jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Why is it ok for women to wear long pants and not ok for men to wear dresses?

1. baygirl33 profile image59
    baygirl33posted 6 years ago

Why is it ok for women to wear long pants and not ok for men to wear dresses?

Just seems weird how that is. Of course there was a time when men wore long dresses,still do in the ancient countries.

2. RVDaniels profile image74
    RVDanielsposted 6 years ago

That's simple. Men do wear dresses, ever seen a highlander in his kilt or a priest in a cassock? LOL Sorry for the humor but I suppose men avoid wearing dresses because it seems feminine and also we have ugly legs.

3. Michael Graves profile image59
    Michael Gravesposted 6 years ago

It's a barrier that is slowly starting to break down now, but you are right; in most cases, men are still heavily frowned on for wearing dresses. I think it has to do with the subconscious attitude that many misogynist men have toward women. It goes like this: "It's perfectly fine for a woman to imitate a man, because a man is worthy of imitation. Any man who imitates a woman in his style of dress, however, is clearly less of a man." I do hope that this sort of primitive thinking will vanish in time; I know plenty of perfectly normal men (and no, not just homosexuals, though some of them, too) who enjoy wearing dresses or skirts because they allow greater freedom of movement, and because they draw attention, courtesy of the taboo surrounding men dressing that way.

4. Hubpage Gal profile image61
    Hubpage Galposted 6 years ago

It was not acceptable for women to wear slacks the same as men until women's suffrage which was around 1920.  Also women were not allowed to drive automobile.  It is the liberation that one gets when long pants are worn that make them attractive to women.  Men see no need to dress feminine and restrain them in what they can do because of the florals and frills.

working