jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Can somebody tell me what the main differences between cable and satellite telev

1. profile image46
    naskotoposted 7 years ago

Can somebody tell me what the main differences between cable and satellite television are?

I need to know in order to make what seems to be a hard decision to me.

2. Nick B profile image81
    Nick Bposted 7 years ago

Cable is delivered via wire to your home where satellite is picked up from radio waves via a satellite dish.

If you're living in England, there are some channels you can't get on cable that you can on satellite, but not many.

The advantage of cable is that it's not affected by the weather, which can happen with satellite during heavy rain or electrical storms.

Both can deliver HD format.

3. profile image0
    Jawa Lunkposted 7 years ago

I have had both, and there are advantages and disadvantages to both of them.

SAT
    pro: CHEAPER than cable was, I have more channels, DVR and receivers in four rooms.  Nice search ability for finding programs and a great scheduler which allows me to record series, or individual shows.  I have been very happy.

con: heavy cloud cover, rain or snow will kill your signal.  I just lost mine last night because of a storm.

CABLE
    pro: easy to split and run cable yourself to many rooms.  no need to worry about signal loss just because of a cloudy day.  Usually no long term commitment like with sat.

con: not as many program choices, parental lock not as good, usually no DVR.

i have had both and have switched back and forth a couple times over the years, and I am very happy with Dish.

4. profile image0
    ankigarg87posted 7 years ago

Basically satellite television uses radio waves sent out by satellites. A satellite dish picks up the radio waves and sends a signal to your television with the information contained in the radio waves. Most signals are encrypted which prevents people from recieving it without paying. Satellite televion often has bad reception during heavy storms due to rainclouds and wind disrupting the radio waves. Cable TV offers access to around 40 channels for about $30-$50/month. Satellite TV offers over 200 stations, as well as pay channels, for about $30-$80/month.

working