jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

i just got a new tattoo about a week and a half a go and its starting to fade is

1. profile image44
    courtney whytsellposted 8 years ago

i just got a new tattoo about a week and a half a go and its starting to fade is that good or bad

2. Davinagirl3 profile image60
    Davinagirl3posted 8 years ago

The same thing happened to me about 2 years ago... Now, I have a half a unicorn on my ankle.  I was told that the skin on certain parts of the body is not thick enough... blah, blah, blah.  Anyway, it depends on the location of the tattoo.  You may need to re-ink in certain areas.

3. TrinaLynne profile image81
    TrinaLynneposted 8 years ago

It may be that the needle used was dull so that it did not penetrate the skin enough for the ink to set. You may just have to go back and ask the tattoo artist to go over the part that are faded again.....free of charge....lol

4. profile image44
    Parrish L-Lposted 8 years ago

I would say that is bad considering how much it faded. it could be that it might have looked more ambient when you first had it done, and now its settling. But if not than yes that is in fact bad. If I was you I would go back and have it redone free of charge. I could also be that the needle wasn't sharp enough to penetrate far enough. Goodluck check back if you find out

5. Daniel Carter profile image75
    Daniel Carterposted 8 years ago

I suppose it depends whether or not you still have an attachment to the tatoo thirty years from now. Talking to older people with tatoos, many don't see them as important at all, as they age. However, since you do want this tattoo and it's new, I'd say fading is a bad thing.

6. profile image58
    Calliope Jonesposted 8 years ago

This is actually fairly common, in my experiences and in the experiences of those I know with tattoos.  Many tattoo artists will even explain how the ink could fade (usually, as I believe has been mentioned, from needles not penetrating as deeply as they need), and many will even offer a free touch up.

Talk with the artist who did your tattoo, and find out if this service is offered.  I would also suggest that you find a tattoo artist who does offer this, if yours does not.

-Calliope Jones