Do you think it's good to always be available to people by cell phone?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (24 posts)
  1. Catherine Kane profile image82
    Catherine Kaneposted 11 years ago

Do you think it's good to always be available to people by cell phone?

What are the positive points of non-stop availability? The negative points?

2. profile image0
    alung12posted 11 years ago

Most of the time yes, but to much of anything is bad, a balance is required. I do use my phone way a lot though.

1. profile image0
      detroitmareposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Way a lot eh?

3. Distant Mind profile image68
    Distant Mindposted 11 years ago

Well, it really depends if you are looking at it from a personal or a business point of view.

If its about your personal life, you cannot be always available and reachable. If there is an emergency, it's unlikely that you would be able to solve it over the phone. My personal policy is that I pick up my phone when I'm available to talk and I hang up if it's not a good time. If the person calls me again, it means it's urgent and I pick up right away, despite the fact that talking on the phone might be the last thing I want to do.

On the other hand, if we are talking about a serious business, the company phones or cell phones should be constantly reachable. That's why companies invest so much in call centers, 24/7 hotlines and so on.

Catherine Kaneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks- see I was not clear. I'm thinking more of from a personal standpoint.

4. profile image0
    detroitmareposted 11 years ago

Cell phones are great for emergencies, but otherwise they are annoying.  I can't stand to see people in my way at the grocery store talking on their phone - it's not a problem if they can still realize that they are in a store and people are trying to get by.  It's also annoying to see someone at an event (such as a baseball game) on their phone.  Why would you pay good money to go watch a game or concert and then spend your time there on the phone?  I liked it better when if you were not home, you were busy.  Much more to say about all of this, but have rambled long enough in response to your question.

Thanks .I also wonder about people having the time to just think or look around them if they're constantly "hooked up".People who need to be in constant contact seem to miss so much of life..

2. profile image0

Catherine: some people cannot stand the sound of their own thoughts.

3. Catherine Kane profile image82

That is true- but I think that drowning out your own thoughts is a risky way to live ones life...

4. profile image0

I concur.  I hear the voices in my head with absolute clarity...even when they scare me.

5. profile image0
    BlytheThompsonposted 11 years ago

I say yes, because thanks to the technology of the cell phone, you can see who's calling (most of the time) and choose not to answer and pretend not to be there. Mean but true!!

6. carman58 profile image68
    carman58posted 11 years ago

Yes, because you can always reject a call if you want to, but always available if something important happens, everyone should have a mobile phone connected to the web 24/7 IMHO :-)

7. bernard.sinai profile image78
    bernard.sinaiposted 11 years ago

No. Sometimes cell phones can actually be an annoyance. I think there are times when you just need to turn off the cell.

8. Peter Geekie profile image75
    Peter Geekieposted 11 years ago

Dear Catherine

The cell phone is the bane of my life. Because you have one others seem to feel its quite ok to phone you in the early hours with some inane question.
    Everyone, except me, should be banned from having one !!!

I also think that it's a good thing for people not to assume that they automatically have 24 hour access to you. The ones who kick up a fuss if you don't answer when they first call  are also the ones you least want to speak with

9. writerjj profile image85
    writerjjposted 11 years ago

Tough question. Personally, I always answer the phone as long as the number is saved on my phone book - you'll never know if it is an emergency or an urgent matter.
    - If it is an emergency I stay on the line and asks whats the matter.
    - If it is just a simple where are you, how are you, and the likes, it depends on where I'm at or what am I doing during the time of the call.

As for the positive and negative points, Cell phones do have a lot of advantages. Unfortunately, for any advantage there is a seemingly equal downside. This is the reason why phone owners should be responsible enough and considerate of the people around them - especially those who speak too loud at a public place smile

10. pinappu profile image84
    pinappuposted 11 years ago

It depends on your personality and age. If you are a teenager girl with a lot of friends you shall like to be available 24x7 by cell phone. But if you are a poet or a meditative type of person ( or a person with speech disabilities) then you may not like to be all time available.
    For me, it varies from time to time.

11. profile image0
    Quddusposted 11 years ago

I have very mixed feelings about this and in fact have written a hub about it. My short answer would be that while there are good reasons to be available at all times such as the need to be reached during an emergency, at the same time we all need time when we are certain we will not be disturbed.

12. brakel2 profile image73
    brakel2posted 11 years ago

Some people become angry if you don't answer. Sometimes it is hard to reach my grown children at important times. However. it is their decision. I respect their choice. We don't take our cell phones with us all the time either.

If they expect you to be available wheneverthey call, there's acertain amount of disrespet going on there

2. Alexander Mark profile image79
      Alexander Markposted 11 years agoin reply to this

People get angry when you don't answer? That's abuse!

13. rex michaels profile image79
    rex michaelsposted 11 years ago

Turn them off once in awhile and reconnect with yourself. It scares me to some extent the reliance, or is dependency on cell phones, Internet, and yet it is where we are as a society today. But some days it's nice to unconnect with the world

Like this. Sometimes it seems to me that people get out of touch with themselves if they're always "on call"..

14. Alexander Mark profile image79
    Alexander Markposted 11 years ago

No! I love being able to call or be called wherever I am, but not anytime. On Sunday night (my Friday), the phone goes off until I get up. I hate to miss an emergency call, but whatever happens happens, sometimes my phone will ring in the middle of my sleep and it's never important (I work late and sleep late).

The thing to remember is when you drive out of cell range, you're not going to turn around just to be available are you? So why do we think we are not justified in turning the phone off once in a while? Theaters and bookstores I usually turn it off (always in the movies of course) and if I choose to take a call at the bookstore I will go outside.

The thing to remember is that the cell phone is for us to use, not for others to abuse us with. I'm starting to find it to be a burden because I pay a lot for my service and I have an expensive phone so I take it with me wherever I go instead of leaving it in the car. I am considering replacing it with a cheap emergency cell and Skype or Google Talk.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)