Sickening Tostito Bowl

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Could ESPN commentator Brent Musberger be any more blatant in his favoritism? I guess the PAC10 doesn't warrant his interest -- even though Oregon and Stanford and Fresno State made it to bowl games. But I guess they don't count...

Why were the refs taking direction from the Auburn coach?
    Could they really be that biased?

Admittedly, Oregon was the David in this faceoff.
    When you are the Goliath you should not have to play dirty -- and get away with it.
    Was there a single call in Oregon's favor?
    And not for anything, but why is Auburn even allowed to play in a bowl game when their QB is being investigated by the NCAA for taking bribes?

Well, good for Oregon for getting to a tie. The game should have gone into overtime (and if they'd lost then it would have been ok). Instead, the officials handed the game to Auburn.
    Whatever.

1. Randy Godwin profile image59
      Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, MM!  But Oregon did good to be as close as they were.  Of course, I am biased because the SEC is the favored conference in the deep south.  If Cam hadn't fumbled the ball late in the fourth quarter Oregon would have never tied it up.

But it was a good championship game for a change.  Face it, the SEC rules! smile

1. profile image60
        logic,commonsenseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Or just buys the rules?smile
        Can't stand Chizek, but do believe that Cam should go #1 in the draft.  He is an awesome talent!  Fairly isn't too bad either.  The worst problem is most Heisman winners are a bust and most of the top defensive picks in the draft rarely turn out.  These 2 could be the exception, they are that good.  Newton seems to have the right attitude so far and could go a lot farther than Tebow.
        Not a Pac 10 or Auburn fan but these 2 should be the top 2 at the end of it all.  Don't think TCU could have beat either.  Course we'll never know will we? smile

1. esornoso profile image60
          esornosoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Seriously, Cam and Mr.Dirty top two? You're need to get out and go on vacation out of your SEC mindset.

Oh!  A USC fan criticizing SEC players? I am shocked!! lol

2. profile image52
        MichiganManposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hopefully the NCAA does the right thing and declares Scam ineligible and strips Auburn of the SEC and national title.  We all know the SEC practices the pay to play option!

Tsk tsk tsk!  "We"?  Who the hell is "We"?

2. tobey100 profile image60
      tobey100posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Agreed Mom.  At one point in the second half an Oregon player was down on the field and Musberger spent the next four minutes talking about how Newton looked like he might be a little shook up.  Just alittle commentary on my part....Herbstreet needs to go back to working at MacDonalds and Musberger's starting to look like the thumb of an old catcher's mitt.

1. profile image52

First of all it's McDonalds not MacDonals, and Kirk Herbstriet, not Herbstreet.  Kirk is a very good college football analysist, and it is hard for me to admit to that since he went to Ohio State.  Just wanted to correct you, that's it.

2. Mighty Mom profile image77

I agree Oregon did very well to get as close as they did and they were definitely out of their league.
    The SEC may rule, but is it through dirty playing or true talent?
    Or is it just Auburn?

Sorry again, MM.  I didn't see any dirty play.  The touchdown by Auburn was overruled by the officials at the end of the game, so one could say the refs favored Oregon in that one.  Actually, Oregon did better than I expected them to do since their schedule was so easy. 

This is why the SEC is so good.  If an SEC team goes undefeated it is certain they have been tested by the best.  You would have to live in the south to understand.  smile

2. Jim Hunter profile image60
      Jim Hunterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What dirty play are you talking about?

Cam Newton is not being investigated.

3. profile image52

I didn't see any dirty play and yes Scam is still under investigation, with possible sanctions to be handed down to him and Auburn.

3. Mighty Mom profile image77

Sorry about the Cam Newton slur. My husband gave me bad info.
    He's a liberal whiner too.

4. LakeShow T profile image74
    LakeShow Tposted 13 years ago

Well, Cam Newton was being investigated until some people realized it would be more lucrative for everyone involved to have him and Auburn play in the National Championship. The NCAA claimed to have concluded their investigation for now, but it is most likely that Auburn will get stripped of this National title within the next 2-5 years when nobody cares anymore any everyone has made their money. This sort of thing has happened time after time in collegiate sports -- perhaps most notably and recently to USC and Reggie Bush.

5. I am DB Cooper profile image64
    I am DB Cooperposted 13 years ago

I watched the game and I'm not quite sure what you're talking about. Was there a specific play in particular that the refs goofed on? It looked like a fair game to me.

The Cam Newton story certainly is not over. As LakeShow T said, these situations tend to get dealt with years after the fact when fans won't care anymore. If Cam Newton had been ruled ineligible in the middle of this season Auburn would not have gone undefeated and it would have made a real mess of things. Now that everyone has made their money, they can wait a few years and then vacate the national title when nobody cares anymore. They'll use all the evidence they already have, but they'll make it seem like their decision was the result of a long investigation. It's all a charade.

1. profile image57
      C.J. Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sad but true. It's not about following the rules. It's about making money.

6. AskAshlie3433 profile image60
    AskAshlie3433posted 13 years ago

I thought he was more for Oregon, then he was Auburn. You should be proud though. The Ducks never quit and if it wasn't for their turnovers, they would of won easily. I hate Auburn!

7. AskAshlie3433 profile image60
    AskAshlie3433posted 13 years ago

I heard some replays of the game and I do see what you are talking about. I don't know where he went to college at, but he probable has ties to Auburn. Sometimes, we don't think about a commentator, who he likes and who he hates. College rivalry games are heated. All commentators go to college or they are affiliated with a certain college. I think this may be the case. I might be wrong, but I don know, he likes Auburn over Oregon.

8. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 13 years ago

Just saw Cam Newton is going to enter the NFL draft.  After watching the game, I don't think he's ready.  He doesn't see the field well and he holds the ball too long.  On the other hand, he's been a winner and a great athlete.  I think another year of college would really help him improve as a passer.

Interesting that Andrew Luck is staying in college and he's a better pro quarterback in my estimation right now.

1. I am DB Cooper profile image64
      I am DB Cooperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Without a doubt, Luck is taking a big risk by staying in college, but I respect him for staying in school. If he gets injured or has a less-impressive season next year (see what happened to Jake Locker this year, going from projected #1 to possibly a 2nd round pick), it could end up costing him millions.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)