jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (9 posts)

Should Christian women wear pants?

1. youcanwin profile image76
    youcanwinposted 5 years ago

Should Christian women wear pants?

2. Marcus99 profile image59
    Marcus99posted 5 years ago

Would you rather they all walk around in their panties only?

3. renegadetory profile image97
    renegadetoryposted 5 years ago

Yes, they can wear pants.  God is not concerned with outward appearance as he is what is in our thoughts and in our heart.  Whether a woman chooses to wear pants or a skirt is her own choice.  Again it has more to do with motive then just clothing.

4. Everyday Miracles profile image87
    Everyday Miraclesposted 5 years ago

That depends greatly on your perspective. If you are of the mindset that trousers which are cut for women classify as "women's clothing," then yes, women should be able to wear pants. However, if you are of the mindset that trousers are a type of clothing which is assigned to men and to men only, then women should of curse not wear pants.

Why? The scriptures say in Deuteronomy 22:5, "A woman shall not wear anything that pertains to a man; nor shall a man put on a woman's garment, for all who do so are an abomination to the Lord your God."

Of course there are many Christians who will argue that with Christ the Old Covenant was fulfilled and that we are now under a New Covenant and therefore not held by the Old Laws that were given to Moses in the Torah. They will argue that unless a specific passage comes from the Ten Commandments that it doesn't pertain to them. I personally believe that what they are saying is that only the parts of the Bible that fulfill them personally are valid, and that they are not held to the other passages of the Bible.

However, I encourage all Christians to observe Matthew 5: 17-20, in which Jesus (Yeshua) instructs his followers that he has come to fulfill the law and not to do away with it. He goes on to tell His followers that anyone who teaches that the Law has been abolished will be "least in the Kingdom."

Therefore, if one considers pants to be the apparel of men and NOT of women, the answer is that Christian women should dress in clothing that is meant for their gender, such as skirts and dresses.

In my opinion there is some room for a difference in opinions with regard to what attire is acceptable given that the cut of women's trousers is very different than the cut of men's trousers. The scriptures leave no doubt on other issues, such as the fact that Christian women should cover their heads, but even mentioning this brings a lot of speculation as well due to the common Christian argument that "Paul didn't mean it that way." There will always be people who choose to put passages into "context" in order to eliminate personal responsibility for obedience to God.

1. youcanwin profile image76
      youcanwinposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the eye opening explanation..

5. Lizam1 profile image83
    Lizam1posted 5 years ago

I think God might have a few more important concerns than what people wear.  I'm just shocked that in the USA many who claim to christian are Ok with packing a gun wherever they go.

6. jojoluvsjon profile image61
    jojoluvsjonposted 5 years ago

If it makes you feel closer to God by not wearing pants, then who am I to judge? 

I am perfectly comfortable in my Christianity to wear pants and feel that God loves me whether I wear a skirt, skort, dress, jeans, shorts or togas!

For me, it's what is in my heart, not what is on my body.

7. jennshealthstore profile image90
    jennshealthstoreposted 5 years ago

I think that God is not really too concerned with what we wear. Of course we should respect ourselves and dress appropriately, but I do not think that if I wear a skirt or pants that I am any less of a believer in God. The things that I think that would be important to God has more to do with who we are as a person, how our hearts are and if we attempt to do the right thing.

8. tenderLaine profile image75
    tenderLaineposted 5 years ago

Of course, if they want to, that is. There is liberty in Christ.

working