jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Why do many men like wearing caps, especially with some kind of logo on them?

1. puregrace profile image67
    puregraceposted 5 years ago

Why do many men like wearing caps, especially with some kind of logo on them?

It seems that men collect caps, and from their collection they pick the one to wear to wherever they are going. Why do men like their caps so well? And why do they pick certain ones for going to work, or to get gas for the car, or to walk around the neighborhood?

2. nikonville profile image59
    nikonvilleposted 5 years ago

I have no hair so I come from the point of view of sun protection, but I can say that a cap makes the person feel secure and complete, because your head feels comfortable when it is contained within something.  The cap is an American styled hat made popular during the mid-century at baseball games, so for the citizens of the USA it carries a 'ballgame' feel, ie: relaxing with family on the weekend.  Generally people have tried to introduce this comfort/relaxing mode into the other areas of their lives, such as work, exercising, filling the car.  As the cap became more popular in the lives of Americans it flowed into popular culture through TV and movies, thereby spreading its' presence to other cultures, in NZ where I live we recognize that the cap is a USA import but we have stamped our own island style on it so that it is part of our own culture.  When all is said and done there aren't many other trappings that a man can wear with street credibility, since high fashion and handbags have traditionally been in the female domain.

1. puregrace profile image67
      puregraceposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Very interesting...and I like that men wear caps, but was wondering what was behind this habit.

3. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 5 years ago

It's a personal preference. I sometimes wear one. Many men no longer make that clear transition from dressing like a boy to dressing like a man; so they think that caps are all that is open to them. The typical timeline of men's fashion from creation to everyday use is thus: First, military uniforms are invented, then modifed slightly for a civilian application (ex. the French Kepi turned into a cloth cap for casual use or for laborers) These new civilian-modified clothes will branch out in various forms, typically with a version that is modified for sportswear use (ex. the cloth-cap was further modified into a functional cap for baseball). The sportswear version of the clothing eventually takes the place of the original proper clothing. As this happens, the sportswear is further modified in order to look good for everyday wear. Thus, we have the modern cap. The logo is added, because businesses like to get free advertising. Ballcaps with a logo are traditionally cheaper than proper felt hats; so more ordinary people wear them. The cap keeps the sun off their face and eyes, but not their ears and neck. Paying to wear anything with a logo on it is a way of becoming a free walking billboard for a company.

4. lostohanababy profile image59
    lostohanababyposted 3 years ago

Its 'cool', some of the caps, their logos 'stitched' or 'painted'.  Interesting, funny, cute.  Some of the men have a business, and it like a way of advertising to get more customers.  Men have 'likes' and 'dislikes' in things they collect.  Just like some of the things women are attracted to and collect, shoes, purses, jewelry, and outfits.