Who else is technologically challanged?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (15 posts)
  1. moneyfairy profile image59
    moneyfairyposted 10 years ago

I mostly use the library for the internet. I don't own a cell phone as I have to many other bills to pay for and can't afford one. I'm just wondering if anyone out there uses a real phone anymore and if anyone writes real letters anymore or is it all about texting and e-mailing and facebooking etc....??? Just curious. I still love writing note cards to friends and family for their birthdays and holidays and just because... I still like receving letters in the mail too. It is more personal somehow.
    What do you think about technology?

moneyfairyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Look forward to hearing from any of you on this subject! Thank you in advance.

2. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It has its pluses and minuses, good and bad.
      It impersonalizes so much of our lives!
      Yet it's quicker, easier, more convenient.
      I'm quite techologically challenged too, about much of it.

We had a landline (home phone) up until last year.   I loved it;  ya didn't have to charge it up;  it didn't cut out all the time like cell phones do;  we had free long distance in our package deal;  AND it wasn't nearly as "invasive" as cell phones, since I didn't have to carry it everywhere with me.  lol.    I actually used to kinda look forward to coming home some days and go to the phone and find out who called me!

But I guess convenience outweighs the landline.   And cell phones of course provide an element of safety for a person when they're traveling, etc.

I'm sad to say I rarely write letters anymore either.   I do send a few Christmas cards.   
      I think what bothers me the most is that the technological way of communicating has made it seem so much more temporary.   I know I've saved practically every letter my Mom and my friends ever wrote to me!   But text messages and etc. (even though the words and thoughts can kinda be "permanent" in one's memory or etc.)  are subject to deletion or loss.

Thanks Brenda for sharing your thoughts on technology, and yes we tend to save physical letters more than e-mails, the physical ones seem so much more personal.

3. profile image0
      Sarra Garrettposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hi moneyfairy.  Technology is so impersonal, there are no more b-day cards in the mail or Christmas cards it's all done online now.  I used to love to get letters and notecards but not just turn on your computer.  I don't like cell phones either and especially I don't like TV.  I haven't had a TV for 5 years now and I don't even miss it.  I do have the internet though as that is my only communication with the outside world and the library is just too far away to walk to.

Thanks Sarra! I mostly go to the library when I can but I don't have a cell phone or pricey cable or tevo or tebo the thing that copies shows on t.v.  I only have an old zenith t.v. that is 25 yrs. old and only has like 6 channels LOL...I don't watch much t.v but I did get a cheap dvd player so I can see movies I get from the library and I'm loving all the Agatha Christy movies and Midsomer Murders ( a british detective show), I think the last one was 2010 or so very beautiful scenery and interesting story lines and best of all it's free at the library smile But glad you have your computer at home for communication!!!

2. Reality Bytes profile image74
    Reality Bytesposted 10 years ago

I have never owned a cell phone.  I find cell phones to separate individuals from each other.  Nothing frustrates me more than seeing an individual walk up to a store counter while on the phone.  Never taking the time to acknowledge the human being in front of them!

I was talking to a few gentleman once when one of their phones rang.  Instead of walking away to speak, he had the audacity to put up a hand to the rest of us as if we should all be silent and listen to his conversation.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTUSY8WbSFDiT_Fk54qdauDP1KchVsnY2lg1MaPDLDZsAfxwfe40g

I find people on cell phones to be rude!

me too!!!It is so very disrespectful and also dangerous when driving and on a cell phone too, that just drives me nuts. I hope some of these people get tickets and realize they could create accidents, even hands free phones. When they aren't paying attention to the roads they could kill themselves and others .

3. cheaptrick profile image75
    cheaptrickposted 10 years ago

If you would like to see what I Really look like just Google Technopeasent cause I'm their poster boy pic.
    Actually...I'm to freaking lazy to learn...

Thanks for sharing.!

4. moneyfairy profile image59
    moneyfairyposted 10 years ago

I just want to scream as I am trying to get adsense from google to start earning something and it is still pending???also I have no idea how to sign up for e-bay to get money or if I even want to??I just want to get approved and then see what happens from there but I set up an account but I logged out and tried to log in again and I can't get back in??? It's so very frustrating..... I even asked the librarian and she was hard pressed as to why it wasn't working. I guess I just have to call the number for google and see if I can talk to a human to help.... Have any of you had problems signing on to adsesnse??? I haven't gotten denied or accepted it's like I am in limbo.... AAAHHHHH

1. profile image0
      Sarra Garrettposted 10 years agoin reply to this

got right in on the first try with adsense.  I see a lot of people are having a hard time with it though.  I joined 3 years ago so maybe it was easier back then.  I do wish I knew how to set up a website though  lol.  Guess I'm old fashioned.  I don't even have a tv i watch my movies on my computer and I love to read.  I'm into the mysteries now myself.  The local library is giving away old books dating back to the early 1900's so I've been grabbing them up so I can start my book hoarding again lol.  I've gotten some really neat books.  Nothing like the smell of an old book. 

There was a mystery on PBS station that was set in England and it was fun to watch, can't remember the name of it though. But I do like those English mysteries.

Thanks Sarra, Lucky you!!!! Glad you had a quick response from them . Glad you love those English mysteries too!!!

5. Rpenafiel profile image61
    Rpenafielposted 10 years ago

“Them so called modern zombies, straddling unconsciously with their eyes fixed on their phone and caring for nothing or no one but the phone.” Anyway, everything that is hand-made or handwritten is always a thing with sentimental value. About cell phones, I tried to keep them simple and I hate complex smartphones. Still using a phone from Just5 and it simply gives me what I wanted for a cell phone should be.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)