jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)

Why do Black women straighten their hair?

1. mintinfo profile image76
    mintinfoposted 6 years ago

Why do Black women straighten their hair?

Is it because of indoctrination, self hatred, brain washing, or too hard to manage otherwise.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/5210425_f260.jpg

2. RedxVelvet profile image59
    RedxVelvetposted 6 years ago

Why does anyone straighten their hair?  It's not just about one thing or is only done by one group of people.  I straighten my hair, and I'm white.  Why do I do it?  It's easier to handle for other styles that I wish to create.

1. Levertis Steele profile image86
      Levertis Steeleposted 4 years agoin reply to this

: D That makes a lot of sense!

3. Jason Oleinik profile image70
    Jason Oleinikposted 6 years ago

Don't think this has anything to do with racial background, just a style choice.

4. puddingicecream profile image75
    puddingicecreamposted 6 years ago

I think for personal and aesthetic reasons.

5. Smart is Good profile image61
    Smart is Goodposted 6 years ago

Every woman flat irons her hair at some point in life, not just black women. But I have seen natural African-american hair and it is extremely curly. Extremely curly hair is really hard to maintain healthy, it gets dry, it breaks, you can't comb through it and it has a lot a lot a lot of volume which can be annoying and unflattering.

1. Levertis Steele profile image86
      Levertis Steeleposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Kinky hair can be combed, and it is not annoying to those who love it. Volume works well with certain styles, especially the afro. I have seen some people with silky hair wash with vinegar and heavily tease their hair to get volume. "To each his own"

2. Bianca Mccoullum profile image60
      Bianca Mccoullumposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Curly hair is hard to maintain, if that's what you want to call it. I used to get headaches from combing my hair it was nappy. We perm our hair because it's easier to maintain. I hated hot combs. A perm every four months is all that's needed.

6. Levertis Steele profile image86
    Levertis Steeleposted 6 years ago

Black girls straighten their hair with straightening combs and permanents. White girls straighten their hair with permanents, flat irons, and pressing irons. Black and White girls curl and crinkle their hair. Black and White girls dye and frost their hair. Black and White girls braid their hair. Black and White girls wear Mohawk Styles. Black and White girls spike their hair. None of these dos are natural for either race of girls who choose to do them, or they would have no need, So, why do Black girls have to have a mental problem when they do it? Why was the question not prompted to White girls?

When Black girls do these thing, are they indoctrinated, haters of themselves, brainwashed, or just need a manageable do? All of these could be reasons for different girls, including Whites. Only each Black girl, or a sampling, can tell you why, but the next time, prompt White girls, too.

I like natural and straightened hair because those are my preferences. Why do some Black men prefer White women, instead of Black? "Is it because of indoctrination, self hatred, brain washing, or too hard to manage otherwise." We Blacks are something else with ourselves! OR, are we the ones who are always put down and picked on because "We are the darker brother"?

working