How do I delete these files from my desktop?

1. nicomp profile image66
    nicompposted 8 years ago

How do I delete these files from my desktop?

I'm running XP SP3. There are files on my desktop that I cannot delete. I am logged in with admin permissions. I have changed the file permissions. I can't drag the files to the recycle bin, I can't right-click / delete, I can't get rid of these stoopid files. I get "Cannot delete file xyz: Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file it not currently in use."

I have rebooted. Everything else works fine. I can delete most files from anywhere on the hard drive.

2. Sunshinerhodes profile image54
    Sunshinerhodesposted 8 years ago

Have you tried going into your control panel and uninstalling the program, I beleive XP has it listed under add and remove, windows 7 lists it as uninstall or change program. If that doesn't work I work contact the maker of the software, try their support online, they should be able to tell you how to remove their unwanted items from your desktop. Good luck.

3. profile image0
    Harwinder Kumarposted 8 years ago

using command dos prompt (CMD) may be it can be delete.

for deleting file on desktop you must know the extension of that file..

don't worry if you find difficulty with finding it..

Goto folder option and then look for "view"..
    uncheck "hide extensions for known file types.."

(for folder option:- go to control panel and switch to classic view if it is switch to category view..then find folder option..}

after that you can see ur file with extension..
    now go to run and then type "cmd" in it and then enter..

A new window will appear..

then for moving to desktop use this comand...
    "cd desktop" write after >

after that next command is "del filename.extension"

where del is command for deleting and extension is three letter word written after "."

thats all..

Closed to reply