Is it socially acceptable for a woman to propose marriage to a man?

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (22 posts)
  1. dashingscorpio profile image80
    dashingscorpioposted 13 years ago

Is it socially acceptable for a woman to propose marriage to a man?

Even with all the gains women have made in terms of equality many of them view being “proactive” as being “desperate” when it comes to approaching men for dates, a dance, and especially marriage. According to many articles there are lots of women who want to get married but won’t propose. Is it a matter of pride or fear of rejection?
    It’s 2011. Do you see this mindset ever changing?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/4339962_f260.jpg

2. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

No, In my own opinion,  I will wait for the man to propose to me. I think though that most women are more vocal now and there is increasing trend of that scenario.

3. nightwork4 profile image59
    nightwork4posted 13 years ago

i'm not sure if on average it is socially acceptable or the norm but i have no problem with it.

4. Ashantina profile image62
    Ashantinaposted 13 years ago

I think as a woman its ok to let your man know 'where you are' in terms of your desire to get married. But I feel the guy should always propose.. I guess I'm 'old-fashioned'..

5. Smaridge01 profile image66
    Smaridge01posted 13 years ago

I suspect we are a few more generations away from women feeling at ease with initiating a proposal. I think it's fine myself, but I think there are still a lot of older women, the 'authority figures' in the lives of many young women, who still believe the man should initiate the proposal.

6. profile image0
    Edliraposted 13 years ago

In my opinion it is totally acceptable. How often that happens that's a different matter. It is hard to break stereotypes and go against the stream, but I think depends on the individuals. I would like and hope to see it happen more often.

7. xixi12 profile image69
    xixi12posted 13 years ago

Call me old-fashioned, but I think the man should do the wooing. Women fall in love easily and think with their heart. When a man proposes it means he has thought it through in his head and is truly ready for a commitment.

8. wingedcentaur profile image64
    wingedcentaurposted 13 years ago

This is an interesting question, dashingscorpio. I can tell from the responses that this straightforward question -- like most worthwhile questions -- does not have a straightforward or easy answer.

I would be very interested to know why, those respondents who think of themselves as traditionalists, hold the belief that it is the man who should do the proposing. Perhaps the very picture you chose put some people off, if you don't mind my saying so -- it looks rather awkward, the two in it are clearly actors; it somehow "rings false," I think.

First of all I think it is fine for a woman to propose -- I find the idea rather alluring for some reason.

I think the vestiges of a taboo that surrounds (a woman proposing to a man) has something to do with traditional gender expectations (which are still very strongly operative) as to who will/should be the "bread winner," the "provider" and so forth. The proposal of marriage, then, feels (to most people) like the act of the person who means to take on a specific, proactive role in certain dimensions of the relationship. Of course, I could be wrong. Just a thought.

Take it easy.

9. profile image52
    skivviesposted 13 years ago

It's acceptable; but of course, it depends on the specific man and woman. Some men are comfortable being proposed to, it takes a weight off their shoulders. But some men want to be the proposee, and make it a fun and romantic event for their girlfriend.

10. Sackinger profile image61
    Sackingerposted 13 years ago

Social acceptability is past tense.  If you don't pick your nose in public or pee in the corner or hurt someone it's socially acceptable.  Women asking isn't my business unless it's me asking  and I haven't.

11. ugagirl66 profile image69
    ugagirl66posted 13 years ago

Absolutely. Women have fought a long time to be considered the equal or partner of man. Why would you draw the lines at proposing marriage? Sometimes, they may be unsure of your reaction. Do you really want to guess at whether he would want to marry you? Pop the question and find out! You will walk away happy and ready for the next step in your life. OR you will have the answer that you longed for and can make a decision to move on. Either way, no more wondering, no more stress.

12. DiamondMax profile image60
    DiamondMaxposted 13 years ago

From around the water cooler at Max's Price Guides:

"Men are simple creatures: a man wants  food, affection, and to be the "manly hero" in the eyes of their mate.    Allowing the man to propose permits him to be the 'manly hero' rescuing the damsel in distress from a life of poverty (yes, deep down he wants to be the hero breadwinner) and insecurity (yes, deep down he wants to be the family protector).  If the women proposes, it takes the 'manly hero' role away from the man."

"The person with the least interest in the relationship will control it. If the woman proposes marriage in a culture where the man usually proposes, then this may just tip that balance of power unfavorably to the man."

"The right guy will be on a knee, with a ring (yes, a diamond ring!), asking, and it won't be a surprise. If you have to ask, you have the wrong guy!"

So think twice before asking him!

(And do help him out by sending him a link to diamondpricebluebook.com so he doesn't overpay for the diamond in that ring!)

Max

13. Autumn Lynn profile image66
    Autumn Lynnposted 13 years ago

In theory I think it is fine for a women to propose. If a couple told me the story of their engagment and the women had proposed I would think nothing of it. However, I can not picture myself ever doing so and I am not 100% sure I know why. It has me thinking...

14. Kommoon profile image62
    Kommoonposted 13 years ago

It's acceptable, but I am not confident enough to do so smile

15. Suzanne Levac profile image61
    Suzanne Levacposted 13 years ago

Well I also think that it is totally acceptable for a woman to propose but socially we have a long way to go still. Fear of rejection? I don't think so, I think it is more a question of tradition and also it does feel more romantic (in my eyes) if the man propose to his woman and even so if it is at the perfect magical moment and place. But I can see lots of controversy on this subject. In the end what matters is that the couple is happy being together!

16. crazychick101 profile image53
    crazychick101posted 13 years ago

absolutly....women have the same rights as men...yes...it might be a little weird...but only because everyone is so used to a male proposing to the female:)

17. shabbirkhi profile image60
    shabbirkhiposted 13 years ago

I think socially acceptable because man and women both are free to choose and take a decision for his life on the other hand This is a personal choice or events does not effects if socially acceptable or not

18. Klena profile image70
    Klenaposted 13 years ago

I think it's completely personal depending on your relationship! I'll admit that the stereotype means that it does make people hesitant.

Fundamentally, a proposal is a deeply personal experience between two people who love each other and who want to spend their lives together. So I think it is acceptable smile

19. profile image51
    Jack Holmesposted 13 years ago

I think that these days there are no barriers in terms of social etiquette. Pretty much anything goes but I doubt that it happens very often because I think that women like to be asked, I think that if they had to ask it somehow wouldn't be the same. From my experience women have an uncanny ability to get what they want anyway so if they want to get married they will find a way to get the man to propose!

20. arizonataylor profile image79
    arizonataylorposted 13 years ago

Why wouldn't it be okay?  I say that it is absolutely fine, without question.

21. Dawn Tate profile image60
    Dawn Tateposted 13 years ago

My own personal choice would be to have the man ask me because it would create a sense of well-being, almost like everything in my world just fell into place the moment I was asked.  I value that.  (Ok, now, saying "yes" to the offer of marriage is an entirely different question so I won't go there).

Now, if the "right" person is asking, I feel that in a lot of "traditional" ways, it would help me understand that I am a partner, not merely someone who has been chosen to cook, clean, and pop out a few kids while he does his own thing with little or no regard to our commitment.  Tradition means a lot to me and I think it's endearing that a man would propose, not stereotypical at all.  I have no problem with women who chose to propose first.  It just simply wasn't my own personal choice because, let's face it, I hate rejection. smile

22. Kamran100 profile image56
    Kamran100posted 13 years ago

i think its is acceptable if both love each other..than my be its reasonable.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)