jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

BC—Before Cellphones

1. Jacqueline4390 profile image90
    Jacqueline4390posted 22 months ago

http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/12765593_f1024.jpg
    Growing up in the 60s, the best source of free entertainment was the TV and our imagination. Turning your mom’s broom upside-down created your riding horse, coke bottles and a ball was your bowling alley and reading wasn’t a chore—it was an adventure. Now, computers, cellphones, laptops and tablets dominate. Unless you choose the right software—no real cognitive skills are required.

If you try turning off the cellphone for a couple of hours; will it lead to cardiac failure?

Jacqueline4390posted 22 months ago in reply to this

Not for me!

2. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 22 months ago

I recently returned from a two week trip without internet and tv service...I did however have use of my cellphone...It's hard to believe that I've  only had a smartphone for a few years and feel that it is essential.
    I guess we need to readjust our thinking to the 60's again! wink

I think it's great to get out of our technology and have some good old fashion fun! At least just once in awhile <smile>

3. Chantelle Porter profile image91
    Chantelle Porterposted 22 months ago

We have a cottage with no TV or Internet. At first we were worried we might be bored. Just the opposite has happened! We've developed new hobbies and really feel so much more relaxed when we are unplugged. Of course, once we return to civilization it's another story. We lapse back into our hooked in habits. Sigh.

Nurturing a hobby is a great way of temporarily weaning ourselves from everyday tech. Sounds like you had a really good time!

4. VationSays profile image87
    VationSaysposted 22 months ago

Haha...this post reminded me of the statement "We are in a generation of smartphones and dumb people"...we need the phones for everything!...But I digress.

People are addicted to their phones. The only reason a phone can be left off for a couple of hours is if a hurricane has swept across county, destroyed power lines, powerbank gets misplaced, and there's no alternative source of power....or if mommy grounds you.

I would truly hope that this is not the case. It makes the average person seem so powerless!

working