jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Hello, What should I do if my Computer is extremely hot, but there is no dust?!

1. profile image45
    thexboxmcgeeposted 7 years ago

Hello, What should I do if my Computer is extremely hot, but there is no dust?!

2. manthy profile image76
    manthyposted 7 years ago

I think you might want to turn it off for a few minutes and let it cool down.
    It is better to be safe than sorry cause if you leave it on it could damage it.

3. Pollyannalana profile image87
    Pollyannalanaposted 7 years ago

My laptop gets really hot sometimes so I have started putting it on a little wooden desk like that fits over my lap almost 8 inches up from and it cools down, since I use it on my bed, but I don't know what you would do with a regular PC, probably turn it off after so much use would be my thought too, to let it cool now and then..

4. profile image55
    amtecadsposted 7 years ago

you could turn it off for a while

a more pratical option would be to purchase some more cooling fans or heat extractor for your pc.

if it is a laptop you could purchase a laptop cooling pad to place your laptop on when you use it to keep it cool.

5. DdraigX profile image61
    DdraigXposted 7 years ago

It can depend on what is occurring with your particular machine. If it is in a hot room and the fans are running constantly then I would definitely say it is over-heating. It could also be that a process or program running on your computer is taking up a lot of CPU and the fan on your CPU is kicking in.

However, to get specific with your situation as you describe it. Make sure it has air flow. If it is a tower/desktop you could try running it with the case off for a little bit. Add a few fans to it to increase the air flow and make sure the power supply unit is dust free. Lift it up off the floor a little bit this will help mitigate dust-bunnies, and take it out of any of those wooden CPU drawers that are common on certain desks.

If you're using a laptop, make sure the laptop fans are not covered when you set the laptop on a desk. I've seen a lot of good laptops place the cooling fans on the bottom where it will get no air flow and totally ruin the laptop after a while.

A program liked Everest (I believe this is the the official website http://www.lavalys.com/community/blog/2 … -available) can help tell you what the temps are for certain system components you're using and where to place fans.  Even an external fan pointed at the machine can sometimes help.