Who do you want Eli Manning, Joe Flacco, or Tony Romo?

Jump to Last Post 1-28 of 28 discussions (44 posts)
  1. Manny2437 profile image68
    Manny2437posted 12 years ago

This guy told me to chill out on my criticism of Joe Flacco. What I criticize is his 77 quarterback rating. Someone says that Flacco is better than both Romo and Eli, I say no way he is better than neither. I think it's close between Romo and Manning I think Romo puts up better numbers but Manning isn't too far off and he takes better care of the football. But I'd take eithetr over Flacco! What are your thoughts, as the people should be what really decide the matter, not those of us who think we knoqw everything!!! Give it to me people.

2. Manny2437 profile image68

I suggest we all refer to the statstics before commenting.

1. 910chris profile image75
      910chrisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree. It seems that this forum has gotten quite heated!!

1. wavegirl22 profile image41
        wavegirl22posted 12 years agoin reply to this

its all good. ..

and I must say quite refreshing to have you around 910chris.

Discussions can get heated. .if we all agreed where would the discussion be!

1. 910chris profile image75
          910chrisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ha, how right you are! I must say, this is a good one. Thank you wavegirl22 for the kind words.

I think all should take a good read of your Hub - I really did enjoy it!

This is the year for the GIANTS to go all the way!!

3. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Well, I guess you have to take success into account. And in that case, then I would have to say Eli Manning is better than both, considering he does have one Super Bowl Ring under his belt, I think.

I don't pay much attention to other teams, if my team isn't doing well. Now, with that said, I'm a Cowboys fan and I'm still not willing to take Romo, simply based on what I've seen from him and the track record of the other two quarterbacks.

4. Manny2437 profile image68

Did you know that Romo has thrown 12 touchdowns and no interceptions the last three games? And good respectable answer, I think I would have to take Eli as well for that same reason. He plays more like a veteran than either. But I just can't take Flacco. My list goes. 1. Rodgers 2. Brady 3. Brees 4. Big Ben 5. Manning 6. Stafford 7. Romo 8. Rivers 9. Ryan 10. Alex Smith thats right then Flacco. I don't think Flacco makes it higher than  in any situation, and even lower had I thrown Peyton in there or even Vick with the things he can do when heathy.

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's three games. I'm still not impressed by him, nor has he shown any sort of flash of brilliance as a quarterback.

I also think that the media and many other sources put too much pressure on the NFL to WIN immediately with regards to the Super Bowl. Romo has been the quarterback for several years now and within the next couple, a Super Bowl would be realistic providing he leads his team properly forward. Otherwise, he doesn't deserve the salary he is being paid.

Then again, I've never approved of his salary to begin with.

2. wavegirl22 profile image41

I can not wait for the Day that Sanchez is on that list of yours.

For he will be. . . one fine day.

smile

1. jcmayer777 profile image64
        jcmayer777posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Personally, I think NY will be looking for a new qb in about 2 years.  I don't see it with Sanchez.

If Rex is still around which I de believe he will  .. Sanchez will be right there next to him for he is a coach that believes this kid has what it takes.

Mark is young and hopefully learning from his mistakes. .  you can all say want you want about him bottom line the kid is clutch. . prone to make mistakes just like the rest of the team.

I am looking forward to the game against the Bills on Sunday .. this is the time that the Jets seem to get their sh8t together . the next few weeks will be pretty telling,

Must say you sound somewhat on the negative side of things.. Aaron is so on his way to being one of the greatest. There is a great article in SI this week about the Pack. You cant help feel that Rodgers is there and every week he is cementing that fact.

Stay tuned.

What is negative about my comment?  True, I don't think Sanchez has "it" but that's just my take.  Rex Ryan stands by all his players, just as a number of coaches do.  He's player's coach.  That's his style and it's been working fine for him and plenty of others over the years.

I assume your comments about Rodgers are directed at my comment down below.  I'm  a huge Aaron Rodgers and Packer fan.  I've always been a Packer fan.  In that post, I specifically mentioned that his short body of work doesn't put him in the all-time great list.  A few years as a starter couldn't possibly put anyone on that list.  I specifically said he's having an all-time great season.  An all time great season, however, just doesn't on its own make you an all-time great qb. Will he go down before it's all said and done as one of the best qb's ever?  Probably.  ASSUMING he doesn't get injured or have a massive drop off.

I don't even have to go beyond the Packers to find a good example....Don Majkowsky.  Over 4,000 yards passing one year (Favre only threw for more yards as a Packer in one season) to benchwarmer.  It happens.  That's jsut the Pack organization.  I didn't even mention any others that were the next big thing that fell from grace like,  Derek Anderson, Steve Deberg, Scott Mitchell,Mark Rypien, Elvis Grbac, Tommy Maddox, Rob Johnson, Steve Buerline,  etc.

5. Manny2437 profile image68

There is no denying Romo's talent though. He puts up numbers just like Brady, Brees, Rodgers and all those guys. He just lacks the same discipline and mental toughness. If he gets over that he's a superstar, do you not agree? Not that Romo is a superstar, but that he has superstar potential, more potential than Flacco in my opinion, which is just that an opinion.

Yes, he has some maturing to do with regards to the league, which is why I said he should be good for a Super Bowl Win in a couple more seasons.
      Yes, he has more learned more than Flacco, but they both have the same potential, to be a good quarterback. It depends solely upon what each learns and how quickly they learn it.

2. wavegirl22 profile image41

Personally I have always liked Romo. But I think he may have missed his boat. He has never had the love of his receivers like a QB like AAron Rodgers does. Leadership is something QB's need and Romo has struggled with that easy basic. Brees is loved, Manning is loved even Big Ben is loved (hard to love that guy) You also need the love of your coach .. .. gotta feel for Romo, can you imagine having to play for Jerry because in Dallas, its all about getting the love from Mr Jones. .. and Not Jason Garrett.

I agree with your list and Alex Smith (a great game manager) can you imagine what a force he would be today,had he had a good coach to take him under his wing and Flacco (pass happy leads to some inconsistency)  just needs a little more time for people to believe he is one elite QB.

From a females point of view both Alex and Joe are hot hot hot.

Now back to Sanchez smile
      Clutch
      Game Manager
      Cute off the charts
      A QB his receivers love
      The greatest coach who believes in him

Oh sorry again I seem to be trying to hijack this thread .. . .

Manny as far as I am concerned you never need to chill out!

6. Manny2437 profile image68

Great input and valid points. When I speak of Flacco I mean today, I'm sur he will improve. Once again on the money you want the guy that has already won the Superbowl. Talent wise, I think Romo is the most dynamic. I would go with Eli as well though, I think he gives your team the best chance to win.

7. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 12 years ago

Well, I think we should also take into account the type of offenses their teams run, as that does make a huge difference.  If you look at the Ravens, they use a run first, pass second offense; which is eerily similar to what the Steelers used to do during Big Ben's earlier years.  In fact, I don't know if you remember how many analysts would say that Big Ben was merely a manager of the game back when he started in the nfl or not, but it wasn't until years later when the Steelers started to run more of a passing style offense that we finally saw how good Big ben really was.

Who's to say that won't happen for Flacco?  Or if the Ravens continue this same type of offense throughout Flacco's career, does that really make him a bad qb?  I don't think so.  After all, John Elway finally won his two superbowls that way, and Troy Aikman won multiple superbowls as well being a manager and sometimes playmaker of the game at qb; while running a run first, pass second offense.  In fact, I honestly don't care what anyone says, as I know most people will think I'm crazy, but I still say that troy aikman SHOULD be in the discussion whenever you talk about the greatest qbs of all time.  However, that's just my opinion. 

Anyway, I think if I had to choose between the three, then I'd have to go with Eli Manning, as he not only has the accomplishments, but he's shown that he can put up the numbers as well whenever his team needs him to.

As for Flacco, I think it's still too early to tell about him, but I think he'll do fine.  He seems like a stand up guy, and I think as time goes on, he'll grow to become a great qb in the nfl.  Unfortunately, it won't be this year...obviously.

As for Romo, I think you bring up a good point about him putting up the numbers, but I think the thing that kills him is that he always chokes in the playoffs whenever his team needs him.  Granted, he's shown signs of greatness in the regular season but until he wins in the postseason, then he'll always get criticized. 

In some ways, Romo reminds me of Donovan McNabb if you stop to think about it.  They're both great qbs when physically healthy, but the reality is that both have shown signs of mental weakness throughout their careers that ultimately costs them in the postseason whenever their teams need them the most.  With McNabb, it's obviously his blandish "yes man" personality that rubs people the wrong way to make them think he's a "kiss a**" or something, as it sometimes causes his own teammates to turn against him quickly when things go downhill INSTEAD of rallying behind him.

In that respect, Romo has no trouble being a leader, as I think all his teammates respect him, but he lacks the mental focus to really ever pull his team through in playoff type situations.  He has the talent, but he lacks the mental toughness.  Kind of a shame too.  I mean looking at the cowboys roster, they're not a bad team, and there's no reason why they shouldn't be one of the favorites for the superbowl like they were last year.  However, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

8. Brent Hale profile image59
    Brent Haleposted 12 years ago

Romo is better than Manning and Flacco at this point in time. There's no denying it.

For whoever it was that pointed out to Flacco's playoff success, take another look. Yes, the Ravens are 4-3 in the playoffs with Flacco as their quarterback, but how much of that can really be contributed to him? In those 7 games, Flacco's stats look like this:

Completion pct.: 53%
    TD-INT:  4-7
    QB Rating: 61.9

Those aren't exactly stellar stats. In fact, they're terrible. They point to the Ravens defense as the main contributor to any 'success' Flacco may have experienced in the playoffs.

As for Eli Manning and his one Super Bowl win, if we judge him solely by that win, does that mean we should say that guys like Trent Dilfer, Jeff Hostetler, and Brad Johnson were all better quarterbacks that Dan Marino? I don't think so.

And, we could sit here and argue about what 'could' happen in the future, or what 'might' happen under the right circumstances, but the fact is, right now, Tony Romo is a better quarterback than both Eli Manning and Joe Flacco. A handful of mistakes in a few big games have completely tarnished the fact that he is one of the better quarterbacks in the league.

9. Manny2437 profile image68

Haha thanks!! IGreat feedback of course I saw the Sanchez comment coming. I'll say this, he has heart.  Romo's receiving core this year is awsome if you read my Dolphins/Cowboys prview the stats are there, they are the key for Dallas. Romo has a slight chance still.

10. Manny2437 profile image68

And of course Troy Aikman should be in the greatest quarterback discussion. I'm not saying he is THE  best, but he should at least be discussed. Only a moron feels otherwise I feel. Seriously.

11. hale12783 profile image60
    hale12783posted 12 years ago

I like Manning out of those 3.  The main reason I like Eli is because he progresses each year.  He gets a little better every year, and it shows.  I think he will eventually be on his brother Peyton's level, and I do not see Flacco or Romo ever getting there.  I like Romo, and he can put up numbers with the best of them, but he is just lacking consistency.  It seems like he puts together awesome stretches, and then he has weeks where he is making rookie mistakes consistently. 

As far as that last comment Manny, when I think of the best QB's of all time, I think Montana and Brady instantly............with Aikman only coming to mind if I reeeeeeeeealy have to think about it.  I'd probably put Marino, Elway, P.Manning, Brees, Rodgers, and Young all above him.  He was great, but I don't think he was top 5 great.

For some people it's like that.
      The fact that you included Brees and Rodgers in your list is ridiculous, especially when you're referencing the "best" quarterbacks to have played. Neither one of them belongs on the list.

Marino, Elway, Young, Montana, Bradshaw and Aikman would be in that conversation, but definitely NOT Brees or Rodgers.

12. Manny2437 profile image68

When it's all said and done Rodgers may be the best, that's all I'm saying about that that's a whole nother arguament for a whole nother day. Hale I don't think he is the best either but when you win 3 Superbowls, you automatically get on the ballot. Doesn't mean you get any votes. My vote goes to Montana.

13. optimus grimlock profile image60
    optimus grimlockposted 12 years ago

I still say flacco's bettet then manning ang romo but thats just a personal take. I will admit that flacco isnt having his best year but hes still good. If stafford stays healthy he is a top 5 or 6 qb! Ryan is another whose really good and he makes less mistakes the romo,manning,flacco! I think Josh freeman haa a chance of bein in the top ten. Hes throwing to many redzone int's to be top 10 but hes 11 for sure!

14. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 12 years ago

erm the cutest is..

depends on ones criteria.

Manning is my choice.

For personal reason I don't like any players from the Ravens. I am biased of course. I don't based my choices on stats, even if other say that "STATS Don't Lie".

15. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 12 years ago

and I have devised an indicator quotient factor I call it - "happiness quotient" When a QB is inconsistent, he brings heartache to the fans.

I compute it like this

Number of wins/number of heartbreaking losses = happiness quotient

Romo tops this one among the three. Fans go home disappointed most of the time.

16. wavegirl22 profile image41
    wavegirl22posted 12 years ago

And once again Manny the Man shows his stuff . .

what a game for Romo!

17. jcmayer777 profile image64
    jcmayer777posted 12 years ago

In my opinion, I'll take the guy that's been there, done that.  THAT is a SB ring.  Not that it's all about the ring, since some really great qb's never get one, but at this early stage in the carreers of those three, I'll take Manning. I know some will point to Dilfer and Marino as an example of when the SB win doesn't always hold true, but in general, it does.

Romo may put up "better" numbers, but when it matters most, he seems to come up short.  For me, that's the single most important thing in a qb.   Flacco isn't even in the discussion for me personally.

Stats can only tell you so much, IMO.  Until there's a "when it matter the most" stat, they cannot tell the whole story.  No, third down conversions inthe fourth quarter, or qb rating aren't always a telling stat.

As far as Rodgers and Brees go, I'm a Packer fan, but there's no way either have a complete enough body of work to go into the class of all-timers.  Sor far, Rodgers is having an all-time season and so far, Brees is in the discussion of the best of the last 4 years or so.  Years from now maybe they'll be in the all-time discussion, but too much can go wrong in football to proclaim anyone with 4-5 years as a starter an all-timer.

Interesting discussion.

18. optimus grimlock profile image60

ya romo looked ok but it was one of those games against him and not for him! Flacco didnt look great either matter of fact matt moore looked better then both! Rodgers looked like he usally does and alex smith looked like a dear in the headlights. If I had to rank them on performance yeaterday Rodgers,Moore,flacco,romo,stafford,smith

19. Manny2437 profile image68

Moore couldn't hold on to the ball in the first half. He managed the game pk, but Flacco and Romo showed a resiliency not shown by Moore. I think Romo's second half performance was the best of any on that list.

20. optimus grimlock profile image60

he fumbled once the other 2 were on his center and romo didnt show anything til 5 minutes left! (that does make up for looking like crap for the rest of the game)

21. Manny2437 profile image68

So when he play a great game and falters in the end that matters but when he plays shaky then puts together an excellent quarter with two scoring drives to win the game it means nothing? Tony Romo can't win, people want to hate him.

Manny not that I want to bring the Jets up again but I just cant get past what jcmayer777 said. Like people want to hate Romo, most want to hate Sanchez.

Quite frankly jcmayer777, Rex Ryan and Woody Johnson dont really care if you think he doesnt have "it" They do and that is why he is the QB of the New York Jets.

jc - I would love to hear who you think have been the greatest QB's ever . .. lets hear your top 5 . . and Im not talking todays QB. Go back in time and tell us who your favorite were.

At no point did I imply Ryan or Johnson would care what I think.  What in the world makes you think that I think that? That's an insane point to even attempt to make.  It's a discussion.  Not all players are superstars.  If they all are, none are. It doesn't work that way, so some make it, some don't.  All anyone can base Sanchez'   future on are his stats and what their eyes tell them.  My eyes tell me that he's plateaued.

How dare I not agree that Sanchez will be a superstar?

My tops, as you reequested.

1.  Montana
        2.  Unitas
        3.  Brady
        4.  Starr
        5. Marino

Favre, my favorite player, would probably end up on my list in the 8'ish range, behind Manning and Elway.  Brady gets in on mine as the only active player (4 superbowls, 3 rings and amazing play in the SB).  Marino was the possibly the most talented player I ever watched play qb.  Amazing passing skills, just not much around him.

What's your take on the best qb's ever?

I probably should have flipped Marino and Manning....

22. Manny2437 profile image68

Sanchez reminds me of the future Romo possibly. He has talent and makes plays, but is inconsistent and makes mistakes. I'm not giving up on Sanchez yet because he definitely has his bright spots. But 'm giving him another two years tops if I'm the Jets.

sanches goes. ..rex goes.. and that is not happening...

and i dont think rex is a loser. . he aint going no where . New York will see the Lombardy trophy within the next couple of years.. .and I am not talking about Big Blue . .. tho of course that would be ok with me. .. its just that. . Rex is really one guy who just loves loves the game. . and anyone with that amount of love and passion just has to win. ..

Ill send you my copy of his book (autographed of course). . it really was a great read. . .and you cant help but admire the guy once you read it..

geeze just think of who brought him up. .the guy that came up with the 46 defense. . .and let me tell you Buddy did not make one step of Rob or Rex's football career easy.

23. 910chris profile image75
    910chrisposted 12 years ago

By far Eli is a better second half QB. When the Giants are down in the 4th quarter that man plays his best. I have been watching him ever since he started with the Giants and this is his best year by far. On the hand with Romo, he consistently folds under pressure. Always has and probably always will. As far Flaco, the jury is still out.

24. Manny2437 profile image68

good opinion Chris, i won't refute it. I will defend Romo and say he is getting better in the clutch, but as a fan you don't have to accept Romo yet, he hasn't proven anything. I just think his time is coming

25. wavegirl22 profile image41

The best thing about Romo (well other than his cute factor) is that he has definitely been humbled. He has learned how to be a team leader and a team player and understands that if he gets sacked he can get up. When the pressure is on he actually goes for the yardage instead of whimping out and takes the hit. That took him years to do . .

Clutch.. should be part of the definition of what it takes to be a QB.

26. wavegirl22 profile image41

whoa jcmayer . .you need to take a chill pill

and then read what you write.

we are not lined up to play a game...so you can let your defense down .. and then maybe you wont contradict yourself. . .

You may need glasses for one. Your eyes are maybe not focussed so well. Sanchez for one is a clutch player. The point I was making was that Rex and Woody believe in him. . and the dollars prove that. What happens in 2 years will happen. . I did not realize you had a crystal ball and were so good in looking to the future that you know what is to come. . Or did you hear one of the sports commentators say that on TV?

Next. ..You did start your comment off with "Personally".. so my reply to you was that Rex nor Woody care about your personal opinion. . You do need to chill . .

As for your anger.. it does not sit well when making a post. . as 30 hours ago you made a comment by saying

Yet 37 minutes ago your list of the best QB's you have Marino as number 5, who has no ring to speak of. Back your comments up or you look like someone who just likes to talk out of his a@#.

My request was . .  who were the best QB's from the past NOT todays QB's.  .. but as you read what you want and go by what everyone else says you just couldnt stop yourself from putting Brady on the list. and then you even come back and switch Marino for Manning. .. hmmmmmm

Usually here in the sports arena. .we have fun .. no need to attack when someone says something you dont like. . This is a place for opinions not attacks.  .and we usually have fun here. .

27. optimus grimlock profile image60

I think the hatred for the jets comes from the annoying fans they have(its the few that ruion it for the many)plus the fact they have to spells jets all the time(some because thats the only way they know how to spell it.)I think that hatred spills over to the playes and coaches to a certain point. Rex is a great coach I'd take rex in tampa, look what he did for baltimore for all those years! When you here tv and radio talk about the same qbs all the time some people get tired of it and they start to not like or hate the player thats always mentioned. This is whats happend to romo. hes not elite but hes not lower tier either. For some people to like him it could take winning a super dowl for it to happen! When it comes to sanchez hes more hype then skill, however he could do better on another team that has less pressure on it. You could take all pro qbs put them in ny and some of them wouldnt be all pro qb's. So Sanchez does have a certain level of toughness theres just guys I would take over him.

28. Manny2437 profile image68

This topic was heated before I made the forum lol. That's why I made the forum because I was heated lol. And I love watching people argue about football haha

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)