jump to last post 1-13 of 13 discussions (13 posts)

What is the best way to stop my nails from breaking?

1. davenstan profile image72
    davenstanposted 5 years ago

What is the best way to stop my nails from breaking?

2. profile image0
    Kena Bladelposted 5 years ago

Well, I think you should start from the begining. Use a nails cream treatment, seriously, they do work. My nails were weak and didn't grow. I started using the cream: they grew and are stronger. Use nails hardener has a base then put the nail polish... (sorry, i'm portuguese, my english is intermediate..) Drink water or put your nails in water to hydrate. You can also substitute or increase your nails treatment for/with oils, like avocado oil - vitamin E, A (important for hair, nails, skin), olive oil, almonds oils... Anything that's good for nails, there are lots of homemade treatments too, so it's up to you... wink You should considerer reflect about your diet, because it does afects you body... Hope i helped you smile

3. Life and Luxury profile image84
    Life and Luxuryposted 5 years ago

Make sure your thyroid hormones are all at adequate levels. A lack of this can cause ridges and breakage in nails. Next, make sure you have a balanced, healthy diet. Finally, wearing a few coats of clear or other color nail polish can help temporarily prevent breakage.

4. lburmaster profile image84
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

Use nail strengthener. It's a lot like a polish. Every time I give myself a mani pedi, I put it on as a top and bottom coat. Also have plenty of calcium. Nails are bone. If your bones are strong, your nails and teeth are strong as well.

5. Allyson M profile image60
    Allyson Mposted 5 years ago

Hi there.   I hope I can help you out with this.  I actually had healthy, long and strong nails for most of my life, but then several years ago I got sick with an autoimmune disease, everything about my health went south, including my nails.  They would break off, peel, you name it, they did it.  It was difficult for me to accept.  Eventually my nails came back, and I swear by doing the following:
    #1. get a good amount of aerobic exercise.  All that blood flow to your extremities can help the health of your nail beds.  I know this made a big difference in my nail health.  #2.  Fill any nutritional gaps you may have with multivitamins, or vitamins geared toward hair and nail health.  When my nails started to bend and get weak, I was religious with my vitamins and I would say in about a month my nails were strong and hard again,  #3.  Find a good basecoat, I swear by OPI Nail Envy, pricey but worth every penny.  Please be aware that their original formula does contain formaldehyde, not good for us but it does make your nails very hard, there is a formula for sensitive nails that is formaldehyde free, it is worth trying.  And #4, every once in a while I will take my polish off and for a day or two let my nails go without it.  I swear this allows my nails to "breathe."  They seem to get a nice healthy boost of growth when I do this.  But I am mindful not to clean or do anything that might make them vulnerable when they are polish free.

Good luck!  I hope this helps!

6. Rosie2010 profile image76
    Rosie2010posted 5 years ago

If your nails are breaking or splitting, you either have brittle nails or weak nails. Learn how to protect your nails and finally get the beautiful strong nails you deserve. read more

7. davenstan profile image72
    davenstanposted 5 years ago

Thanks everyone. These are all great suggestions. I have long nails, but they keep breaking. I will try these suggestions.

8. Monisajda profile image73
    Monisajdaposted 5 years ago

Eat whole grains and generally a healthy diet. I don't do anything to my nails and they are strong and shiny, they never break.

9. ultimate kenneth profile image60
    ultimate kennethposted 5 years ago

Just put an oil treatment... You may also dip your hands to water with salt solution. Limit your nails on heat exposures.

10. shiningirisheyes profile image60
    shiningirisheyesposted 5 years ago

A good friend of mine is a nail technician.  She told me to square them off on top and round the sides of each nail.  My nails may chip from time to time, but not as often.

11. nanadolls profile image60
    nanadollsposted 5 years ago

I would suggest increasing your calicum. Milk, yogurt cheese & ice cream or a calcium supplement. You will be surprised in about a week how stronger your nails are. Good Luck

12. Chisa Tatum profile image58
    Chisa Tatumposted 3 years ago

I hear that Natural Calcium and Iron helps them grow stronger. Mine do the same and it sucks but i also keep them short and filed evenly and very clean. Good Luck! smile

13. Tom Ramstack profile image81
    Tom Ramstackposted 3 years ago

Use screws instead of nails. It's easier to anchor them securely into whatever it is you're building.

working