Latest hack or ransomware on Windows computers is Microsoft's fault

1. jackclee lm profile image82
    jackclee lmposted 6 months ago

The news today about the mass attack on computers around the world is a warning on just how vulnerable we all are, when we put so much faith in modern technologies.
    It is interesting that the news never report on why we have these viruses? How did they come about? Who enabled them to do what they do?

I have been following this for some time. I blame Microsoft for creating a faulty Operating system software called Windows NT, XP...
    Can you imagine any other product that you buy would require an additional software to protect the product? Why is antivirus software not part of Windows?
    I blame Microsoft for allowing these back doors to exist in the first place which allows the hackers to come up with these viruses and wormware which in turn require buying additional software to detect and protect against these attacks.
    Here is another question. Why Apple Computers don't have the same poblems as Windows?
    Could it be they just have a better Operating System?
    What is your opinion?

2. RonElFran profile image100
    RonElFranposted 6 months ago

Microsoft is to blame, but not because they created an OS that needs security patches. No one has ever created such a complex set of code that didn't have hidden bugs that would only be revealed as the product was in use. It's simply not possible.

But Microsoft is to blame because they discontinued providing security updates for Win XP, knowing that multiplied millions of computers around the world would still be running that OS. They stopped that support because they wanted to move customers to later products like Windows 7/8/10. But they knew millions of customers could not afford to buy the new computers needed to run those products, and would continue to run XP.

What has happened over the last few days was entirely predictable, and the blame lies squarely at Microsoft's door.

1. jackclee lm profile image82
      jackclee lmposted 6 months agoin reply to this

You brought up an interesting sideline. The obsolete XT. I cannot fault Microsoft for this because the users and businesses were all warned many years ahead of the termination. I used to work for a non profit organization. They waited till the last few months before converting all their computers to a newer version. They knew this was a necessary expense. One cannot put theit IT system in jeopardy just to save a few bucks...
      I go back to my original charge. It is possible to minimize the risks by beefing up the OS. Microsoft chose to allow these back doors which may have merit but ultimately is wrong on a technical stand point. You cannot allow someone, even if it is your own IT staff to defeat the OS integrity.  Why are they to be trusted?

working