 
    I didn't think I was obsessed until one Saturday when I realized that I was watching one game on TV, another game on my iPad, and following scores on my iPhone.  At that point, I realized it was time to turn everything off and go outside!

4. Alphadogg16 profile image91
    Alphadogg16posted 5 years ago

I agree with with Atechwiz, too much of anything can be bad

5. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image85
    BLACKANDGOLDJACKposted 5 years ago

Watching in person is better, of course. I have been to hundreds of high school basketball and soccer games in the past several years, and now my daughter is playing soccer in college.

I'm watching the pre-game show for Monday Night Football right now. They just did a segment on the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders. VERY interesting.

Most people watch or listen to something on a regular basis. If not sports, a certain type of music or political commentary or reality shows. I'm not sure one is any more of a waste of time than another. Whatever rocks your boat, as long as such diversions don't lead to neglecting real life responsibilities.

6. ocbill profile image60
    ocbillposted 5 years ago

Well, watching ALL teams play can be a waste. I only pay attention to my favorites and even then I don't watch them all the time.  I have found more constructive things to do and even multi-task.

7. mikejhca profile image92
    mikejhcaposted 5 years ago

Watching sports is a form of entertainment.  You could say most forms of entertainment are a waste of time because the person does not accomplish anything.  Personally I started exercising while I watch TV so watching TV is not a waste of time.  I accomplish something.  When I play games I also like to accomplish something.  That is why I like ones the exercise my mind or body.

In my opinion just sitting around and watching something for a long time is a big waste of time.  However you could accomplish something while watching sports.  You could be inspired to play sports or exercise.  A few people have gotten rich from watching sports.  For example a person watched a boxing match, wrote a boxing movie, sold it, starred in it, and became a rich actor.  It is also not a waste of time if you are watching kids playing sports.

Most of the adults I know that watch sports on TV don't play sports but they spend a lot of time sitting around doing next to nothing.

working