jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Okay.. My TV just made a loud click noise, and cut off. I waited for about 30 mi

1. Karysmatic profile image54
    Karysmaticposted 7 years ago

Okay.. My TV just made a loud click noise, and cut off. I waited for about 30 mins and turned it...

back on. There is sound but no picture. What do I do? Whats wrong with it?

2. jennshealthstore profile image90
    jennshealthstoreposted 7 years ago

Maybe the pic tube blew out. If this is the case, depending on how old the tv is, it might be cheaper to buy a new tv. I think those things are pretty expensive.

3. Karysmatic profile image54
    Karysmaticposted 7 years ago

Its only a few years old. Maybe two. And I think you are right about the expensive part. This is not good at all.

4. profile image51
    Jetsrubyposted 7 years ago

It is probably on the wrong auxillary* or input. Try finding the remote and on it it will say "Input". Depending on your type of cable/box, try switching it around to see if you can get a picture. I would personally try the tv or cable box input if there's one. If you have no remote, on the tv, there should be another choice for input.

If none of this still works...

-Try re-plugging all the wires in the back and then plug them back in to their rightful spots.
    -See if the input cables (yellow, white, and red) are hooked up to the right color spots, or see if there is a cable loose in its jack)
    -Unscrew/rescrew cable wire
    -LASTLY, which is unlikely, because you will be able to fix it...Call Expert/BUY new tv

5. Ben Evans profile image73
    Ben Evansposted 7 years ago

A loud click on a tv is usually the flyback/horizontal output circuit.  This is a high voltage circuit that when collapsed will cause your screen to go black.  The loud lick is when the voltage goes off and the field in the flyback transformer collapses.  Most of the time this is the horizontal output transistor and associated components like capacitors.

In layman's terms, your TV needs to go to the repair shop.  This could be expensive.  Now on most tv's when the flyback/horizontal output goes so does the sound.  There are some tv's where the sound has its own power source.  (All power goes through this circuit except for very old tv's)  I am assuming this is a tv with a tube instead of LCD or plasma.  A snap could be in switching power supply of a later model tv.

In any case, it will be around $150+ US to fix.  I would check the cable connections as the other person mentioned.  A loss of raster can be caused by that so I would check but my hunch is that it is a power supply issue.  I put my self through college repairing tvs and I have heard that click many times........Usually as a just fixed tv has a short that causes it to blow again.