jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)

Does placing cucumbers on one's eyes really help with puffiness due to allergies

1. Faith Reaper profile image87
    Faith Reaperposted 2 years ago

Does placing cucumbers on one's eyes really help with puffiness due to allergies?

I am curious as to how does placing sliced cucumbers on one's eyes reduces puffiness.  What in the cucumber helps to reduce puffiness exactly?  There must be ragweed in bloom here and my eyes are a bit swollen as I am allergic to ragweed, and I am thinking of placing cucumbers on my eyes to relieve them a bit, but does doing so actually help?  Thank you for answering. 

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12573619_f260.jpg

2. billybuc profile image89
    billybucposted 2 years ago

Darned if I know. I just stopped by to say hi and wish you a fantastic weekend...so....hi, and have a fantastic weekend. smile

blessings always

Faith Reaperposted 2 years agoin reply to this

LOL, Dear Bill, thank you for the visit to my puffy eyes question. I am glad you popped over to my side of HP. My hubby had knee surgery so I have been off from work these past two days. Not major surgery, just to repair a torn meniscus.  Bless you!

3. bodylevive profile image76
    bodyleviveposted 2 years ago

No, cucumber does not relieve allergies. Food like bananas, chamomile tea, honey, cucumbers, sunflower seeds and zucchini may contain pollen should be avoided. Consuming food rich in antioxidant helps in a great way to treat pollen allergies. If your nose is clogged, breathe in eucalyptus oil. Hope this helps.

Oh, thank you so much, bodylevive.  Well, I am just guessing the eye puffiness is from allergies, but does placing cucumbers on one's eyes reduce physical puffiness, do you know?

4. bravewarrior profile image94
    bravewarriorposted 2 years ago

From what I've read, the ascorbic acid and caffeic acid in cucumbers reduces the water retention that can make eyes puffy. Also, cold reduces swelling. I have puffy eyes and have been meaning to try it, but never think of doing so when I've got cucumbers in the house.

Hemorrhoid pads are also supposed to be good for puffy eyes, preferably Tucks, not PreparationH.

Here's an interesting article I found, because I have the same problem:

http://www.wikihow.com/Reduce-Puffy-Eyes

My problem is I never think of trying any of these remedies when I actually have the time. What's a girl to do? :-)

Hi Sha, that is exactly what I am looking for ...just how do the cucumbers help the puffiness. I just had some cucumbers and I wait until they are gone to remember this too! LOL ..Wow, about the hemorrhoid pads.  Thank you for the great answer.

5. Jackie Lynnley profile image89
    Jackie Lynnleyposted 2 years ago

It probably is the cold that helps. I would get some drops. The pharmacist can tell you what is best. I use prescription ones everyday (well except for when I forget lol) and they really help. Pataday; which are generic if you do see or talk to the doctor.
    Hope your husband did well; does he have to stay awhile?

Thanks Jackie, that makes sense about the cold.  Just regular eye drops? He is home from the hospital and is doing well as can be expected. I am glad he just got that over with. It is a minor knee surgery, repairing the meniscus and scoping the knee.

6. Dana Tate profile image87
    Dana Tateposted 2 years ago

I have puffy eyes in the morning, and allergies. I have tried the cucumber remedy but I didn't see any difference. Maybe I'll try it one more time just to be sure.

Hi Dana,  I am going to try it today just to see ... something is in full bloom here in the Deep South for sure.  It believe it may be the ragweed across the road in the pastures.  Thank you for answering.

working