jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Our life is like a big brother George Orwell foresaw in his book 1984?

1. Paul Berod profile image68
    Paul Berodposted 7 years ago

Our life is like a big brother George Orwell foresaw in his book 1984?

2. PaulGoodman67 profile image97
    PaulGoodman67posted 7 years ago

No.  Orwell's 1984 world is much more brutal than ours.  But he meant the novel as a warning of what might happen, so we should take heed!

3. Mark Upshaw profile image61
    Mark Upshawposted 7 years ago

Better example would be Brave New World.  Huxley speech shortly before he died revealed his sources for the book as those world leaders that decided this is how they wanted to craft the world for gaining power.

4. OpenConnect profile image59
    OpenConnectposted 7 years ago

I don't think we are falling into Orwell's vision in his book of 1984 but I do think we are losing lots of our privacies.  Orwell talks a lot about the lost of privacy but he talks about it from the standpoint that there's big brother and higher level governments who are removing privacy to control and take advantage of people and society.  I'm not sure if our governments are removing privacies to take advantage of us.  I think it's just a natural evolution of technology that it's a lot easier to obtain information...information on everything, not just people's personal information.

5. readydesigns profile image57
    readydesignsposted 7 years ago

Orwell foresaw a Big Brother government controlling our lives. I think at this point, while we are seeing some encroachment of government surveillance powers, we're seeing more of people voluntarily giving up their privacy to the masses. It's almost like a "little brother" scenario, where we're all watching each other and the government is just enjoying the same easy access to our information that everyone has. Not that this is necessarily a good thing, just a bit different from Orwell's vision.