jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Does your natural hair grow as fast as your relaxed hair?

1. profile image51
    Nekeaposted 7 years ago

Does your natural hair grow as fast as your relaxed hair?

2. Research Analyst profile image84
    Research Analystposted 7 years ago

I found that natural hair grows faster but the reason it is hard to tell the new growth is due to the amount of shrinkage that is present, to achieve true length and maintain healthy hair it is best to keep the hair conditioned and moisturized as much as possible and not dry hair out with blow drying or using a flat iron. I have noticed many women using detangling brushes on their natural hair when wet, I think that this will reduce hair growth because the ends are getting damaged with excessive brushing.

3. tinisha12 profile image73
    tinisha12posted 7 years ago

That's a good question, and I'm going to provide my opinion. I have had relaxed hair for about a total of about 8 years of my entire life, off and on. During that time, my hair never seemed to grow past my chin, and other times my hair broke out bad and it was always too thin. I always went to a salon at that when I got my relaxers. I stopped using chemical based relaxers back in 2000 for a couple of years and then I completely stopped at the end of 2006 and never looked back. My natural hair has grown faster in my opinion and it is definitely thicker since I stopped using chemical based relaxers. I use natural relaxers on my hair now. Such a big difference. I wrote a hub article on natural non-chemical relaxers if you want to check it out: http://hubpages.com/hub/Natural-Hair-Relaxers

4. KySmith profile image81
    KySmithposted 6 years ago

Hair, no matter chemically processed or natural, will grow at the same average rate of about .25 and .5 inches per month. Whether  a person is retaining length or not is another issue. While I was relaxed my hair never grew past arm pit length. Once I began to take care of my hair It grew to bra strap length. Once it got there I decided to go natural so I cut the length that I grew off and started over with natural hair. I am still retaining length because I am taking care of my hair. If I were still relaxing my hair I am confident that if I took care of my hair it would grow just as good as my natural hair is. Overall, it just depends on how you take care of your hair.

5. NaturalHairGrows profile image59
    NaturalHairGrowsposted 6 years ago

Yes, it grows at the same rate, but shrinkage makes it hard to tell the true length of your hair so it appears like it grows slower.

6. DanielleCherise profile image87
    DanielleCheriseposted 5 years ago

My natural hair grew a lot faster than my relaxed hair. I permed my hair most of my life, and my hair never grew past my shoulders. Within a year of cutting my hair its now as long as it was permed.i think that going natural gives your hair a better chance to grow since it isn't being damaged by chemicals.